NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The devil is in the details :p

Not sure if Charlie ever frothed for a flop showing this quarter. I thought it was Q4 this year and Q1 next year he was calling for?

edit: They were expecting 10c per share profit and the results came in 11c, good but not awesome.

They made .19 not .11. They will make at least .22 next quater. Why are some of you looking for reasons for NVDA to fail?

Key here is they made 107 million in profit. And they will make another 120+ million next quarter.

NVDA also got back 25 million dollars from insurance reinbursments for the bad chip packs. Could of sworn Charlie said they would owe Billions because of that. Well if they are getting money back then they have overpaid and that is the end of that one.

It's crazy that they estimate 50-100m in lost revenue due to supply constraints. What happened to Charlie's theory of Nvidia pulling out of the high-end? Looks like both AMD and Nvidia simply underestimated demand.

The rumors point at them overstimating their supply.
The limited volumes of newer products and the later deployment of the volume segments may have hindered AMD's uptake.
If demand is simply greater than the sum total of what AMD can provide, Nvidia can maintain some share by default.

I could see AMD overestimating supply of 40nm given TSMC's woes but that won't explain the shortage of 55nm Nvidia parts.

If they overestimated the number of EG cards AMD would be able to ship then they could've underestimated the number of their own cards they would be able to sell.

I like Nvidia Products. I like ATI products aswell. I own both. But I dont really care for either company as a whole as both lie, cheat and finger point. And Nvidia can now add, SCREW EVERYONE to their list of SOP.

http://www.overclock3d.net/news.php?/cpu_mainboard/nvidia_quash_msi_s_lucid_powered_big_bang_board/1

lol it really never ends with Nvidia.

Thank god they don't make CPUs, otherwise no one would be able to play any games or use a computer if someone had either an nv CPU or GPU and not both :rolleyes:

What comes next? Nvidia throwing even more millions at developers/publishers to put in complete game lockouts unless the consumer use their GPUs?

That whole MSIgate rumour about the squashed Lucid board was already debunked by someone who works for MSI. There's nothing more to this story than just another example of Charlie Demerijan's imagination run wild.

Sorry drama queens time to find the next bandwagon. ;)

That whole MSIgate rumour about the squashed Lucid board was already debunked by someone who works for MSI.

Riiiiight.
It is in MSI's best interest to quickly shove this under the rug. They already spent the R&D on the product. If MSI had not caved to Nvidia's demands they'd be left with a dead product (NF200 board without SLI license) and another being only usable by a sub segment of the market (Lucid board locked out of SLI by drivers and only usable as a Crossfire alternative). The release of the NF200 board confirms that they will block the Lucid chip in drivers anyways.

It's crazy that they estimate 50-100m in lost revenue due to supply constraints.
Maybe exactly this helped them. Selling stocks of GT200s/GT200Bs and reducing their production could make nice profit. Jen Hsun mentioned (about 2Q ago), that GT200 GPUs, which are on stock, will generate only profit (if I understand it well, production costs of these GPUs were charged in previous quarters)...

Riiiiight.
It is in MSI's best interest to quickly shove this under the rug. They already spent the R&D on the product. If MSI had not caved to Nvidia's demands they'd be left with a dead product (NF200 board without SLI license) and another being only usable by a sub segment of the market (Lucid board locked out of SLI by drivers and only usable as a Crossfire alternative). The release of the NF200 board confirms that they will block the Lucid chip in drivers anyways.

Riiiiight....

That whole MSIgate rumour about the squashed Lucid board was already debunked by someone who works for MSI. There's nothing more to this story than just another example of Charlie Demerijan's imagination run wild.

So is Alex Myers an alias Charlies writes under?

There are several things Nvidia does that I've never been able to understand, like their obtuse refusal to document their hardware (even the $5 GigE ASIC in their chipsets).

They're getting a bit of bad PR lately with all the Fermi delays and the Batman:AA fiasco so things like this, if it is true, aren't exactly helping.

So is Alex Myers an alias Charlies writes under?

We've got a helpful service going on this board; members like Neliz will instantly link up any brainfart that Charlie comes up with. So this particular amusing bit of conjecture was already in circulation well before Alex put up his article. Heck, perhaps the fact that Alex lists the infamous SemiAccurate as his only source might've provided a clue as well.

They're getting a bit of bad PR lately with all the Fermi delays and the Batman:AA fiasco so things like this, if it is true, aren't exactly helping.

Yeah it is a funny world, isn't it. Even the fact that Nvidia provided its customers with AA and Physx support in a rather sweet title has somehow been turned into bad press.

Good thing then that at least MSIgate isn't true. Not that I doubt that this rumour is going to be floating around for some time to come regardlessly.

Yeah it is a funny world, isn't it. Even the fact that Nvidia provided its customers with AA and Physx support in a rather sweet title has somehow been turned into bad press.

Yep, Maybe it's because they now found out that the nvidia provided code let's ATI cards actually do part of the AA computing but not allow them to display it. Tell me, was Brian Burke's finger wet?

P.S. Yes, Charlie is my Biological father.

They made .19 not .11. They will make at least .22 next quater. Why are some of you looking for reasons for NVDA to fail?

Key here is they made 107 million in profit. And they will make another 120+ million next quarter.

NVDA also got back 25 million dollars from insurance reinbursments for the bad chip packs. Could of sworn Charlie said they would owe Billions because of that. Well if they are getting money back then they have overpaid and that is the end of that one.
Woah easy there, its not like I was poking fun with your daughter that you got so defensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back