NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to up the amount up to 5000 pieces and it would still tell me it's in stock. anyone wager a guess how much G98's are nVentory?
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Funnay! But however many they had it appears they've sold 'em all already. ;)

I was able to up the amount up to 5000 pieces and it would still tell me it's in stock. anyone wager a guess how much G98's are nVentory?
I wonder if they'll include these in their sales figures?

Nvidia's reporting on thursday for the quarter from Barrons:
For the April quarter, the Street consensus is for $502.6 million and a loss of 11 cents a share; for the July quarter, the Street sees $529.3 million and a loss of 7 cents.
If true, something for everyone - if your optimist really good against what they did last quarter($481m), if your a pessimist not so good compared to the same quarter last year($1153m).

Hopefully the analysts will ask some decent questions at the conference call ie how's their x86 design progressing? the problems they are having with the 40nm ramp and the wild rumour they are taking their 40nm designs to UMC? Obviously their dx11 parts, progress on ion and tegra, commodization of their core business and finally some $$ projections over the next few quarters/years on gpgpu.

Hopefully the analysts will ask some decent questions at the conference call ie how's their x86 design progressing? the problems they are having with the 40nm ramp and the wild rumour they are taking their 40nm designs to UMC? Obviously their dx11 parts, progress on ion and tegra, commodization of their core business and finally some $$ projections over the next few quarters/years on gpgpu.

The answer a few of these questions would be "We don't have any product anouncements for today".
Don't ever get your hopes up to get juciy information about unannounced products in a CC.

rendezvous, you're right, but when it comes to x86 if an analyst was smart enough you could come up with a really good question that Jen-Hsun just couldn't resist to answer. That happened once in early 2007 and he gave quite a revealing answer, but later comments implied his position had changed quite a bit. On the rest though, any analyst would indeed be wasting his time...

Nvidia's reporting on thursday for the quarter from Barrons:

If true, something for everyone - if your optimist really good against what they did last quarter($481m), if your a pessimist not so good compared to the same quarter last year($1153m).

Most of that increase quarter on quarter from Q4 08 is the fact that they wrote down (took the hit) on existing inventory in Q4 08.

After that, those products are being cleared and thus are basically selling for pure profit.

Hopefully they include it in their financial breakdown like AMD did for how much it made from selling items that was written down in Q4 08.

Regards,
SB

Revenue came in at $664m quite a bit above what was forecast. Gross margins are way down 28.6%. Expecting this to recover somewhat to 32-34% on a 5% increase of sales in the second quarter.

Re getting answers to your questions. Obviously it would be a waste of time to ask them in a direct fashion as just gets the execs back up.

ie For the commodization of their business, perhaps try asking about margins and whether they expect it to get anywhere near 40% before the end of the year. A negative or hesitant answer, implies they know their main gpu business is headed towards commodity.

Similarly for their 40nm products, the first 3 reside in the mainstream segment, could simply ask how that segment is expected to perform over the next quarter or two. Also with suppliers(this is more difficult to get a good answer) ask if they expect any cost savings from there or merely a continuation ie status quo at the current price levels.

Finally for GPGPU they need to give investors some hope that it will make $$ in the future.

Not the transcript, but some brief notes on the CC:
A/R was down 18 days to 42 DSO. Inventory levels dropped from 145 days to 64 days. [yikes!]
For Q2 the company sees revenues up 5% or so sequentially and gross margins to be up; puts the number around $697M versus current consensus of $536M.

Lots of questions around 65nm versus 40nm ramp and 55nm. ION is on 55nm. Suggestion is that about 25% of production will be 40nm by end of year.
With respect to ION the numbers suggest about $100M of revenues in the quarter with a little over 50% of that being Apple
Says they would be disappointed not to do $50M in Tegra revenue this year and should exit the year at something like a $100M run rate.

Conference call transcript is here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Margins of 28.6%.
Oh well where is the defender that Nvidia is having 40%++ margins?
Prolly waiting to tell us that AMD forced NVidia to give-up ~6% in gross margins through drastically cutting prices in order to buy market share.

Jawed

OK, that was a bit of a shocker for me. I was expecting Nvidia's margins to be up greatly similar to how AMD's margins are up.

Considering AMD is in a price war with not only Nvidia but a much more aggressive Intel, I really had been under the assumption that Nvidia's margins would be 30% at the very least.

Was anything mentioned about how much profit/loss was made?

Regards,
SB

OK, that was a bit of a shocker for me. I was expecting Nvidia's margins to be up greatly similar to how AMD's margins are up.

Considering AMD is in a price war with not only Nvidia but a much more aggressive Intel, I really had been under the assumption that Nvidia's margins would be 30% at the very least.

Was anything mentioned about how much profit/loss was made?

Regards,
SB

NV lost about $200M.

DK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back