NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/200809030805PR_NEWS_USPR_____DCW009.htm

NEW YORK, Sept. 3 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Amplifying consumer ire, labor union UNITE HERE has launched blog site http://www.mynvidiafail.org demanding that nVIDIA (Nasdaq: NVDA) recall flawed laptop chips. The chip failure affects an undisclosed number of laptops, stopping them from booting up and causing display screens to go dark.

(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20070817/CLF013LOGO )

nVIDIA’s July 2, 2008 SEC 8-K filing describes the chip defect as "a weak die/packaging material set found in certain versions of [its] previous generation MCP and GPU products used in notebook systems." nVIDIA has not publicly disclosed which chips are at risk of product failure.

nVIDIA’s second quarter fiscal year 2009 financial results, released August 12, show nVIDIA took a $196 million charge for repair costs on the defective chips. An August 19th article in the Wall Street Journal, "Chip Problems Haunt Nvidia, PC Makers," quotes JoAnne Feeney, an analyst at FTN Midwest Securities Corp., as saying she is concerned that nVIDIA’s $196 million might not be sufficient. nVIDIA’s CEO Jen-Hsun Huang states, "So we think we have a pretty good handle on the situation but - and we thought that we were relatively conservative but we’ll see how it goes."

Jim Dupont, Vice President of UNITE HERE International states, "The $196 million charge means very little if we do not know which chips and which laptops are affected or how many of the defective chips were sold. In order for nVIDIA to reinstate consumer confidence they must reveal and recall defective chips."

Given the degree of uncertainty around nVIDIA’s computer chips, UNITE HERE has taken steps to increase consumer and investor awareness. UNITE HERE is calling on nVIDIA to take greater responsibility for their products’ defects and issue a recall before consumers, computer companies like Dell and HP, regulatory agencies, law firms, or additional consumer watchdogs intervene. For more information on UNITE HERE’s Consumer Recall, see http://www.mynvidiafail.org.

SOURCE UNITE HERE

UNITE HERE does seem to be a legitimate labor union (Seamstresses and hotel workers, mostly). Why in the world they'd take a hand in this is rather a puzzler.

Ahhh. . .

My Nvidia Fail is an independent blog created by UNITE HERE. NVIDIA did not sponsor its content. UNITE HERE has a labor dispute with ARAMARK, a vendor for NVIDIA.

Wow, that's basically some indirect protection money they are after there. The Mob would be proud of that maneuver.

"Be a darn shamed if Nvidia decided you were more trouble than you're worth, doncha think?"

Wow, that's basically some indirect protection money they are after there. The Mob would be proud of that maneuver.

"Be a darn shamed if Nvidia decided you were more trouble than you're worth, doncha think?"
I think there was something about nvidia or ARAMARK not allowing the cafeteria staff to unionize. That would probably explain the labor dispute.

-FUDie

I would imagine that right about now Nvidia is telling Aramark --"get these people to stfu, or we're taking our business elsewhere".

biglol.gif

This is the kind of thing that shows up in a "corporate responsiblity to the community statement" as. . . . "assisted in unionization of local food service industry providing many well-paying jobs to disadvantaged members of the community." If it goes that way, might as well make lemonade. ;)

This is the kind of thing that shows up in a "corporate responsiblity to the community statement" as. . . . "assisted in unionization of local food service industry providing many well-paying jobs to disadvantaged members of the community." If it goes that way, might as well make lemonade. ;)

:LOL:
I bet you will end up right on the money.

Speaking of which. How many people have been to Nvidia's cafeteria. I like that cafeteria ;) Pretty sure me and Rys had lunch in it one time. ^^

Looks like the not unexpected class-action suit for the faulty chips (specifically misleading investors on it for a year) has finally arrived.

The short story is this, it alleges that the defendants, Nvidia Corp, Jen-Hsun Huang and Marvin Burkett knew about the problem as early as last year, and filed SEC reports that made no mention of it and the problems it allegedly caused and are still causing for PC manufacturers and consumers.
These 'overlooked' items and some others ended up in a surprise charge of almost half a billion dollars, tanking the stock.
Meanwhile, the suit alleges, Nvidia officers were making bullish statements about the company. This led investors astray, and cost them a lot of money when the stock went over a cliff, the lawsuit claims.
The suit, a class action, is on behalf of people who bought or owned Nvidia stock during the relevant time periods.

Oh, didn't know that. So wtf do they have to do with nV?

Apparently Aramark is not fully union or non-union. They go location by location (aka "shop" in union parlance). The union is trying to organize Aramark's operation at Nvidia's cafeteria. They've decided as a tactic to embarrass Aramark by using their friends in the media to publicize nvidia's recent mobile graphics problems. I called it an attempt at "protection money" upstream, and that's very clearly what it looks like to me. They are obviously hoping that Nvidia will say to Aramark "get these people to shut up or we'll let you go and find someone else to run our cafeteria" and that Aramark in turn will agree to unionize the shop at nvidia's cafeteria rather than lose the business.

Clear?

Prolly depends whether this is true, or not: "The pink slip strategy will affect all departments and it will be global, not region specific".

Jawed

I like the part where he says the gpu is only worth $20. Now if only the vendors would sell them for that. ( at dell a $100 charge is about the minimum for an upgrade to discrete gpu).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back