nVidia shader patent (REYES/Raytracing/GI) destined for PS3?

version said:
london-boy said:
The thing is, i don't see why they would cancel their PC product if their PS3 GPU will be based on the same architecture!!
Of course it's just a rumour, but even as a rumour it sounds strange.
It's not like they haven't got the capabilities to work on more than one chip at the same time... Especially if the 2 chips are similar...?

pc will run ps3's games ?, NO, sony not idiot

What are you on about?
It's not like Sony are gonna force NVIDIA to stop producing parts for PC for fear that PCs might be able to run PS3 games! :LOL: :rolleyes:

london-boy said:
If the PS3 GPU is based on NVIDIA's next gen architecture (NV50), why would NVIDIA cancel the NV50 for PC? Doesn't make sense.
My guess: PS3 and pleasing Sony is about 1000000x more important than coming out with another $500 PC card.

As for why they dropped the NV50, it likely has to do with how different their PS3 chip will be. Cut down or removed vertex processing. More cache/embedded RAM. Only chip needed (not entire card).

I don't think there's a single nvidia investor that would agree with your statement (well there's may be one or two, but they are probably crazy.). PS3 is important, but not more important then their core PC oriented business. I could swear I read some analyst mention that this deal could potentially be less money compared to the xbox deal (since it's a tech licensing deal and they aren't selling chips directly).

If I recall, when Nvidia provided a graphics chip for Xbox, they too delayed the launch of new technology in favour of a geforce 3 refresh. Then they rolled the tech from the XGPU back into the geforce 4 (with what little differences exsisted) the following year.

The thing is, i don't see why they would cancel their PC product if their PS3 GPU will be based on the same architecture!!
Of course it's just a rumour, but even as a rumour it sounds strange.
It's not like they haven't got the capabilities to work on more than one chip at the same time... Especially if the 2 chips are similar...?

IMO, I think that NVidia has changed directions on where they wanted to be with their next PC GPU. They must've realized that they where going down the same path (more performance/some additoinal features) with NV48/NV50. At the same time they where working with Sony and closed the deal on the GPU work thus allowing them to use some SONY IP (maybe Toshiba). So Nvidia realized they can get better performanceing and in addition bridging this generation rendering with next gen rendering techniques of possibly REYES, Ray tracing. Possibly PS3 will represent a main focus techinque of REYES, ray traceing, GI..etc.[/quote]

You really think ray tracing is gogint o be a big part of the PS3's graphics capabilites?

I dunno, I just think it's a step beyond what anyone should expect in a console for next generation.

does anyone here believe that raytracing, global illumination, and those other almost-impossible-to-do-now-in-realtime (on current conventional hw) types of graphics will not really be done on PS3, but more like PS4 ?

edit: seems that Qroach and I have a similar question :)

I think the possibilty of some form of ray tracing is more than likely...Examples: Sony's pantent in a form of ray tracing is used, unreal engine 3 is to have some form of ray tracing.

hey we did have the same question :)

Well unreal engine 3 is design around PC style hardware (obviously since where else are you going to develop with pixel shaders ). However where did you read it uses raytracing?

NO WAY they're going to do ray-tracing. Not only hardware and memory access is still too slow to do RT with the number of passes needed to produce great looking images, but it would also mean radical changes in gpu/development tools. I just can't see nVIDIA making such a radical change in their new line of GPU's.

Well, technically that is the direction Nvidia is heading. Whether it will happen any time soon is the real question.

Qroach said:
I don't think there's a single nvidia investor that would agree with your statement (well there's may be one or two, but they are probably crazy.). PS3 is important, but not more important then their core PC oriented business. I could swear I read some analyst mention that this deal could potentially be less money compared to the xbox deal (since it's a tech licensing deal and they aren't selling chips directly).

If I recall, when Nvidia provided a graphics chip for Xbox, they too delayed the launch of new technology in favour of a geforce 3 refresh. Then they rolled the tech from the XGPU back into the geforce 4 (with what little differences exsisted) the following year.

A single card doesn't even come close to the revenue a single console contract can bring in, Xbox revenues amounted to something like 20% of Nvidias revenue for a long time...so having a long-term contract I think is more important than any single card, they can always rebound, its not like they are quitting PC development for 5 years as the ps3 has its run.

I have no doubt that RT is the future. I bet the guys at ATI/nVidia are dying to produce something fast enough to do a realtime rt. But IMO, it will only be worth while when they be able to do real good quality raytracing. Otherwise, shaders will still beat RT by far in image quality. Right now, most realtime raytraced images are pretty plain and ugly.

A single card...
That sells for how many years and at what price? I wouldn't be suprised if Nvidia made more money off a single card, then they did from all the components supplied for a single xbox.

doesn't even come close to the revenue a single console contract can bring in, Xbox revenues amounted to something like 20% of Nvidias revenue for a long time...
Like I said, This deal with sony is a licensing deal, not the same as MS buying fabbed chips from Nvidia, where Nvidia can control the price and factor in profits. Nvidia will obviously get a royaltee but I don't think that will be more than they would get from a single video card sale, or the high price MS "had" to pay.

Alejux said:
I have no doubt that RT is the future. I bet the guys at ATI/nVidia are dying to produce something fast enough to do a realtime rt. But IMO, it will only be worth while when they be able to do real good quality raytracing. Otherwise, shaders will still beat RT by far in image quality. Right now, most realtime raytraced images are pretty plain and ugly.

A quick post just before I pop out, read the title of this thread...and the patent...It's a shader implementation for REYES that also enables raytracing/GI algorithms to be applied and optimised! ;)

However where did you read it uses raytracing?

A form of ray tracing..."Normal-mapped translucent object distorts and attenuates the frame buffer, simulating ray-traced reflections."

unrealtechnology.com

Also, check this out.... "In summary, we were able to support all the traditional effects of Quake 3 while mosteffects were significantly simpler to implement. Looking at newer engines such as Unreal3, we still see no effects that could not be supported easily by ray tracing."

http://216.239.63.104/search?q=cach...ing.pdf+unreal+engine+3+ray+tracing&hl=en

[/quote]

A form of ray tracing..."Normal-mapped translucent object distorts and attenuates the frame buffer, simulating ray-traced reflections."
This "form of rayracing" has been used in games since at least ~1995, if not earlier.

Which graphics card has been sold 100 million times so far?

How often do people or system vendors purchase graphics cards? How many different types of graphics cards are on the market at any one time?

I'm pretty confident that we'll see RT raytracing, radiosity, GI, etc in future consoles. X3-N6-PS4 if not X4-N7-PS5. I think that X2-N5-PS3 are going to be far too slow and weak (ha!) to acomplish these advanced rendering techniques in RT in games, and have complex visuals on top of it.

Qroach said:
Which graphics card has been sold 100 million times so far?

How often do people or system vendors purchase graphics cards? How many different types of graphics cards are on the market at any one time?

I'm sure you have the numbers... enlighten me. ;)

on the other hand, did you also factor in that Sony will be ultimately be fabbing these chips once Nvidia's work is done? Did you factor in how much work Nvidia will be doing in the lifespan the PS3 is expected to sell and how much money on royalties will be made in that time... :oops:

Back