Photon Mapping

Discussion in 'Rendering Technology and APIs' started by chris1515, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

How do you design hardware to trace a limited ray count? That's like suggesting a GPU is designed to only shade a number of pixels to make it faster at shading that number of pixels. You have a number of compute units, and these process pixel shaders, and shade pixels, whatever the resolution. You can't make a compute unit faster by limiting it to 1080p framebuffers. The ROPS draw the pixels, however many you want, as quickly as they can. You can't make a ROP faster by limiting it to 1080p framebuffers. Likewise, with ray tracing, you cast rays, however many you choose, a handful for AI, and billions for total scene illumination. Once your hardware has traced all those rays, whether on CPU or compute or accelerated HW, you have your data to use however you want, such as constructing an image. The process of tracing a ray is independent of screen size.

I am unable to envision a hardware design that can trace rays in a finite number, unless you have literally 2 million sampling units that can each trace one ray per frame for a 1080p image. Realistically, HWRT is going to be a form of processor that'll take workloads and produce results as quickly as it can, to be used however they are used.

Perhaps, thinking aloud, as ideas come to me, the RT process is coarse grained, not tracing down to the geometry level, making it suitable for lighting but not sharp reflections? That would involve less memory so allow caches to be more effective. Hardware cone-tracing? Well, no, it's called ray tracing in the slide.

2. Dictator

Newcomer

I was not talking about the HW limiting the ray count or something (well, AMD does limit the tessellation factor manually or automatically in its driver actually on PC as an example), sorry if it came off that way. Rather I was talking about the implementation in theoretical games games. Like the devs limis the ray count - or AMD RT sponsored titles would design the ray count on casting based upon specific AMD HW limitations/features.

3. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Not sure I understand. Devs can and should be free to cast however many rays they want. We already see RTX scaling ray counts depending on which box you have, and distributing rays based on importance.

4. JoeJ

Regular Newcomer

Ofc you always adjust to what the hardware can do, but just take the Crytek demo which gets good results even without HW. Seems there is no need to worry much.
    If their RT would be so weak it makes sense only with help from the cloud they would just drop it i guess.
    Dealing with limitations / decisions like 'can barely trace the characters' would cause a lot of complexity for little benefit - they would drop it as well.

chris1515 likes this.
  5. chris1515

Veteran Regular

pharma likes this.
  6. chris1515

Veteran Regular

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1370631710/

Photon mapping???

7. milk

Veteran Regular

Why?

8. chris1515

Veteran Regular

Because I doubt they will used point cloud rendering for geometry like in Dreams it can come from lighting solution the datastructure for photon mapping looks like a point cloud or maybe far fetched but we never know they can do like in pixar renderman and approximate direct illumination with point cloud lighting.

https://graphics.pixar.com/library/HQRenderingCourse/paper.pdf