nVidia shader patent (REYES/Raytracing/GI) destined for PS3?

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by j^aws, Dec 8, 2004.

1. j^aws

Veteran

System and method of adjusting ray origins when shading vertices with rays

I know I can't help myself, so sue me! :p

But with some talk of what PS3 may do prior to this nVidia announcement, this patent would be a suitable match for PS3 and CELL, no? Especially with Peter Hofstee's recent talk of physics based modelling, ray casting etc. With the importance of shading technology next gen, it's the only patent filed by nVidia that mentions REYES, ray-tracing and global illumination that I could find! :D Even if it's not for PS3, it's still interesting! :)

2. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

So what exactly is it that this patent does? It's not immediately obvious for someone that isn't a graphics programmer and versed in patent legalese. :D

Also, what is it that it does different than other raycasting schemes that makes it patentable? :p

3. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

It has more the's in the patent.

4. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

That patent is from Larry Gritz.
    Mr. Gritz is an ex Pixar who founded Ex Luna. ExLuna got acquired by NVIDIA a couple of years ago. NVIDIA also settled some patents litigation between Pixar and ExLuna.
    IIRC Gritz also developed BMRT (Blue Moon Rendering Tool) the first renderman compliant interface ray tracer (it used some kind of global illumination algorithm too..) who was used as ray server when PRMAN didn't supported ray tracing.
    Now he's working on GELATO. That patent is about ExLuna rendering technology, now owned by NVIDIA.

ciao,
    Marco

5. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

Um, thanks for all the background infos, but like I said in my other post, what does it DO, exactly? :p

Also, I have to ask... Do you have some kind of patent fetish or something? You even keep track of who develops what for whom, and which companies sue each other and then pays the bills... :D

6. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

He's actually a 8 headed, tentacle armed alien, plugged to the internet, and everytime the word "patent" goes through him, he wakes up and posts here.

7. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

So why didn't he post when the Abdominal Chruncher was patented, huh? :D

8. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

He did, in the fatgeek.com message boards.

9. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

That patent is about how efficiently merge REYES algorithm with ray tracing.
    Larry Gritz started many years ago (when he worked at Pixar) to study how to improve REYES:

BMRT: A Global Illumination Implementation
    of the RenderMan Standard

I'm not a patent fetish (OMG :roll:) or an 8 headed alien, I just have a good memory and a nice list of names and terms to check on patent databases. Actually, browsing that list, it takes me 15 minutes (one check per week) to make a full scan of the interesting new patents.. 8)

10. j^aws

Veteran

If this Sony-nVidia collaboration opens up access to these forms of patents/IPs including ones accessible through STI, I can see this being as an extremely bright and fruitfull move. :)

If they had a paticular direction in mind with CELL and PS3, the last thing they would've wanted was to get hindered by patents and make compromises. And this patent is a juicy one to have access to! :p

11. McFly

Veteran

So they needed Nvidia for REYES? Has Pana anything to do with this? ;)

Fredi

PS: Reading the patent now.

12. j^aws

Veteran

Well I hate to speculate, (ahem...yeah right!) but nAo mentioned that ExLuna got bought by nVidia a couple of years ago... and when did nVidia start work on the PS3 GPU...hmm?...Maybe they could implement something from this in hardware for the PS3 GPU? :twisted:

And no, Pana had nothing to do with this... ;)

13. Xenus

Veteran

Wouldn't the fact that Nvidia says they are making a customized version of their next generation gpu rule out REYES unless Nvidia is lying again. :?
    For no matter how much better it is it has to haev an Api to stand on and of course devolopers do not like change. Thus microsoft will continue DirectX in it's direction leaving Nvidia out to dry. :cry:

14. McFly

Veteran

Google, your best friend (or maybe not):

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/IO_20020612_7133.html

That was some months before Sony and Nvidia started working together. Maybe this new GPU is the hardware realistation of the software ideas they had earlier that year and Sony was the perfect partner to realise it.

Fredi

15. Xenus

Veteran

Yes I know but the problem is the programming industry will resist radical change. They always liked to be backwards compatable and REYES wouldn't do that therefore Nvidia maybe hesitant to use it in there next generation of gpu simply because they are afraid if they take the risk no one will follow and they will be hung out to dry. It is not so much wether it is feasible or even better but will they be able to make money when they do it.

16. McFly

Veteran

Yeah, we need more infos from Sony or Nvidia. ;)

However:

Imagine Stream processors and REYES:

http://shorterlink.com/?1GNQ4F

Fredi

17. V3

V3
    Veteran

18. j^aws

Veteran

19. Megadrive1988

Veteran

I watched the Hofstee video. extremely interesting to see someone who is at the heart of Cell's design talk about it. I could easily understand what he was saying. thanks for posting the vid.

even if PS3 does not reach 1,000 times the performance of PS2 as Sony stated in fall 1999, at least they might reach the '18,000 times PS1' performance, which was a mid-to-late 1990s desire of game developers, according to Sony.

i.e. Sony states that PS2 is 300 times the performance of PS1. therefore PS3 would only need to be 60 times the performance of PS2. unless my math is flawed :) again, going by Sony's figures and Sony's thinking.

20. gurgi

Regular

Except maybe in a proprietary machine that doesn't need to be backwards compatible with every hardware accelerated game on the x86 platform?.. something like, a game console? =P

Sure, they couldn't slap the tech into thier next generation PC gpu, but how many PS2s are out there again? ;)