nVidia release new all singing all dancing dets.

BoardBonobo said:
Some FSAA stuff levered directly from the drivers:

4X Mixedsampling (skewed grid, 8-tap filter)
4X Mixedsampling (skewed grid)
4X Multisampling (Gaussian)
4X Multisampling
4X Supersampling (skewed grid, 8-tap filter)
4X Supersampling (skewed grid)
4X Supersampling (Gaussian)
4X Supersampling
4X Supersampling (LOD bias)
2X Supersampling (Quincunx)
2X Quincunx
2X Multisampling
2X Supersampling (vertical)
2X Supersampling (horizontal)

Supersampling and Multisampling galore!

Where did you find this stuff?
Maybe these are AA modes that will make it into NV30? That would be quite the assortment. :)

Lincoln

martrox said:
Here is an example of just how deluded the internet press is:

http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/S&V/det40.shtml

While even the most jaded nVidia supporter here will admit that there are issues with this driver, this is the kind of garbage that the majority of the internet passes on as "real" journalism. Here's the final conclusion:

"It is certainly good to see NVIDIA putting work into its drivers. Of course, we'd much rather see NV30 or even a functional nForce2 board for that matter. The new Detonator 40.41 drivers deliver on what NVIDIA claims, though. Mainly, gamers get a little extra performance and more business-oriented users have a couple new features to increase productivity. The inclusion of anisotropic filtering support has been long overdue, but for the most part, the feature is still too slow to be used at high resolutions. From a logistical point of view, the new control panel is much easier to navigate and should be very easy to adapt to. Now, if only ATI could take a hint and simplify the myriad of quality and performance settings cluttering the Catalyst drivers..."

This is the reason to applaud B3D for their inciteful reporting. I bet HotHardware is on the "A" list to recieve the newest nVidia hardware.....

Predictable...

Det4 Review - 9/02/02 12:35 pm - By: Typedef Enum - Source: 3DChipset
HotHardware does the best job of evaluating the new Det. 4 drivers.
nVidia has stated that Pixel Shaders will see the biggest jump, but you cannot overlook the other improvements, namely D3D A.F. options, general A.F. optimizations, and a much better panel layout.

Somehow Type and Hothardware forgot to list the huge bug list i.e Quake 3 washed out same for RTCW and Dark, MotoGP issues, Anisotropic settings fubarred especially 8X..., flashing textures in 3Dmark...what did this site just do, they just told everyone this is a great driver and how many people are now going to install it and have issues..

I.e.. 8X ??
http://www.3dgpu.com/misc_images/ss28x.jpg

No improvement with games with Pixel Shader equipped games.. Comanche 4 and actually lost frames in another stressing benchmark with the Codecult Creature demo.

http://www.pc-extreme.com/artikel/detonator-test/detonator4041/

Good to see Matt Burris posting like a internet journalist should..the real results...thanks for saving people some trouble.

Lincoln Bauman said:
Where did you find this stuff?
Maybe these are AA modes that will make it into NV30? That would be quite the assortment. :)
I really hope NV30 is able to do much better than that (eg. some 6x jittered grid AA like R9700)

I really hope NV30 is able to do much better than that (eg. some 6x jittered grid AA like R9700)

Only if they have some form of compression for the samples like the Radeon9700 has with HyperZ. Otherwise the Radeon9700 will walk all over it in performance.

Doomtrooper said:
Somehow Type and Hothardware forgot to list the huge bug list i.e Quake 3 washed out same for RTCW and Dark, MotoGP issues, Anisotropic settings fubarred especially 8X..., flashing textures in 3Dmark...what did this site just do, they just told everyone this is a great driver and how many people are now going to install it and have issues..

Well, considering some of these problems only are experienced by some people the correct thing to say would be "some people are reporting problems". You make it sound like thise bugs happen to every user. Personally I have no problems in Q3A, RTCW and no flashing textures. 8X is fucked, yes. All other anisotropic levels are fine. You say "especially 8X" that would be a mistake I guess. A typo.

I guess your not going to let this one go :) I have not heart you complain about R300 not being able to use FSAA in 16-bit. Or not doing AA on alpha-textures. Not THERE is a driverbug :D And they don't even plan to fix it (the 16b thing) HAHA.

Galilee, just when was the last time YOU played anything in 16 bit.....maybe when you had that last Voodoo 3 card? :rolleyes: And, as far as AA on alpha-textures, seems I am having a bit of a problem with that on my Geforces........for the last 2 1/2 years!

Galilee said:
Doomtrooper said:

Well, considering some of these problems only are experienced by some people the correct thing to say would be "some people are reporting problems". You make it sound like thise bugs happen to every user. Personally I have no problems in Q3A, RTCW and no flashing textures. 8X is fucked, yes. All other anisotropic levels are fine. You say "especially 8X" that would be a mistake I guess. A typo.

I guess your not going to let this one go :) I have not heart you complain about R300 not being able to use FSAA in 16-bit. Or not doing AA on alpha-textures. Not THERE is a driverbug :D And they don't even plan to fix it (the 16b thing) HAHA.

The average Joe Schmoe counts on these sites to post the truth, there is a bug list on these drivers as long as a my credit card bill.
Not one mention of these is my complaint, or the fact 8X is toast, or that Pixel Shader games like Comanche 4 and Codecult lost frames..
nVidia has stated that Pixel Shaders will see the biggest jump
Is a load of BS, 3Dmark Nature got a boost or is every site besides this one misleading the public. ..bahhh

martrox said:
Galilee, just when was the last time YOU played anything in 16 bit.....maybe when you had that last Voodoo 3 card? :rolleyes: And, as far as AA on alpha-textures, seems I am having a bit of a problem with that on my Geforces........for the last 2 1/2 years!

Well it's just funny because alpha-textures is evey ATI fan's biggest complain about FSAA on GF 3/4.

Wow, 22 pages.. This must be serious! If it gets any larger, it'll rival the size of the "religion/existance of God" thread that took place on Beyond3d a year or so ago.. Hmm, now that I think about it - the two threads aren't so different! :)

Galilee said:
martrox said:

Well it's just funny because alpha-textures is evey ATI fan's biggest complain about FSAA on GF 3/4.

Why do you have to try and turn everything into company preference?
Alpha textures should be, and ARE, one of the biggest problems with MS. That and a lack of texture AA.
Dear god, you people who cry "f@boy" are like the boy who cried wolf.
Pretty soon no one will care.

EDIT:
As for 16bit, its gone. No reason to use it.
As for Alpha Texture AA, i thought that it did work on R300, BUT that it requires the use of a a special extension, IIRC.

doomtrooper why don't you just go over to the rage3d forum and start whining over there?
There should be enough people who appreciate your comments ;)

The bugs you are reporting do not effect all people.
I don't have these kind of bugs.
The only bug i can see here is that problem with the AF slider but well i still can set the af level in the registry or with tools.
This bug will be fixed in the final release - that's it.

you should work for the ATI PR department maybe then the company will earn at least some money and be a little more successfull in that matter :)

Richthofen said:
doomtrooper why don't you just go over to the rage3d forum and start whining over there?
There should be enough people who appreciate your comments ;)

The bugs you are reporting do not effect all people.
I don't have these kind of bugs.
The only bug i can see here is that problem with the AF slider but well i still can set the af level in the registry or with tools.
This bug will be fixed in the final release - that's it.

you should work for the ATI PR department maybe then the company will earn at least some money and be a little more successfull in that matter :)

This isn't a Nvidia fan site..if you don't like to see the truth then head over there.
This thread alone has many examples of bugs, the 8X shot showing what anisotropic is doing is worth enough to mention, plus 3DGPU and Nvnews threads are filled with issues..including lower IQ..

As usual I guess you are just a exception to the rule, or you are Mr. Mcgoo. :p

So if you are going to deny the results of alot of review sites lets see YOUR big peformance increases in Pixel Shader games (since Nvidia stated thats what they would do).. so we can tell everyone else what they are doing wrong.

http://www.3dchips.net/main/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3223

The Aquamark test seems to show a definate improvement in the benchies done by HotHardware. And doesn't that game rely heavily on shaders?

Does maximum detail include Ansio and FSAA? Only four fps behind the 9700 at 1600x1200.

Look, people, as I have stated before, I have no alegence to any videocard manufacturer. In fact, I haven't owned a ATI card sense a 4 meg Rage2! I do own, at the moment, 8 nVidia cards - 2 TI4600's, 2 GF3's, 2 GF2 200ti's, a GTS and a M64 16 meg tnt. My whole objection here is that nVidia is misrepresenting these drivers to the public, and that it is being perpetuated by almost all of the major sites. This is more than a percieved bias. While many certainly can understand that Beyond3D may be "percieved" as having bias(even though there is none, I feel), there is absolutely no doubt than the major sites ARE biased, this whole fiasco being proof of such. It would be a welcome change to see some honesty from these sites.

I own nVidia cards because they have been the best product availible. nVidia should be proud to just let them stand on their own qualities, not propigate this kind of crap. And, if ATI (or anyone else) should come out with a better product, then let nVidia redouble their efforts to make an even better card. And, all of us consumers should applaud anyone that can produce a better product, no matter who makes it. Fanaticism is just plain stupid, on every concievable level - unless you are the manufacturer :rolleyes:

Anyone that looks at these drivers in an objective way KNOWS they have major problems. They certainly are not what nVidia has said they are.

I wish I were a diamond ring upon nVidias hand.
Then everytime they wiped their arse,
I'd see the promised land

I thank you :)

You know, with all the forum battles that go on between fanATics and Nvidiots, maybe someone should make a scoreboard so we can keep track. Maybe a 2D map showing territories so we can see who's winning, sort of like an online war game. ;)

battle.jpg

my thread on the advantage of the gf3 witrh the new detonator driver have been locked. why?? is it offensive or even sensitive when ppl are freely comparing performance gain with a gf 4 ti??

the reason i asked was to seek info.. its in no way to start a flame war. i just wanted the info. pls

Back