Nvidia Pulling the Plug on GPP

Strix is not ASUS' gaming brand though, that's ROG. Strix is their silent running brand (because you know, strix = latin for owl, which are silent hunters...)
I KNOW but Kyle inferred it at original time of article and if you followed their forum actually reinforced that both GAMING and STRIX would NOT be allowed by not correcting his moderators, and was also picked up like that by other news sites reporting his investigation or when he was interviewed.
You misread my original post context.
Again my post was nothing to do with what is good/bad about GPP but the relevant posts just before mine on same context-subject regarding Gamers Nexus, HardOCP-Kyle, and Ryan Smith, amongst other journalists reporting GPP and what was validated afterwards/methodology.
GamersNexus provided a better context than Kyle IMO, but took longer to get validated facts with context; maybe now though more journalists will be able to dig deeper into this and look forward to analysis if possible from other such as Ryan (who was persisting in trying to do proofed investigation).
Which leads on to the headache AMD is going to have with Intel being headstrong and heavy handed with their agreements and Nvidia looking to pick a fight head on by being just or even more aggressive (and more negative with the Geforce culture), especially if Intel moves quickly with some kind of improved CPU-GPU in future and AMD caught between the two sharks fighting (the aggressive partner-product strategy approach from both is what will hurt AMD).

However to reiterate Kyle does get Kudos for getting this subject traction, which would not have happened without his initial piece, although he is not doing himself any service in attacking some other journalists such as Ryan who has a different journalistic methodology to him.

Last edited:
Kyle is 3edgy5me.
I can't say I'm endorsing the sentiment since I've been busy all day and haven't caught up enough to have an informed opinion, but I LOVED the phrase "3edgy5me" and have no clue if it's a new meme I missed or an original. If it's an original, my hat is off to you and I'm stealing it and gonna use it often. :)

EDITED BITS: It's been around since 2013 and I missed it. :(

Kyle inferred it at original time of article and if you followed their forum actually reinforced that both GAMING and STRIX would NOT be allowed by not correcting his moderators, and was also picked up like that by other news sites reporting his investigation or when he was interviewed.
So he was wrong about a minor detail. It doesn't change the overwhelming of facts he was right about, and which others also confirmed.

Btw, that Strix wasn't affected by GPP was pretty clear, as Asus announced at least one AMD Strix mobo during the period when GPP was still in effect.

EDITED BITS: It's been around since 2013 and I missed it. :(
As a fellow old, I miss these memes and related nonsense all the time. Don't sweat it. :D

I KNOW but Kyle inferred it at original time of article and if you followed their forum actually reinforced that both GAMING and STRIX would NOT be allowed by not correcting his moderators, and was also picked up like that by other news sites reporting his investigation or when he was interviewed.
Kyle might have not known at the time where the line will actually be drawn and the "Gaming" (MSI) is comparable to ROG, not Strix.
Also, you absolutely can't claim someone is reinforcing something just because he's not correcting something (probably volunteer) moderators are saying on the sites forum.

Kyle might have not known at the time where the line will actually be drawn and the "Gaming" (MSI) is comparable to ROG, not Strix.
Also, you absolutely can't claim someone is reinforcing something just because he's not correcting something (probably volunteer) moderators are saying on the sites forum.
My original post is sort getting lost now as it is the sum is greater than the individual points in terms of his approach, it also included how he missed information about Intel having a conflicting partner-product program in place (why some did not sign up and has a downside for AMD competing against both Intel/Nvidia down the line) and also Elric's video that he used without validation from Elric (never will say who the source was for the payment accusation aspect) 'NVIDIA Starts Disinformation GPP Campaign'.
BTW Kyle is active in that thread and responded to various posters, just not those that misconstrued the model name branding (Strix is a branding as well used on gaming models) or Gaming rather than series.

The following link fits more with Grall's point but this puts part of the confusion into perspective and why further context-validation would had helped as Asus calls Strix a brand as well which ties into gaming: https://rog.asus.com/articles/news/asus-announces-new-strix-brand/
For graphics cards it will both replace some standard DirectCU II models with additional features, as well as offer an alternative in both style and features to ROG's pre-overclocked, or hybrid cooled graphics hardware. At the very high-end, as the premium brand ROG will remain king
This became more confusing as was blurred between Strix and ROG, but many remember or perceive Strix as a gaming brand for dGPU that now was integral to ROG.

Yes Kyle gets Kudos for taking the biggest 1st step, but he is far from perfect and like I said it is a disservice to himself to pick up on journalists that take a different route to providing an article/information; not all are great tech journalists but he is lumping all the good and mediocre together - in fact he ignores those that had the information wrong with the model banding such as Strix Gaming/Gaming excluded when deciding to highlight particular ones.

Anyway as this is mostly re-iterating previous post points I will leave it at this on the Kyle/journalist subject and my take on it.

Some of the most useless crap i've read in quite a while...
Well two points, this one I agree with you and I just can't believe anyone could write without having to either throw up in their mouth a bit doing or have no scruples whatsoever. :(

"Unfortunately, misinformation that GPP was anti-competitive and a strong-arm tactic compelled Nvidia to prematurely abort it. Bad propaganda killed what could have reinforced Nvidia’s leadership in high-end gaming graphics accelerators."

But I give the writer credit for this one just because I like the pun and because I can't believe I hadn't thought of it in the last f-ing 20 years or so!

Some people accused GPP as a Ngreedia move
Ngreedia?!? FANTASTIC!! Altough I think I may go with nGreedia just to be annoying...

EDITED BITS: Also because of the stupid way American english works I believe the correct phrase would have been, "Some people accused the GPP as an Ngreedia move". Sorry, my mother was an english professor among other things believe it or not from my grammar and my spelling. LOL

Oh wow, if that's not "greenwashing" I don't know what is
Jesus... This Moyen fella is the Quisling to Nvidia's NSDAP. What a useless wanker. Then again, all I know of this seeking alpha site is that it is a source of relentless anti-Tesla FUD/stock shorting propaganda, so it doesn't surprise me it is nutty in all sorts of other ways as well. This guy's probably upset about GPP's death because he was hoping for an NV monopoly on dGPUs, with a presumed accompanying stock price surge...

ToTTenTranz said:
So worried about the integrity of the forums because someone is allegedly insulting Ryan Smith, yet you close a thread with a literal ad-hominem on the dozens of users who posted in it?
ToTTenTranz said:
I'm sorry, who insulted whom?

Sorry for not being clear before, I was referring to you.

ToTTenTranz said:
What is the insult here?
From a tweet you linked said:
@anandtech Has sucked that green dick from day one. Did you expect anything else?

And as usual you've blown everything way out of proportion. Whatever. In the future do you think you can do better than reposting garbage tweets? Thanks.

Last edited:
ToTTenTranz said:
I'm sorry, who insulted whom?

Sorry for not being clear before, I was referring to you.
From a tweet you linked said:
@anandtech Has sucked that green dick from day one. Did you expect anything else?

Me posting someone's insults in a tweet is the same as me insulting someone?
I could even get that line of reasoning if I had followed that quote with an agreement of his statements.
Instead what I wrote right afterwards was:

Don't ever go full Kyle Bennet, guys...

You're missing the forest for the trees. I really don't understand why Kyle has to be continually brought into this discussion. It makes even less sense to me when he's spewing complete nonsense (you seriously think Ryan didn't publish an article on GPP because Nvidia bullied him? Go take a walk). There's a difference between discussing "the pros/cons of a program like GPP" and "GPP the story". The former is acceptable, the latter is not.

You're missing the forest for the trees. I really don't understand why Kyle has to be continually brought into this discussion. It makes even less sense to me when he's spewing complete nonsense (you seriously think Ryan didn't publish an article on GPP because Nvidia bullied him? Go take a walk). There's a difference between discussing "the pros/cons of a program like GPP" and "GPP the story". The former is acceptable, the latter is not.

Did Ryan / Anandtech really publish anything about GPP ?

You're missing the forest for the trees.
Not really sure what forest exactly you're referring to. In fact, your reasoning is making me uncomfortable, as you seem to imply there's some sort of implied approved truth on one hand, and then heresy on the other.

For someone whose role is to be a moderator, that seems a problematic viewpoint.

I really don't understand why Kyle has to be continually brought into this discussion.
Seriously? He broke the story, man. Is it so strange he crops up again now at its conclusion?

you seriously think Ryan didn't publish an article on GPP because Nvidia bullied him?
Speculating why someone didn't do something is a futile exercise. Ascribing motives either way would have no evidence, unless you're a mindreader that is, and even if you are chances are you're the only one here; I and others would be unable to back up your assertion...

Seriously? He broke the story, man. Is it so strange he crops up again now at its conclusion?

Outside of breaking the story, what exactly are Kyle's (factual) contributions to this debate? I don't view Kyle being vital to the "pros/cons debate" of a program like GPP.

Speculating why someone didn't do something is a futile exercise.

So you agree that posting Kyle's tweets were uncalled for then? Regardless I stated my opinion: Ryan has done nothing in the past that would make me think that his "lack of reporting on GPP" was due to being bullied by Nvidia. I think that's a fair opinion to have. Feel free to disagree.

I don't view Kyle being vital to the "pros/cons debate" of a program like GPP.
Do we need your personal approval for posting now? That would be an unfortunate development for this board.

So you agree that posting Kyle's tweets were uncalled for then?
No I don't; I'm neutral on the subject. I have no specific reason to believe Kyle's right, but then again from what I understand Pursch is a billion-dollar online retailer corp who in their buyout press release assured corporations they would 'get their message out' to consumers*, so I can see how there could be merit to his accusation as well.

*Not exact quote obvs, as I'm not a walking typing web repository, nevertheless, I believe I captured the gist of it. I refer to the PR in question.

I think that's a fair opinion to have. Feel free to disagree.
Like I said, I neither agree nor disagree.

Do we need your personal approval for posting now? That would be an unfortunate development for this board.

You can't post whatever you want if that's what you're asking. That is not a new development for this forum. Of course you don't need my personal approval, but you do need to remain on topic. I asked you a fair question (how is Kyle's continued involvement in this thread relevant to GPP) which you seem to be unable to answer for some reason (real reason: it's off-topic and has nothing to do with GPP).

Like I said, I neither agree nor disagree.

Great, feel free to post again in this thread when you have something meaningful to add. Accusing independent journalists of being biased due to financial incentives from outside parties is a serious accusation. One in which Kyle, you, and ToTTenTranz have provided zero proof to back up. Perhaps you guys should stop visiting Anandtech if you believe there's "merit" that their billion-dollar parent company affects their journalistic integrity. If they are willing to be biased on something as silly as GPP, surely they would be biased with an actual gpu review!

If you or ToTTenTranz wish to follow up on the subject, feel free to PM me about it, but I think this thread is long overdue to get back on track.

Back