Nvidia Pulling the Plug on GPP

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by Alexko, May 4, 2018.

1. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Anandtech mentioned GPP when they posted the news about the Asus Arez line.
    Other than that, Anandtech didn't publish anything about GPP until it was terminated.

@CSI PC claims that Anandtech's staff was actively investigating the subject until the news broke about the program termination, though I have no idea where he saw that. No one claimed anything of the sort on twitter or on AT's website, hence why I asked if he had seen a statement somewhere else (e.g. AT's own forums).

HardOCP's state in the short/medium term will determine how aggressive the repercussions (that nvidia allegedly threatened them with) will be.
    If the site dies due to nvidia partners pulling out their ads and refusing them review hardware, then all other publications are expected to shit themselves when nvidia orders them to shut up about the next consumer-unfriendly plan.
    And that's not a nicer world to live in.

As both GamerNexus and Kyle/HardOCP claimed, nvidia showed an unprecedented vindictive behavior towards journalists regarding GPP.
    Anandtech was never a website dedicated to corporate politics. I wouldn't blame @Ryan Smith for simply choosing to not fight this battle.

I think Kyle's role was definitely the most important of this story, but I don't agree with him going after the other publications who chose not to do any investigative journalism over the program.

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/05/04/nvidia_pulling_plug_on_gpp
    It's rather early to close down the thread.

2. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

I don't believe anyone has to be biased either way to be able to see what a terrible article that is. Just an open mind and a modicum of sense.

3. Megadrive1988

Veteran

Good Riddance.

pharma likes this.
  4. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

You could try asking him, to clarify I said Ryan not any other Anandtech staff.
    One of the times was trying to break the ice individually with OEM/partners on the subject at a particular tech event.

5. ToTTenTranz

I especially enjoyed the part where he states something like "the new AMD-only brands would quickly get the same traction as the currently existing brands, if AMD financed them".
    I wonder if he thinks nvidia financed e.g. ROG's mouses + mousepads + keyboards + headsets + soundcards + monitors (some of them FreeSync) + routers + backpacks, and that AMD should also finance new lines of all of that for Asus, Gigabyte and MSI.

And yes, the article is all-around terrible and I regret giving it a click.

Or you could just post where you saw Ryan's statement about them doing investigative journalism around GPP...