Nvidia Pulling the Plug on GPP

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by Alexko, May 4, 2018.

1. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

CarstenS, Kej, ToTTenTranz and 4 others like this.
  2. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

This leaves Asus to an awkward position - they released new brand together with AMD. The rest can always just say "it was a glitch in our systems, the Aorus/Gaming/whathaveyou Radeons were never supposed to be gone" but Asus obviously can't. Will they stick to Arez or get back to ROG and if they go back to ROG, what will they say?

3. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

BWWAAAAAAAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHHHAAAA!!!
    (My actual first "word" upon reading your post.)

Let's hope it fucking stays dead too.

Btw, not like I'm gonna forget in 1 second that NV tried to corner the gaming market for itself, oh no nononono. I'll remember, next time I'm ready to buy a new GPU.

Not much, I think, beyond the triumphant press release that accompanies every product launch. They'll just quietly launch new ROG boards like nothing ever happened. Corporations don't much like drawing attention to their own past mistakes.

4. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Wow, WTF. That was unexpected, seriously. So they achieved their goal of having separated brands but now no longer have to provide all the promises they gave to the AIBs. Way to go!

5. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

Being announced dead doesn't necessarly mean that's true, right? They can turn it into a more covert program this time

digitalwanderer likes this.
  6. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games

It could also mean that they're not signing up anyone else to the program but that existing contracts need to be and will be honored. In this case, they've also achieved what they wanted with the major AIBs.

snarfbot and digitalwanderer like this.
  7. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

8. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Oh god, the language on that NV page is certainly up amongst the most weaselly bullshit I've ever read in a PR doc. Makes me so hopping mad I could just strangle the life out of the lot of them. Well we owned them, and they don't even have the decency to apologize for the shit they tried to pull. Just a double-weaselly "we did nothing wrong so we're taking our ball and go home!".

BOOOOOO! FUUUUUUUUCK THEM!

Lightman, Malo and digitalwanderer like this.
  9. ToTTenTranz

Pre-post request for mods
    Can this thread please have a strict rule regarding the derailings that were used to destroy the other thread?
    It would be nice to have a thread to exclusively discuss GPP, and whomever wants to compare it to hotdogs/cars/pineapple-in-pizza can do it on a separate thread.
    Asking for a friend.

From HardOCP:
    It will be interesting to know what else they can uncover, now with the program being cancelled.

Only Asus went all the way of announcing a new brand, but that is already being course-corrected. The "Arez" brand is already gone from the US site (and the UK) and people are already getting ads for Vega ROG cards. Asus has probably been preparing for this for a while.
    MSI and Gigabyte were still making the transition with erroneous info here and there, so it's easy to just go back to the website's former state and get the stamp back into the boxes. Or maybe they never even took it away, except for that thunderbolt RX580 box from Gigabyte.

It seems there will be no separated brands anymore.

Going by Asus' actions, GPP is no more so the existing contracts are now invalid and don't need to be honored.

I don't see how they can pull off something like brand exclusivity in a covert way. It's not like people won't notice if the ROG/Aorus/GamingX stamps disappear from AMD products.
    In fact, nvidia tried to make it as covert as they could, by refusing to talk about it to tech news outlets.
    The only public action they took was to make a single blog post about it, claiming how transparent it was, but then they acted like the opposite of transparent afterwards by shutting the subject behind an iron curtain.

#metoo

Grall, Lightman and digitalwanderer like this.
  10. ToTTenTranz

John Teeple is the head of Geforce Partner Marketing, and his blog post history is kind of hilarious.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/author/johnteeple/

One post to announce GPP, one post to announce the end of GPP.
    I'm guessing this poor guy doesn't have much left to do at nvidia...

Jokes aside, the fact that GPP was only ever mentioned by nvidia within these two blog posts speaks volumes about the lack of transparency surrounding the subject.

#10 ToTTenTranz, May 5, 2018
    Last edited: May 5, 2018
    Grall, CSI PC, Lightman and 1 other person like this.
  11. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I just think it's damage control and I don't think they'll learn a thing from it except to try and figure out how to be sneakier about it the next time they try it.

Grall and McHuj like this.
  12. ToTTenTranz

One redditor in nvidia's sub perfectly summarized John Teeple's blog post into a single sentence:

13. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games

Well that was fast. As you said it seemed to be already in motion. What a clusterfuck for these AIBs, a complete waste of resources.

digitalwanderer and Grall like this.
  14. Man from Atlantis

Regular

Kyle_Bennett

digitalwanderer, Grall and Lightman like this.
  15. Samwell

Newcomer

Why doesn't he publish it then? Such postings are BS.

Kyles Post showes pretty much, why it's hard for me to take him as a serious journalist. Crying over stuff that might happen in the future. Stylizing himself as a poor victim, when nothing really happened to him.

It's good that GPP is dead, but i don't know how much truth lies behind Kyles accusations. While parts were surely true, i would be not surprised if he exxagerated some stuff, as he's searching for fame.

egoless, pharma and BRiT like this.
  16. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

There are countless things us media are sitting on, some of which will get published eventually and some of which never will. In the end, [H] is a business, and they surely have thought about when will be the best time to release whatever they still have stored on the issue.

Are you in a position to say "nothing really happened to him"? Big player like NVIDIA cutting all the connections with a site making a living on hardware reviews is in my books "something".

17. Samwell

Newcomer

Either you write a story or you leave it. That's what media does. Writing i know something, but i can't tell you is just attention seeking.

I know some hardware reviewers which had beef with nvidia or amd and it's not really been a problem for them, as they had good contacts to the AIBs. If [H] doesn't get any more samples from AIBs he can start crying, but before, that's a situation many people already had and survived without problems.

18. Gelanin

Newcomer

Well, some of the sites also tries to be journalists, and not purely a business. But it's kind of hard to be a journalist if you do not have any income.

My impression is that [H] probably did the majority of the work among the tech-sites in this GPP story, and [H] deserves credit for that imho. Many other sites seemed to tip-toe around or completely ignoring the GPP issue, probably because they were afraid of the consequences from Nvidia/AIB's if they did not.

19. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

His lack of communication and direction dealing with the fallout once it started is mind boggling, and still not great; I think he does not realise with such a blog post and lack of communication this is still going to roll on in terms of news.
    Some of it seems complacency to me from such as Teeple and possibly some others at Geforce team.

And yeah, funny how GPP did not appear on Geforce Twitter account.
    Going forward Nvidia will probably still do this with certain partners anyway just without the broad GPP framework and using the current individual tier structure with some of those mechanisms.

20. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Media also makes sure the reader comes back with teasers like "there's more upcoming on this later". If media outlet has exclusive stuff they can and often will sit on it if they see even slight benefit from doing so.
    There could also be actual reasons outside of just making money on it - they might have most pieces ready but are lacking something they know they're getting from some source a bit later.

digitalwanderer and ToTTenTranz like this.