NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

Not all Fermi cards were physically capable of 1/2 DP. GF104, for instance, was limited to 1/3—or 1/6, I can't quite recall.
1/12 at GeForce. One of the three SIMD16 processed DP every 4 clocks.
Did someone saw a DP result of a GF106 Quadro 2000?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you really think that a 1-1,1GHz / 1792 SP "Pitcairn like" (i.e. without 1/2 DP capability) and 256 bit bus chip based on GCN would have been much different in die size, power consumption and performance in respect to GK104?

Why don't you apply the "woulda-coulda-shoulda" logic to GK104 as well? You know, to balance the fairy tale equation :)

According to Gibbo.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=21514515&postcount=61

All I can say it looks good, its quieter than 7970 which was quiet, it clocks to similar levels;) and it cost less. :)

So if it's faster than the 7970, clocks to similar levels and costs less, then AMD is going to be forced to lower prices.

Though to be fair you can already start finding some 7970's for around £380 here in the UK down from £420-450.

Pretty Nvidia friendly benchmark suite there - only Metro 2033 is favouring AMD cards (and it's TWIMTBP).

How much is that WoW result affecting the overall percentage difference?

I have a feeling other sites will have the lead a bit smaller.

Pretty Nvidia friendly benchmark suite there - only Metro 2033 is favouring AMD cards (and it's TWIMTBP).
HD7970 is about 30-40% faster than GTX580 with latest drivers and a reasonably balanced benchmark suite. THG's "six games average" is a joke.

Nevertheless, GTX680 looks like a very good card.

So a test, that includes BF3 and DiRT 3, where AMD helped, is somehow biased in favor of NVIDIA? :oops:

Dirt 2 and 3 are known to favour Nvidia cards by a lot and I'm sure Nvidia "helped" more with BF3.

HAWX 2 - really?
Crysis 2 - um yeah.
Skyrim - another one heavily favouring Nvidia
WoW - massively favoured Nvidia for years

Only Metro 2033 - another Nvidia title - even remotely favours AMD cards.

Where is AvP? Total War? Mass Effect 3? Crysis Warhead? These are titles where the 7970 will probably win or have a much more realistic gap.

Fact is, only by swapping out Metro 2033 for something like Lost Planet could make this benchmark suite any more Nvidia friendly than it is.

So a test, that includes BF3 and DiRT 3, where AMD helped, is somehow biased in favor of NVIDIA? :oops:
No, a review is biased when:

• it benchmarks an enthusiast card @1080p resolution
  • it doesn't feature HD7870 in the perf/W metrics
  • it gives a "six games average" that basically makes an HD7970 look 10-20% slower than it actually is
  • HD7970 somehow loses performance compared to GTX580 in the same benchmarks at the same settings - even with newer, better drivers available; e.g. this one :oops::
o7rm7d.jpg

Inconsistent review is inconsistent.

As I stated earlier: GTX680 still looks like a really nice card - but those benchmarks are a joke.

Back