NVIDIA GT200 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBH IMO it doesn't look that impressive compared to current games, when comparing previous demos and those dates games

It's a Youtube video, coupled with nVidia's demos being less impressive on an artistic standpoint compared to ATI's (Remember Adrianne? :eek:). But I think there's some definitely impressive work going on there, will be better if it gets exposed in HD.

No offense taken. I understand completely.

But you do have to realize that I did not sign any NDA at the moment and I'm not responsible for the people with NDA's who leak stuff to me. I'm just serving the community and try to satisfy their craving for new info. People want to know stuff, I do my best to get my hands on it... It's just the way how it goes. Hence the leaks on both NV (slides) and AMD side (X5500> score for R700).

I would however like to point out that I do keep myself to NDAs if I would've signed one. ;)

Dont worry about it. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Actually I'm just gonna go play Age of Conan. I pretty much expect this after editors day. Just dont forget those honest hard working sites that make a living off this sorta thing. These sites keep the world up to date on the latest in hardware and 3D tech and I appreciate them.

Look at beyond3d for example. I make this example because I am biased to Rys. Here's a website that makes it claim to fame by focusing on architecture and technical aspects of the hardware. But they have a much harder time "delivering" that kind of news when every technical aspect gets leaked.

As a SLI zone tech and administrator I focus on a very different audience. And bringing "hits" to slizone is the least of my concern ((Though I am trying to help rage3d these days as well)) as I focus on an entire different audience which is focused on the high performance segment of SLI.

Chris

why dont nvidia just say "here ya go world these are the specs of the card enjoy"
instead of all this "here are the specs dont tell anyone for 3 weeks nonsense"

why dont nvidia just say "here ya go world these are the specs of the card enjoy"

Because this way they get to have people like us to talk about it on the internet for 3 weeks, instead of two days. ;)

So there is time for boards to be put together and shipped out for review after the specs are finalized? So reviewers have some time to write things up and get a card to review in advance? Something.

So there is time for boards to be put together and shipped out for review after the specs are finalized? So reviewers have some time to write things up and get a card to review in advance? Something.

How does releasing the specs have any impact on any of those things? The problem is that any official release of information like that would be considered a "launch" which is silly if you think about it. It's not for competitive reasons because the competition certainly knows those numbers long before Editor's day.

How does releasing the specs have any impact on any of those things? The problem is that any official release of information like that would be considered a "launch" which is silly if you think about it. It's not for competitive reasons because the competition certainly knows those numbers long before Editor's day.

Well you can write up a goodly portion of the review w/o ever touching or seeing a card if you have accurate specs.

And that's what NDA is for. However, I've heard reviewers complaining that there's too little info about GT200 so they can't write that goodly (technological) portion of the review.

I don't see anything wrong with CJ leaking information. "Honest editors" can then publish the CJ-watermarked pictures and everyone's happy.

I guess there's some economic loss associated with early leaks for those sites depending on high traffic during release season. But other than that I'm glad this stuff was leaked. There haven't been any blockbuster revelations to date that would have been worth the wait.

There's still a lot of meat left on the bone especially for the B3D crowd. We still know nothing of architectural enhancements to either R700 or GT200 so there'll be plenty more to chew over.

It's because people clapped their hands and went, "Yippee!" for hard launches.

What you're asking for is a soft launch, that much hated and lambasted artifact of the past (at least if you go by online reviews and forums).

Personally, I've always hated hard launches and long for the days when soft launches were the rule of thumb.

I bet retailers and etailers would love soft launches also. Which would also bring back meaningful pre-orders.

Regards,
SB

Dont worry about it. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Actually I'm just gonna go play Age of Conan. I pretty much expect this after editors day. Just dont forget those honest hard working sites that make a living off this sorta thing. These sites keep the world up to date on the latest in hardware and 3D tech and I appreciate them.

Look at beyond3d for example. I make this example because I am biased to Rys. Here's a website that makes it claim to fame by focusing on architecture and technical aspects of the hardware. But they have a much harder time "delivering" that kind of news when every technical aspect gets leaked.

As a SLI zone tech and administrator I focus on a very different audience. And bringing "hits" to slizone is the least of my concern ((Though I am trying to help rage3d these days as well)) as I focus on an entire different audience which is focused on the high performance segment of SLI.

Chris

B3D is an awesome site but it kinda discourages popularity, wouldn't you say? As an outsider, i always viewed you as an "exclusive club". You are not trying for mass appeal, imo. Not at the forum, at the least [i thought].

i don't agree that Rys is slighted in the very least when something gets leaked. He can delve into such incredible detail he has to be careful that even a very knowledgeable person can get lost. He has no competition; from just about anyone! And no leaker can touch his depth and explanations that his articles cover. You guy have the best technical reviews imo [and a big reason i joined up here].

Same with all the other tech sites; they have their own audiences and their own appeal. And don't forget that some websites {*cough* theinq *gag*} make their money and page hits from rumors and leaks. This time it seems to me that Nvidia is confident and just doesn't care. That said, it appears the leaks have recently dried up . . .

Where's CJ when you need him? :p

You already got this, right?

http://www.fudzilla.com/images/stories/2008/June/Computex_2008/F/gtx280.jpg

Bandwidth looks OK =P

EDIT: What is SLI zone tech like? You probably don't want me there, but i think i will check it out now! =P

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it's getting late enough that GPU-Z can be considered accurate. So, 48.2 GT/s / 602MHz = 80 TFs? I can't even remember if that was expected, but "GT200"'s boosted math and bandwidth more than anything else in G80 (ignoring their TA:TF change since G80 and the doubling of [IIRC] texture cache, and assuming zixels stay the same).

Code:
                                  GTX280/   GTX280/
GPU  8800GTX    GTX280  9800GTX    G80GTX    G92GTX
ALU      128       240      128      +88%      +88%
clock  ~1350     ~1300    ~1700       --       -31%
TA        32        40?      64     +150%      -60%
TF        64        80       64      +25%      +25%
ROP       24        32       16      +33%     +100%
clock    575      ~600     ~675       --        --
BW        86       142      ~70      +65%     +100%

I don't think people hated soft launches as much as fake launches, as in limited quantities and meaningless "release" dates. I doubt many consumers would have a problem with a soft launch with guaranteed, wide availability within weeks. Dunno if IHVs prefer hard or soft launches, from the standpoint of managing info and out-guessing the competition.

As for an IHV just publishing specs and marketing material one day, I imagine that might not give them as much of a chance to manage the info they want conveyed. I mean, it doesn't seem unreasonable to want to prep journos and answer any Qs they may have while the journos prep their launch pieces, rather than forcing them to publish first and think later (though it's not like that doesn't happen with the short windows we're seen b/w sites receiving review hardware and NDAs expiring).

Man, is there any aspect of these GPUs we haven't discussed yet? What about RoHS and whose packaging is more conifer-cuddly? :devilish:

Last edited by a moderator:
What makes you think they slapped two G92b's together .. I mean, everything is doubled over the G92 .. Double shaders, double ROP's, double bus width .. only things that haven't doubled are core/memory/shader speeds.

I think AMD have to worry, I have to believe the core and shader speed will be able to increase quite a bit(ala GTS) .. good for consumers imo.

US

There's not really much point on putting GDDR5 on it in its current form, but it might be useful for smaller future iterations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back