NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

Where'd he go BTW? He was supposed to give me an attributed quote from NVIDIA saying they would ship in '09.

They found out that the 3.08b transistor count wasn't correct and had several folks recounting them by hand in order to find out that they're 3.22b after all. Such things are damn hard you know... :cool:

Where'd he go BTW? He was supposed to give me an attributed quote from NVIDIA saying they would ship in '09.

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=11911
Maybe it's one of the GTC articles.

Technology Conference, Final Day 3

The main things that we carried away from the first two days of Nvidia’s GTC – besides realizing that new architecture and a new much more powerful “Fermi” GPU will be shipping this year – is that this conference is about software, not hardware.

edit: It's on the Day 2
http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=11825
The Nvidia officials that we spoke with, all insisted that Fermi will ship this year – and besides excelling at GPU computing, it will also be the single fastest GPU – period! Rumors floating around the GTC whispered that Fermi would be 1.6 to 1.8 times faster in general gaming than GT 200; but those are just rumors that are neither substantiated nor confirmed by those who really know. Nvidia is not yet ready to talk about gaming performance of the GeForce Fermi F100 GTX other than to say, “it will be the fastest”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neliz, unnamed NVIDIA officials is not really attributed ... he promised me a name :)

Although it's really not important any more, I was just wondering at the time if the whole 2009 shipping thing was shilling or not ... if they had tied the name of an actual employee to the 2009 shipping date I would have given it some credence, but in retrospect it probably was shilling though.

Neliz, unnamed NVIDIA officials is not really attributed ... he promised me a name :)

Although it's really not important any more, I was just wondering at the time if the whole 2009 shipping thing was shilling or not ... if they had tied the name of an actual employee to the 2009 shipping date I would have given it some credence, but in retrospect it probably was shilling though.

Mark could probably give you the name off the record, but seeing as how all the reports start with "unnamed nvidia execs.." it was pure damage control of what everyone knew would be a failure.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that they still expected in October 09' to make a late Q4 release. After that the projected launch date was consistantly slipping by one or two weeks at a time until they finally realized that even January would had been too damn optimistic.

IF matters were out of their direct control ie if they were truly sitting on the trigger waiting for 40G yields to go from abysmal to tolerable, then they don't really need to excuse themselves for giving a wrong projection. In any other case they'll of course tell you that 60 days are peanuts (I wonder what's with that 60 fetish anyway; it's by 9 digits too short for my kinky self ahem) or some other weird excuse, sweep it under the carpet and the sun will shine again.

their putative 2009 launch date... or you must know that is what he meant, and are making the counter claim that they did not know that they wouldn't be able to deliver. That seems unlikely, that they had no idea at all how far behind they were. Maybe they hoped to squeeze in some cards before the new year, though.

[disclaimer: I know nothing]

Don't know if this video has been posted yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RdIrY6NYrM

I have seen several Rocket Slegde videos, but this one contains a bit more info than the other I have seen, regarding DX11(Tessalation) and PhysX in the Rocket Slegde demo.

Sorry if it is a repost.

At 2:30 in that video, why does the sled fly off without the jet attached exactly the same way it did with the jet?

The sled demo is just like that. There's one video where the cone flies off yet continues to burn fuel for ages with no fuel tank.

Back