NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

How do you validly compare B:AA performance with PhysX unless they allow AMD to use GPU accelerated PhysX? Or are you saying that even with PhysX and all other settings the same, it will be 20% faster still? Therefore given PhysX load, it will actually be considerably faster without it, in which case wouldn't they use the faster value as a comparison? Unless somehow they now get PhysX processing for free?

AMD doesn't have PhysX and PhysX will be part of GF100 so (for nvidia) it's a great comparison. As for considerably faster without it, that's what I'm guessing against. PhysX hits NV cards with about a 30% hit and AMD cards (i.e. CPU-based PhysX) with about 80%.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RdIrY6NYrM looks like patched ver of Supersonic Sled demo, dude overs talk it's run on one card, also he show wireframe, boys body fully whyte so there good level of tesselation, environment tesselation is adapted and looks good. So if there 8x AA it's pretty fast for one card especially compare to relatively slow Unigine DX11 tess demo and Froblins

Wow, but i don't think this was running on one card. With this level of tessellation and physx GF100 would be faster than anything on the planet...

IF some of these prices going around are realistic for the g104 ($500 bucks for a dual gpu verison ?) then surely the radeon 5870 is going to be much cheaper to make than the $380 they are currently charging for it.

So i don't see amd shying away from a price war in which they will surely win with nvidia.

AMD can't change peoples minds and they can't stop people from automatically choosing Nvidia even if the price/performance is sky high relative. Theres a big green casual market out there thats still getting used to the idea of buying red cards so by cutting the price severely they just kill their margins. Look at last generation, they only made back 3% market share in the desktop space! Thats hardly a good payback for 'trouncing' Nvidia on price/performance at every level. ATI should have made a good profit for AMD but they didn't! Noone wins a price war, because the game resets in the next round.

Seriously AMD/ATI is going to take the money if they can, they already have their dirt cheap high margin slightly suped up 4670s (57xx series) and their high margin Cypress parts selling almost 1M units. They need the money and the market share wilfollow from laptop design wins and the enthusiast community will make up their mind.

So I will put this on you, what would Dave do? Would Dave take higher margins and good sales and ensure that his collegues who have been without so many bonuses and have been working under a dark cloud for years have job security and his mates over at AMD get the same or would try to force the market to yield high market share to his company for little gain and once the generation of cards is done Nvidia can take that market share back?

Notice how he doesn't say he's turning on tesselation, but he's turning on "physics." you're seeing the normal poly's and after that force vectors. If it was tesselation, the whole scene would have it and not just a small part of the scene.

If he was turning on tesselation, the quality would increase.. if you look at the scenery, you can see how the nice house (more than 4 poly's) turns into a stupid cube.

Now, why is everything running in 720p?
Look at 3min 6sec of video if it's not tesselation wireframe then i'm ballerina:smile:

there's also the run where the rocks go wireframe and a short slideshow ensues. Silly to draw conclusion from the video though.

The 20-30% number has been going around the net since October (if not earlier.) It's not from people "connected to fermi", it's AMD's competitive analysis team and nv's own presentations.

Sounds like too many folks from both camps are paying too much attention on ultraboring performance vantage scores.

Has everyone heard this quote ?
"NVIDIA CEO: GF100 in volume production - During NVIDIA's CES Press Conference this morning, NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang confirmed that their next-generation GF100 Fermi GPU is in volume production now, although he wouldn't provide an exact release date. Huang also confirmed that GF100 would support NVIDIA's upcoming 3D Vision Surround, which provides 3D Vision support across multiple displays in a similar fashion to ATI's Eyefinity tech. FYI, the GF100 is about 10.5 inches long, takes up two PCI slots, has a cooling system with one fan, and requires extra power via two PCIe power connectors (one 6-pin and an 8-pin). Nvidia's card has support for SLI (3-way SLI), DirectX 11, OpenCL, PhysX, CUDA, and should boast a 384-bit memory interface as well as 512 CUDA cores."

Source of said quote Davvy? I mean a website which might have further information.

"...as well as 512 CUDA cores."
Well that should provide some material for entertainment.
popcorn.gif

This appears to be the source for that part: http://ionra.blogspot.com/2010/01/nvidias-show-off-gf100-at-ces-2010.html

And it seems to me that the guy is just reminding us of Fermi's specs, not making an informed statement about actual commercial products.
and should boast a 384-bit memory interface as well as 512 CUDA cores.
I like the "should" more than the definitive "will" unless we actually know. ;)

Another fine example of how miscommunications can make new facts. :yep2:

EDITED BITS: Nevermind, that makes no sense...the original quote says "should" too. I'm loopy from snowblower fumes, my apologies. :oops:

Back