NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

Heh Fermi definately has TMUS and ROPS.

The astrophysics CUDA demo was definately running on Fermi hardware btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh Fermi definately has TMUS and ROPS.

The astrophysics CUDA demo was definately running on Fermi hardware btw.

If it was running on Fermi hardware, why on earth couldn't they even use real PCB without real chip on it to demo the card, and used some GT2xx/G9x PCB sawed off instead?

I have no idea if thats even the case. And I don't know. The other demos were run on GT200 hardware. But the astrophysics one was a fermi hardware demo.

I have no idea if thats even the case. And I don't know. The other demos were run on GT200 hardware. But the astrophysics one was a fermi hardware demo.

Oh come on, regardless of how you work for them you can't be that blind when the proof is right there for everyone to see.

(images courtesy of Muropaketti.com)
20091002fake1.jpg

20091002fake2.jpg

1. PCB sawed off from the back, from the backside it's visible that the cutting line goes from the middle of PCI Express -power plug, and even half of the stickers are still there with the rest cut off

2. 8-pin PCIE powerplug doesn't have soldering points nor attachment clips through the PCB. The PCB has been cut so from the original 6-pin PCIE powerplugs solder points only 2 are left.

3. 6-pin PCIE powerplug doesn't have soldering points nor attachment clips through the PCB.

4. The SLI-connector further from the backplate is caught behind the cooling plate so you can't install SLI-bridge on it

(5. Just a note but the PCB has a place for 2nd DVI-connector, which hasn't been used even though it seems there's still solders left on it, while in normal cases there would be just holes there.)

6. The cooler is only attached through the back cooling plate, not through the PCBs mounting holes as usual

7. Right under the 6-pin PCIE powerplug there's a empty cooler attachment hole.

8. On the backplates upper airvent, there's only plastic, no holes/vents/anything for air to get out from the cooler

OMG

Just pathetic² :oops:

[...]

The board has wood screws crudely driven through it. The vents on the end plate are blocked. The DVI connector is not soldered to anything, The SLI connectors are somewhat covered by a heat shield. The 8-pin power connector is connected to nothing. The 6-pin connector is connected to the PCB with glue, not pins and solder. The board is crudely chopped off with power tools. The 8-pin connector that should be there is not. The 6-pin connector that should be there is cut. The mounting holes are too close to the edge. There are also likely many more flaws, but this should be enough to prove a point.

In the end, what you have here is a faked Fermi board. Jen-Hsun held up a scam card. If you watch the video here, he says, "This puppy here, is Fermi". Bullshit.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10/01/nvidia-fakes-fermi-boards-gtc/

If it's so pathetic as you say then it bears the question why you read that side and why you're posting it. It's enough if on each board one user posts how pathetic each of Charlie's newsblurb is and he's got the free attention and publicity he'd wish for.

It wouldn't be so bad if people just approached it as what it is, funny ... nothing wrong with using a mockup, why waste a card a tester/developer could be using? Don't let people take close up pictures though ... DUH.

I do wonder though... is it an accurate mockup? As in, is this the actual reference cooler design of the new generation, so will the actual card look the same and be the same size?

It wouldn't be so bad if people just approached it as what it is, funny ... nothing wrong with using a mockup, why waste a card a tester/developer could be using? Don't let people take close up pictures though ... DUH.

For exactly the reason that people see it and think that you're lying to them when you're waving it about and saying "here it is" instead of "here's a mockup". The internet doesn't let you get away with that kind of stuff now. There was nothing to stop Nvidia using a real card (if they had them) to wave in front of the cameras for a few hours and then send it to somewhere more useful. Even a polished mockup would have been preferable to the crude thing they allowed to be photographed and the images sent all over the world.

I suspect Nvidia really do have very poor yields, at least off that first batch, and they didn't have any spare chips whatsoever. The cards running that one demo were probably ugly engineering prototypes, so they mocked up a prettier looking fake that is what Nvidia intends the finished product to look like. They just didn't do it very well and got caught.

I think Nvidia is really much further off from a finished product than they would like us to believe, but they had to have their spoiler out no matter what, because now is the 58xx launch, and now is when Nvidia need the spoiler event.

Maybe pathetic is being used to refer to Nvidia's sad attempts to hoodwink enthusiasts?;)

Actually it's common practice in the industry to once and a while pull off a fake demo. That's why I always love to look under tables when I'm at some show visiting a booth. Just the panic in the people's eyes ;-)

However, it rarely occurs that CEOs wave with demo boards in front of an audience with this amount of publicity....

Honestly if Nvidia only got 7 working dies out of 4 wafers they must have serious issues like timing in the logic or perhaps TSMC did a bad job on memory (there's a large L2 on this IC). Usually you keep wafers out of your hot lot on hold, before metalization, so 4 weeks later they could have repaired samples in the lab..... but not in time for this show.

I do wonder though... is it an accurate mockup? As in, is this the actual reference cooler design of the new generation, so will the actual card look the same and be the same size?
Why would the "accuracy" of a mock-up be interesting?

Jawed

Is there a reason other than aliteracy for "Jensen" instead of Jen-Hsun (Huang)? 'Cos it's pissing me off...

i forgot to mention .. i asked about the videocard that Jensen was holding up for us to see
(yes, i am that rude)

- "it is a production mock-up"
:p

. . . but they do have working Fermi silicon
(the closest anyone could get from any Nvidia official - as far as i can ascertain - for a firm Firmi GTX "number" comparison, was 1.6-1.8 times faster than the current GT 285 GTX; that is not confirmed, however)

WTF!!! It was a mock up!!!

That's it, they are frauds!! I will never buy their card again!!!!

If I do happen to buy their Fermi card I will open it up right when I get it and measure that huge ass chip of theirs under super magnification... and if it's so much as a flea pubic hair longer than the HD5870 then I am selling that humongous POS even if it is 300% faster than anything out. I mean wtf!!! How can I game knowing that the chip inside my case..... inside the cooler.... is a few ant butt hairs longer than the competitions???

HOW??

This is just ridicilous, I picked this from another board and I'm still waiting for link, but I'll throw the quote in right away
Nvidia PR was asked to comment on the faked cards earlier this evening. Their reply was, "I'm glad you're asking us before you write. That statement is false. The product that we displayed was an actual Fermi board. The demo ran on Fermi silicon." We do not believe all of that statement.

How stupid they can think people are?

edit:
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10/01/nvidia-fakes-fermi-boards-gtc/

Do you *really* care about a fake board? Please..

Showing fake board, not a big thing as itself. It however becomes big when it's first presented as the real thing and then even when asked specificly due fake claims if it's fake or not, it's told to be the real thing while it's obviously not.

Showing fake board, not a big thing as itself. It however becomes big when it's first presented as the real thing and then even when asked specificly due fake claims if it's fake or not, it's told to be the real thing while it's obviously not.

If Nvidia had initially come out and said it was a mock-up, there would be no problem, and no one would care. Instead they lied about it, and when caught in the lie, they continue to insist on the lie, despite what everyone can obviously see in the photos. It's just trying to fool us that there's a finished product on the near horizon, when the product is nowhere near that ready.

This is the sort of BS that Nvidia pulls all the time, and it's why a lot of people don't like them as a company. Even after being caught out, how difficult would it be for them to hold their hands up and say it was a mockup? It makes you wonder what else they are bs-ing about so far in advance of shipping product.

Back