Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 Reviews

According to TechPowerUp review, it's 45% faster in non RT workloads (not that it matters much as 3090 was already a beast at it). It's in RT workloads that it shines, with 65% or more performance. All without DLSS. If this RT performance drips down to the mid range when it launches, we might finally cross into RT standard everywhere!

One thing we noticed when benching any non-ray traced title was that the 4090 tended to be CPU limited - very visible in the frame-times actually.
Kinda goes hand in hand with DLSS 3 feature set. However is that specific to this architecture? Anything to do with larger cache? Could the GPU be so fast at those resolutions that the CPU being a limit leads to large cache not being filled fast enough and it stalls for a moment? Complete layman idea, mind you.

According to TechPowerUp review, it's 45% faster in non RT workloads (not that it matters much as 3090 was already a beast at it). It's in RT workloads that it shines, with 65% or more performance. All without DLSS. If this RT performance drips down to the mid range when it launches, we might finally cross into RT standard everywhere!
Using SER/OMM/DMM can further improve RT performance.

• The card is fairly obviously CPU limited (on Zen4) in anything less than 4K, and in 4K there seem to be a number of titles which are also CPU limited.
  • Frame generation can be enabled in native resolution - didn't see this mentioned explicitly earlier.
  • Running at 300W limit results in a loss of ~10% of performance (was more like 15-20% on 3090Ti). But this may be a result of the card being CPU limited so often.
  • A number of non-RT games seem to scale really fine - examples I've seen are FH5, CoDV, Control (without RT), RE8 (without RT).
  • Most RT titles are scaling really well (at about 2X to 3090). The only one which seem to have issues is FC6.
  • Perf/watt improvements are between +30-40% (when compared to best examples of RDNA2 and Ampere) and +90% (when compared to 3090/Ti).
  • Typical sustained GPU clock is ~2750MHz. Goes down to about 2700 under "bad" load and up to 2800 in "good" ones. That's about +250MHz to the rated boost of 2520MHz which means that 4090 runs at 90TFLOPs most of the time. The GPU can also be OCed to ~3GHz easily it seems.

Last edited:
RTX 4090 FE Reviews 1

Media
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Model
JP-Japan_videocardz.png
4GamerNVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
AU-Australia_videocardz.png
AusGamersNVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
PL-Poland_videocardz.png
BenchmarkNVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
US-United-States_videocardz.png
BitwitNVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
BPS CustomsNVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
Club386NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
FR-France_videocardz.png
ComptoirHardwareNVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
DE-Germany_videocardz.png
ComputerBaseNVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
der8auerNVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
GB-UKM-United-Kingdom_videocardz.png
Digital FoundryNVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
ES-Spain_videocardz.png
El Chapuzas InformaticoNVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
GamersNexusNVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
JP-Japan_videocardz.png
GDMNVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
Gear SeekersNVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
GolemNVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
NL-Netherlands_videocardz.png
Guru3DNVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
GB-UKM-United-Kingdom_videocardz.png
ForbesNVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition [video]
CA-Canada_videocardz.png
HardwareCanucksNVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
HardwareLuxxNVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
HardwareUnboxedNVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition

Thanks to Videocardz!

Techpowerups review is up, I go straight to the ray tracing section as that's all I care about.

I had to lol at this...

Resi 8 Village at 1080p

• 2080ti = 102fps
  • 4090 = 299fps

Like Jesus, what a jump!

Performance is great for the price on the 4090 , I think it is a much better value the 3090 was. Still waiting to see how the 4080 runt is.
From my glancing over the reviews I got the impression that 4090's gain on 3090 in gaming is bigger than it was between 2080Ti and 3090. And 3090 did cost considerably more than 2080Ti, it's less so with 4090 vs 3090.

• Running at 300W limit results in a loss of ~10% of performance (was more like 15-20% on 3090Ti). But this may be a result of the card being CPU limited so often
That's a good thing to hear along the lines of R9 7950X perf loss with more sane power levels (105/142W). Those two combined would make a great system for people with some spare change.

Back