Nvidia Geforce Drivers Release Announcement thread

CES 2020: GeForce 441.87 WHQL Game Ready Driver

Version: 441.87 WHQL
Release Date: 2020.1.6
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Windows 8 64-bit, Windows 10 64-bit
Language: English (US)
File Size: 528.83 MB

Game Ready for Wolfenstein: Youngblood with Ray Tracing
The new Game Ready Driver provides the latest performance optimizations, profiles, and bug fixes for Wolfenstein: Youngblood including the introduction of ray tracing. In addition, this release also provides optimal support for Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, Bright Memory: Infinite, and the latest version of Quake II RTX.

Maximum Framerate
In response to overwhelming demand from the community, we have introduced a new Maximum Framerate Setting into the NVIDIA Control Panel. Use the maximum frame rate setting to set the max framerate a 3D application or game can render. This feature is particularly helpful when trying to save power, reduce system latency or paired with your NVIDIA G-SYNC display to stay within variable refresh rate range.

Image Sharpening Improvements
Leveraging gamer feedback over the last few months, we have been continually improving the new image sharpening feature. With this latest version, you have the ability to toggle GPU scaling independent of whether image sharpening is enabled or disabled.

Variable Rate Super Sampling
We introduced a new VRSS feature…
Variable Rate Super Sampling (VRSS) is a new technique to improve image quality in VR games which uses NVIDIA Variable Rate Shading (VRS) to dynamically apply up to 8x super sampling to the center of the VR display when GPU headroom is available. In doing so, VRSS can improve image quality at the focal point of the eye while always maintaining the 90 FPS needed to deliver a smooth VR experience.

Share Freestyle Filters
Gamers can now import and export Freestyle/Ansel filters and take advantage of a new split screen filter to help showcase their improvements!

Software Module Versions
 nView - 149.77
 HD Audio Driver - 1.3.38.21
 NVIDIA PhysX System Software - 9.19.0218
 GeForce Experience - 3.20.2.34
 CUDA - 10.2
 Standard NVIDIA Control Panel - 8.1.940.0
 DCH NVIDIA Control Panel - 8.1.956.0

Fixed Issues in this Release
 [Red Dead Redemption 2][Vulkan]: Improved image sharpening for Red Redemption 2 in Vulkan mode. [2781732]
 [Strange Brigade - Vulkan][SLI][G-SYNC]: G-SYNC is not working properly when the Vulkan version of the game is played in SLI mode. [200439997]

Windows 7 Issues
 [World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth][DirectX 12]: The game crashes when switched from DirectX 11 to DirectX 12 mode. [200574934]

Windows 10 Issues

 [Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege][Vulkan][G-SYNC]: When playing the game in Vulkan mode with G-SYNC enabled, flickering occurs after switching the game between full-screen and windowed mode.[200578641] To work around, either disable G-SYNC or play using an API other than Vulkan.
 [Doom (2016)][GeForce 600/700 series GPUs]: The game crashes. [2791124]
 [Battleye][Low-Latency Mode]: Background apps may close when launching some BattlEye games with Low-Latency mode set to Ultra. [2775906]
 [Wolfenstein Youngblood][SLI]: Performance drop may occur when using 2-way SLI mode. [2599248].
 [Red Dead Redemption 2][Vulkan][SLI]: The benchmark crashes when played in Vulkan mode with SLI enabled and graphics settings set to Ultra. [200565367]

Game Ready Driver Release Notes (v441.87)
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

Image sharpening with gpu scaling now supports custom resolutions.

Strange. I’m running a custom resolution 3200x1800 with sharpening right now on an older driver and it seems to be working. When I crank the sharpening setting too high there are clearly over sharpening artifacts.

I wonder if GPU scaling is disabled for that resolution and that’s why sharpening is working. There’s no way for me to tell if it’s the GPU or the tv scaling the image up to 4K.

According to Nvidia Turing’s scaler may not work at resolutions higher than 1440p. Either way the result is fantastic.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...-image-sharpening-in-the-nvidia-control-panel

CES 2020: GeForce 441.87 WHQL Game Ready Driver

Version: 441.87 WHQL
Release Date: 2020.1.6
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Windows 8 64-bit, Windows 10 64-bit
File Size: 528.83 MB

Game Ready for Wolfenstein: Youngblood with Ray Tracing
The new Game Ready Driver provides the latest performance optimizations, profiles, and bug fixes for Wolfenstein: Youngblood including the introduction of ray tracing. In addition, this release also provides optimal support for Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, Bright Memory: Infinite, and the latest version of Quake II RTX.

Maximum Framerate
In response to overwhelming demand from the community, we have introduced a new Maximum Framerate Setting into the NVIDIA Control Panel. Use the maximum frame rate setting to set the max framerate a 3D application or game can render. This feature is particularly helpful when trying to save power, reduce system latency or paired with your NVIDIA G-SYNC display to stay within variable refresh rate range.

Image Sharpening Improvements
Leveraging gamer feedback over the last few months, we have been continually improving the new image sharpening feature. With this latest version, you have the ability to toggle GPU scaling independent of whether image sharpening is enabled or disabled.

Variable Rate Super Sampling
We introduced a new VRSS feature…
Variable Rate Super Sampling (VRSS) is a new technique to improve image quality in VR games which uses NVIDIA Variable Rate Shading (VRS) to dynamically apply up to 8x super sampling to the center of the VR display when GPU headroom is available. In doing so, VRSS can improve image quality at the focal point of the eye while always maintaining the 90 FPS needed to deliver a smooth VR experience.

Share Freestyle Filters
Gamers can now import and export Freestyle/Ansel filters and take advantage of a new split screen filter to help showcase their improvements!

Software Module Versions
 nView - 149.77
 HD Audio Driver - 1.3.38.21
 NVIDIA PhysX System Software - 9.19.0218
 GeForce Experience - 3.20.2.34
 CUDA - 10.2
 Standard NVIDIA Control Panel - 8.1.940.0
 DCH NVIDIA Control Panel - 8.1.956.0

Fixed Issues in this Release
 [Red Dead Redemption 2][Vulkan]: Improved image sharpening for Red Redemption 2 in Vulkan mode. [2781732]
 [Strange Brigade - Vulkan][SLI][G-SYNC]: G-SYNC is not working properly when the Vulkan version of the game is played in SLI mode. [200439997]

Windows 7 Issues
 [World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth][DirectX 12]: The game crashes when switched from DirectX 11 to DirectX 12 mode. [200574934]

Windows 10 Issues

 [Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege][Vulkan][G-SYNC]: When playing the game in Vulkan mode with G-SYNC enabled, flickering occurs after switching the game between full-screen and windowed mode.[200578641] To work around, either disable G-SYNC or play using an API other than Vulkan.
 [Doom (2016)][GeForce 600/700 series GPUs]: The game crashes. [2791124]
 [Battleye][Low-Latency Mode]: Background apps may close when launching some BattlEye games with Low-Latency mode set to Ultra. [2775906]
 [Wolfenstein Youngblood][SLI]: Performance drop may occur when using 2-way SLI mode. [2599248].
 [Red Dead Redemption 2][Vulkan][SLI]: The benchmark crashes when played in Vulkan mode with SLI enabled and graphics settings set to Ultra. [200565367]

Game Ready Driver Release Notes (v441.87)
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

Nvidia has been rolling out some really nice driver features recently. I wonder if Navi’s resurgence is partly to thank for that.

VRSS sounds like a great feature for VR picture quality.

Strange. I’m running a custom resolution 3200x1800 with sharpening right now on an older driver and it seems to be working. When I crank the sharpening setting too high there are clearly over sharpening artifacts.

I wonder if GPU scaling is disabled for that resolution and that’s why sharpening is working. There’s no way for me to tell if it’s the GPU or the tv scaling the image up to 4K.

According to Nvidia Turing’s scaler may not work at resolutions higher than 1440p. Either way the result is fantastic.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...-image-sharpening-in-the-nvidia-control-panel

I had some custom resolutions I was using with Apex, but if I enabled GPU scaling under the sharpening, I couldn't select those resolutions in-game. Mind you they were all sub 1080p because I have a poop GTX 1060 and I'm trying to keep my fps above 100. I'm assuming those should work now with the GPU scaling. I'm not sure how much it really helps to sharpen after scaling, but it can't hurt.

Don't have a GeForce at the moment so can't test, but at io-tech forum user reported that these require you to install GeForce Experience, can anyone confirm?

Developer Beta Driver Downloads
January 8th, 2020

Windows 441.97, Linux 440.43.02

Fixes:
  • Fixed a bug that caused DXVK titles to endlessly loop during shader compilation if no OpSource instruction was present
  • Fixed a build failure "fatal error: drm/drmP.h: No such file or directory" when building for Linux 5.5 release candidates
  • Other minor fixes

Windows 441.97

Linux 440.43.02
SHIELD Android TV
https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver

Developer Beta Driver Download
January 15th, 2020

Windows 441.99, Linux 440.48.02

New:

Windows 441.99
Linux 440.48.02
https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver

NVIDIA GRAPHICS FIRMWARE UPDATE TOOL FOR DISPLAYPORT 1.3 AND 1.4 DISPLAYS
For Maxwell and Pascal GPU's - You likely don't need this but included here for those who update firmware to the latest version.

Version: 1.0
Release Date: 2018.06.04
Quadro Driver Requirement: Release 370 and later
Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit, Windows 10 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit
File Size: 13.7 MB

For Maxwell and Pascal GPU's - You likely don't need this but included here for those who update firmware to the latest version.

To enable the latest DisplayPort 1.3 / 1.4 features, your graphics card may require a firmware update.
Without the update, systems that are connected to a DisplayPort 1.3 / 1.4 monitor could experience blank screens on boot until the OS loads, or could experience a hang on boot.

The NVIDIA Firmware Updater will detect whether the firmware update is needed, and if needed, will give the user the option to update it.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

Rant mode :
1st Drivers are bigger than windows xp - thats ridiculous
main rant : Still forcing me to install Geforce Experience (you can uninstall it later)

An operating system that also contained nvidia drivers.
The reason they are so big is not because of the new features it's because the driver contains a massive case statement (switch in C I believe)
that says :
If game_exe = unrealtournament.exe then
do something
If game_exe = avp.exe then
do something
If game_exe = mohaa.exe then
do something

ect, ect, ect
And every time a new game comes out nvidia optimise for the case statement gets bigger

So optimizations are bad because they lead to drivers being about 1/100th of size of one modern game which they are optimized for?
And how exactly do you know that this is the reason for current driver sizes?

Back