nVidia puts early driver releases behind a registration wall.

I have installed just drivers, NO Geforce Experience and I have found no telemetry at all running on my system.
Which OS? I haven't GFE but it still installed the nvtmpre.exe and nvtmmon.exe files and corresponding scheduled tasks. On Windows 10.

Also nvidia added 2 profile updating scheduled tasks, they run nvprofileupdater64.exe

upload_2016-11-7_16-32-57.png

Interesting to see AMD Crimson driver also gathering the same information during installation:
Previously the three processes "NvTmMon", "NvTmRep" and "NvTmRepOnLogon" were only executed by the installation of Geforce Experience, now also during the driver installation exclusive GFE. Nvidia provides the PCI ID and basic hardware data, including the graphics card model (GTX 1080, GTX 960, etc.), monitor size and resolution, the CPU used, and the PCH on the motherboard. AMD also reads such data during the Crimson driver installation.
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Nvidia-Geforce-Grafikkarte-255598/News/Nvidia-Telemetriedaten-Treiber-1212676/&usg=ALkJrhiP_2UKiC_rk8ivO-PDgYNrM3ovbQ

Is that the problem here? That NV/AMD know what resolution your monitor is or what CPU you use? No. I think the problem is that in their EULA nvidia have stipulated that they have the right to sell this information to third parties along with much more sensitive information like your personal details and websites visited.

Oranges and Apples.

Is that the problem here? That NV/AMD know what resolution your monitor is or what CPU you use? No. I think the problem is that in their EULA nvidia have stipulated that they have the right to sell this information to third parties along with much more sensitive information like your personal details and websites visited.

Oranges and Apples.
Exactly.

People Are Reading the Wrong Privacy Policy
People on Reddit found the Privacy Policy on NVIDIA’s website and summarized it as such: “NVIDIA may collect your name, address, email, phone number, IP address, and non traditional identifiers and share this information with business partners, resellers, affiliates, service providers, consulting partners, and others. This information is combined with typical browsing and cookie data and used by NVIDIA itself or advertising networks.”

That sounds bad. But that’s actually a summary of the privacy policy for your use of NVIDIA’s website. As Gamers Nexus wrote, there’s a separate policy that covers GeForce Experience and NVIDIA’s software.

NVIDIA issued an official statement that said: “NVIDIA does not share any personally identifiable information collected by GeForce Experience outside the company. NVIDIA may share aggregate-level data with select partners, but does not share user-level data… Aggregate data refers to information about a group of users rather than an individual. For example, there are now 80 million users of GeForce Experience.”
NVIDIA says it hasn’t started collecting any new data recently, writing in a statement: “The nature of the information collected has remained consistent since the introduction of GeForce Experience 1.0. The change with GeForce Experience 3.0 is that this error reporting and data collection is now being done in real-time.”
http://www.howtogeek.com/280101/relax-nvidias-telemetry-didnt-just-start-spying-on-you/

At least it spawned someone actually checking the facts and monitoring it, which is what we assume would happen after the reddit. Thanks for the follow-up.

There's a difference, however. The AMD telemetry data is only collected during driver installation, AFAIK. Nvidia are putting in a scheduled task to collect data.

I do wonder if there are other things going on, however. As after installing the 1070, I have had erratic behavior with Edge as well as my explorer, internet and LAN connectivity eventually becoming unresponsive. As noted in another forum post, I only started connecting it to Nvidia's graphics drivers when installing new Nvidia drivers without rebooting the machine magically fixed the problems. Prior that revelation, I had been having to reboot the machine to restore functionality. IE - restarting explorer.exe wouldn't fix the issues with explorer.exe, which worked in the past on the very rare occasions that explorer.exe became non-responsive. Same went for internet and LAN. Power cycling the router and modem wouldn't restore their respective functionality, but installing new Nvidia graphics drivers fixed it.

I have no clue WTF Nvidia drivers are doing, but it is really horrible compared to my previous experience with AMD drivers on the same machine with the same OS.

On the bright side, at least now I know that if explorer, the internet, or my LAN connectivity becomes unresponsive all I have to do is re-install the Nvidia drivers to get it working again. :p

Regards,
SB

Which OS? I haven't GFE but it still installed the nvtmpre.exe and nvtmmon.exe files and corresponding scheduled tasks. On Windows 10.

Also nvidia added 2 profile updating scheduled tasks, they run nvprofileupdater64.exe

Windows 7 64bits (Spanish-Spain in case it matters)

GFE just made me sign in for the first time. Fortunately it accepts Google accounts. I guess this is what all the fuss was about? It doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

GFE just made me sign in for the first time. Fortunately it accepts Google accounts. I guess this is what all the fuss was about? It doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
I'm pretty sure earlier it required NVIDIA account for sign in

Yesterday I decided it was time to (finally) update the driver on my laptop's GT 650M. I use it solely for solidworks nowadays so I only update every 6 months or so to maintain compatibility with the applications I have.

Then Geforce Experience appeared, I said "okay".
Then it asked to access either my facebook account, my google plus account or create a nvidia account.
Off to the uninstaller you go.

New driver works fine, though.

I'm pretty sure earlier it required NVIDIA account for sign in
Which it creates for you when you sign in with Google :) it's just a convenience to not have to remember password.

Back