NVIDIA Fermi: Architecture discussion

Is it still PR or is it FUD?

FUD is aimed to damge the competition and that is what they are trying to do. Keep people from buying the ATI cards and have them waiting an unknown time for unrealsed, untested and unfinished NV products.

Since when isn't FUD not part of various PR stunts? That infamous pic (which has been dreadfully overanalyzed) wouldn't keep me personally from buying anything I'd want as long as I don't have a healthy amount of educated reviews from independent sources.

Key words here in your own text are unreleased, untested, unfinished and I don't think the average reader/viewer is so naive to not realise those rather important parameters when looking at the pic.

I'm personally against any of those showings no matter where the come from. My philosophy goes rather in the put up or shut up direction and if you want another example I'm tired of reading paper dragons about Larabee just as much.

Pimp it to hell and back when it's available on shelves.

I don't think the average reader/viewer is so naive to not realise those rather important parameters

The average B3D reader/viewer isn't, but I believe the average loudmouthed 15/6yo "1337" gamer who pesters his dad for an Alienware rig every year is. ;)

I pestered my dad for a R600. And I got told to put up with grades and clean lawns. Sheesh.

Since when isn't FUD not part of various PR stunts? That infamous pic (which has been dreadfully overanalyzed) wouldn't keep me personally from buying anything I'd want as long as I don't have a healthy amount of educated reviews from independent sources.

Key words here in your own text are unreleased, untested, unfinished and I don't think the average reader/viewer is so naive to not realise those rather important parameters when looking at the pic.

I'm personally against any of those showings no matter where the come from. My philosophy goes rather in the put up or shut up direction and if you want another example I'm tired of reading paper dragons about Larabee just as much.

Pimp it to hell and back when it's available on shelves.

I would say a possible buyer of a Tesla or Quadro card does not care at all about those previews. The tech info was interesting. Now bring a running rack to my office, so I can see and test myself, or else I do not care.

But NV is obviously aware that the Tesla sneak previews are also being noticed in the Gamer community. And really, if you come to B3D you are no longer a typical consumer for that market. We all know other sites and we both know the fanboys there are going crazy.

(* Although I still hope that some of those fanboys are at least getting paid for the bs they write, or get some nice advertising on their homepage)

I would say a possible buyer of a Tesla or Quadro card does not care at all about those previews. The tech info was interesting. Now bring a running rack to my office, so I can see and test myself, or else I do not care.

And they probably have, for those more than likely customers. With already confirmed reports of A1/A2 chips in some testers hands, this is really not hard to believe. Scott from Tech-Report, on one of their podcasts, left a great impression of the enthusiasm of those invited to the GTC and also that most of what Fermi features, was part of something like a backlog of requests from various sources in the industry and particularly the HPC market. So I have no doubts that those really interested in this product (the Tesla version) surely already saw it in action multple times or even have some early versions, to test with.

seahawk said:
(* Although I still hope that some of those fanboys are at least getting paid for the bs they write, or get some nice advertising on their homepage)

We know at least one that does :)

Is it still PR or is it FUD?

FUD is aimed to damge the competition and that is what they are trying to do. Keep people from buying the ATI cards and have them waiting an unknown time for unrealsed, untested and unfinished NV products.

A twitter picture isn't much in terms of FUD.

The PPT that both sides put out with misleading performance graphs, and distortions is FUD IMO.

I think it is FUD, because a Tesla customer won´t be impressed. Either show them a running card (even early sample with lower freq.) or promise an upgrade path if they buy a current Tesla and decide to switch, when C20X0 arrives. (which they do btw)

What do Tesla customers have to do with the pic or FUD? The channels for them getting info are different to ours - i.e they are involved very early on even during development as it's their requirements that drive the features Nvidia chooses to include.

Obviously they don't rely on Twitter pics for info.

I think it is FUD, because a Tesla customer won´t be impressed. Either show them a running card (even early sample with lower freq.) or promise an upgrade path if they buy a current Tesla and decide to switch, when C20X0 arrives. (which they do btw)

Fear Uncertainty Doubt. Where is the unimpressed part? :LOL:

FUD isn't about being unimpressive.

So why leak that info?

The "info" (which I prefer to call teaser) was aimed at Gamers, not potential buyers of Tesla clusters. As mentioned before, Tesla customers most likely already saw Fermi in action several times and probably have a few earlier versions for testing too.

So why leak that info?

Why not? They're planning on releasing GeForce before Tesla, why wouldn't they try to generate excitement for the Fermi gaming version? Whatever the reasoning is behind the picture, whether or not it is real or not, if they went months without showing anything, it would probably hurt them more.

I doubt that the picture will make people wait .

Right now people will upgrade for faster cards . the 5850 and 5870 are faster than the competition in current games and use less power also. The 5970 is also faster than the competition and uses less power.

The reason why they wont buy now is because there aren't many games they might need to upgrade for (the big releases of the year work fine on my 4850) and basicly no dx 11 games. So they will wait till something comeso ut tehy can't run or gets a huge visual / performance boost from dx 11

A picture certianly wont do anything.

Yep, you can't really count a simple facebook picture as FUD. It's more of a reassurance for their fans that they have something working, and give those fans something to rally around in various messageboards.

Fermi, graphics at the edge of reality™ :LOL:
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

I can comment on the HardOCP forum's "reaction"...Ever since AMD has launched the HD 5800 series, that it's practically impossible to start a discussion about NVIDIA products there, without that particular thread being flooded by the same old AMD die hard fanatics, that just ruin it to the point of it being closed. I was (and sort of still am) a regular there, but I don't post as much, because of that fact. And also the fact that despite reports, after offenses and even harrasement by some of these fanatical members, the mods do practically nothing and those people roam free to do what they want without consequence.
The video cards sub-forum there is pretty much just flamebait, disinformation and doom and gloom nowadays.
Same thing happened in a lot of forums back in the nV30/FX days, probably for the same reason too. :yep2:

Mod hat on: I recommend people dial down the conspiracy theories, mindless-speculation and leading questions. If you have unshakable proof of photochopping or whatever fine, but this isn't a thread for (over)analysing pictures some guy took with his cellphone.
Forum lawyer hat on: Does this mean we aren't free to speculate on things from now on unless we are absolutely sure of the facts? If so I see a huge decline in posting in general...

Sorry, it's Friday and I was bored. :p

Back