Nvidia DLSS 1 and 2 antialiasing discussion *spawn*

No it's immediately disabled upon selecting DLSS, same for Variable Rate Shading.
Ok, then i guess DLSS includes some kind of temporal accumulation in itself and may also jitter the camera. The latter is something devs using it might know, even if the rest is proprietary and hidden from our curiosity... :)

It learns what the image should be based on comparing the under-sized image to the perfect quality reference.

The multiple DLSS quality settings in these newer titles makes me dream of a dynamic DLSS resolution scaling. RT games would really benefit from this since the framerates tend to be quite low on average. Crashing from 70fps to 50fps feels much worse than crashing from 140fps to 80fps imo.

DLSS definitely has improved since the initial introduction and will likely will continue.
Will consoles require a feature similar to DLSS?

This is technically impossible - you can't improve over what the artist originally intended. Even if the results appears to look better in your eyes, they're not better because they're wrong.

The target reference images used to train DLSS models are much higher resolution than the native resolution of your monitor. So yes it is technically possible if the reconstruction process is smart enough.

Now it’s another matter whether Wolfenstein is actually using a trained model or the hardcoded upscaling algorithm that Nvidia also calls DLSS. Talk about snake oil.

The target reference images used to train DLSS models are much higher resolution than the native resolution of your monitor. So yes it is technically possible if the reconstruction process is smart enough.
Technically they use a super sampling algorithm for training images. So at perfect DLSS quality it would come close to rendering SSAA for that resolution. Not sure if that is technically much higher than native necessarily.

it is possible for people to prefer DLSS and it also not be accurate compared to native. Haha. Sort of the pros and cons of deep learning. It’s just going to draw what it thinks it should be.

Technically they use a super sampling algorithm for training images. So at perfect DLSS quality it would come close to rendering SSAA for that resolution. Not sure if that is technically much higher than native necessarily.

it is possible for people to prefer DLSS and it also not be accurate compared to native. Haha. Sort of the pros and cons of deep learning. It’s just going to draw what it thinks it should be.

64x SSAA certainly is much higher :) Again, who knows what they’re actually doing.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-dlss-turing-tech-analysis

I wouldn't be surprised to see DLSS 2X once Ampere becomes available.

Wouldn't that just be rendering at the higher native res? What does the 2X represent? Being 2x better? Being 2x higher res? Being 2x faster? Being 2.0 ?

Wouldn't that just be rendering at the higher native res? What does the 2X represent? Being 2x better? Being 2x higher res? Being 2x faster? Being 2.0 ?
2x faster. The model stays static unless it’s updated; so better hardware would run it faster.

2x faster. The model stays static unless it’s updated; so better hardware would run it faster.
Where are you getting that information? The 2x in the original DLSS documents from Nvidia was referring to a higher quality mode.

Where are you getting that information? The 2x in the original DLSS documents from Nvidia was referring to a higher quality mode.
Sorry I didn't realize 2X DLSS was an actual setting.
For some reason I thought he was referring to a future 2X DLSS that does not exist yet because Ampere hadn't arrived. As in using the existing model with Ampere would net a better result.

DLSS definitely has improved since the initial introduction and will likely will continue.
Will consoles require a feature similar to DLSS?
I think this topic has been brought up several times. I think a lot of people just felt it was hot air until -- well today.
I had originally estimated that a 2070 would hav been perfect as a baseline console $399 as long as it could do both RT, VRS and DLSS. And I think honestly, it seems to hold true.

The fact that we turned the notch to 11 is pretty confusing lol. I guess DLSS has some drawbacks in the time to deliver. I'm not sure to be honest.

I wouldn't be surprised to see DLSS 2X once Ampere becomes available.
NVIDIA needs to eat their words on DLSS before that can happen, since according to them DLSS can only be used in situations where it yields performance gains. And DLSS2X can never offer that.
(unless they've already forgotten that decision)

Back