Nvidia DLSS 1 and 2 antialiasing discussion *spawn*

Is using MIP maps at the internal resolution something that carried over from console development?
It's what happens by default, if you don't apply a LOD bias or explicit LOD selection in the shader. The GPU uses mip levels appropriate for the target resolution of the current render pass, i.e. in case of DLSS, the resolution before scaling to the output resolution. Applying LOD bias is easy, it's just something the developer needs to do.

F.I.S.T.: Forged in Shadow Torch Launches on PC with NVIDIA DLSS Support, Improving Performance by 3X (wccftech.com)
October 4, 2021
F.I.S.T. has ray-traced lighting throughout, which includes ray-traced reflections, global illumination, and caustics that dramatically raise the image quality in the game. DLSS in the game features great scaling across all RTX GPUs and all resolutions alongside incredible gains at 4K with Ray Tracing enabled. Thanks to DLSS, the performance is boosted up to 3X in 4K, allowing for ray-traced gaming at 60 FPS at 4K resolution on the 3060Ti and above.

image001-1030x634.png

Did you notice any issues by forcing LOD bias per chance? On Alan's clothing/pants leg at all?

I don't believe I noticed anything like that, but I only played 45 mins. What I have noticed is that I need to change "Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling" to "0x00000008 AA_MODE_REPLAY_MODE_ALL" in Profile Inspector or LOD bias will not be applied. I have put full uncropped pngs in google drive including native 4k.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DjdpIUl7q8AGPRiC4hpCed3KTyARcyxd

NVIDIA DLSS Adds 10 Games In October, Including The Newly Released Back 4 Blood

Rise of the Tomb Raider Adds NVIDIA DLSS, Shadow of the Tomb Raider Receives A DLSS Upgrade

With 10 more DLSS games coming this October, NVIDIA DLSS is now accelerating performance with uncompromised image quality in 120 games and apps, including today’s release of Back 4 Blood. This October also sees the launch of NVIDIA DLSS in Baldur’s Gate 3, Chivalry 2, Crysis Remastered Trilogy, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Sword and Fairy 7, and Swords of Legends Online. And it’s available now in recently released titles Alan Wake Remastered and F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/october-2021-rtx-dlss-game-updates/

ROTTR is very surprising, and if I had to pick one game to get DLSS just for image quality alone, that would be it. The PC version in particular has particularly awful sub-pixel aliasing, even running it on the PS5 with checkerboarding isn't as bad, so very curious to see how this looks as it's rare to see games with TAA get DLSS.

It also means far more rigs will be able to run it with MXAO which can provide a dramatic lighting difference in some scenes, the performance cost of that at 4K put it out of the reach of the vast majority of cards.

It also means far more rigs will be able to run it with MXAO which can provide a dramatic lighting difference in some scenes, the performance cost of that at 4K put it out of the reach of the vast majority of cards.
DX11 version of ROTTR (the one with MXAO) is mostly CPU limited these days (at least on GPUs which support DLSS that is), and DLSS won't help with that much.

DX11 version of ROTTR (the one with MXAO) is mostly CPU limited these days (at least on GPUs which support DLSS that is), and DLSS won't help with that much.
Ah, too bad - didn't know it wasn't available in DX12. Yeah in DX11 my 9400F def holds it back from a sustained 60 whereas it's easily obtainable with DX12, albeit it's not too far off that a slightly more powerful CPU could reach it. Still, biggest detriment to ROTT has always been the awful pixel shimmering, eliminating that is going to make a world of difference.

Ah, too bad - didn't know it wasn't available in DX12. Yeah in DX11 my 9400F def holds it back from a sustained 60 whereas it's easily obtainable with DX12, albeit it's not too far off that a slightly more powerful CPU could reach it. Still, biggest detriment to ROTT has always been the awful pixel shimmering, eliminating that is going to make a world of difference.
We'll have to see how they'll implement DLSS in these two old titles.
ROTTR specifically doesn't have modern TAA and rely on SMAA T2X instead I believe?
In fact I think it would be a great title to use Nv's "new" DLAA mode so hopefully this will be included in all of upcoming titles with DLSS support.

We'll have to see how they'll implement DLSS in these two old titles.
ROTTR specifically doesn't have modern TAA and rely on SMAA T2X instead I believe?
In fact I think it would be a great title to use Nv's "new" DLAA mode so hopefully this will be included in all of upcoming titles with DLSS support.
I think ROTTR was plain SMAA.

Back