NVidia Ada Speculation, Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rasterizing is an outdated concept with these APIs. Looking at the architecture the 4090 has nearly twice of everything over the 3090 except bandwidth:
2x rasterizing, 2x geometrie performance, 2x FP32 performance

Yet in Valhalla the GPU is only 1.65x faster which would be only 2.4x faster than the 3070.

If I was buying Ada the only card I would consider is the 4090. The 4080 12GB Is a joke both in name and performance. I’m not drawing any final conclusions until we see 3rd party benchmarks in realistic scenarios without the DLSS performance mode nonsense.

Even DFs teaser benchmarks were for 4K DLSS performance. They never did that for the 3090 so why do it for the 4090? Silly.
Probably all Nvidia would allow at this point.

The question now is: with the crazy tripling of the transistor budget, where did all of this budget go? Towards RT cores and Tensor cores? The 4090 probably needs more power and more clocks to push towards 2X the rasterization that was expected from it. Either that or the architecture is not as scalable as it used to be.
96MB of L2 eats a bunch. That's 16x GA102

These are HPC cards NVIDIA is selling as gaming cards. This massive compute performance uplift doesn’t scale well with gaming at all.

Even DFs teaser benchmarks were for 4K DLSS performance. They never did that for the 3090 so why do it for the 4090? Silly.
It's something of an integrity thing on the part of NVIDIA actually.

You see, DLSS 3 is going to work on the basis of DLSS2 in Performance mode, the first frame is made by DLSS2 Performance, the following frame will be done through DLSS3 (Frame Generator). So comparing against DLSS2 Performance on the 3090Ti is a must here. This way NVIDIA isolated the only new variable in the new RTX 4000 series, the frame generation part.

If NVIDIA compared against native or DLSS2 Quality on the 3090Ti, the gains would be astronomically high, but also misleadingly high as well.

It's something of an integrity thing on the part of NVIDIA actually.

You see, DLSS 3 is going to work on the basis of DLSS2 in Performance mode, the first frame is made by DLSS2 Performance, the following frame will be done through DLSS3 (Frame Generator). So comparing against DLSS2 Performance on the 3090Ti is a must here. This way NVIDIA isolated the only new variable in the new RTX 4000 series, the frame generation part.

If NVIDIA compared against native or DLSS2 Quality on the 3090Ti, the gains would be astronomically high, but also misleadingly high as well.
I think he was wanting to see benchmarks at either native or a higher DLSS level without frame generation on Ada.

studio-ada-perf-chart-3d-blog-1280w-dark.png

Wtf is this graphic. I can't tell which card is which. I can assume 4090 is top, 3080 ti is bottom, but I can't tell the difference between the middle two most likely because of my colour blindess. Honestly no idea how websites etc are still absolutely brain damaged about designed graphics for the 5% of the world with some form of colour vision anomaly.

Sentiment around the 4080s appears to be biasing objective critique of the 4090. The two segments have very different narratives and should be critiqued independently. Keep in mind that the 4090 has a 24GB frame buffer and is bringing a sizeable generational improvement vs. the 3090 while costing less (inflation-adjusted).

Sentiment around the 4080s appears to be biasing objective critique of the 4090. The two segments have very different narratives and should be critiqued independently. Keep in mind that the 4090 has a 24GB frame buffer and is bringing a sizeable generational improvement vs. the 3090 while costing less (inflation-adjusted).
4080 16GB has a 16GB of VRAM and likely brings similarly sizeable generational improvements over any Ampere part.
The only card which looks "weak" is 4080 12GB - but mostly because all Ampere lineup above 3080 10GB was condensed into a +-20% of performance. Which makes 4080 12GB vs 3090Ti performance comparisons as relevant as 4080 12GB vs 3080 10GB really.

4080 16GB has a 16GB of VRAM and likely brings similarly sizeable generational improvements over any Ampere part.
The only card which looks "weak" is 4080 12GB - but mostly because all Ampere lineup above 3080 10GB was condensed into a +-20% of performance. Which makes 4080 12GB vs 3090Ti performance comparisons as relevant as 4080 12GB vs 3080 10GB really.
Which Ampere GPU do you think is the proper comparison point for each Ada product?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back