NVidia Ada Speculation, Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely not looking for a watered down, RT compromised gaming experience using next-gen cards. Currently only Nvidia and Intel solutions looks viable.

Im curious what Ada will deliver for laptops, given the 4nm process and efficiency gain with DLSS3, RT and similar TGP to Ampere, maybe the laptops will perform closer to the desktop counterparts this time.

Ideally, I would like them to introduce a SoC like design where they are integrating High End GPUs into a SoC like Apple does with the M chips, that could lead to big efficiency gains further closing the gap from desktop to mobile. Though, of course they'd have to work with Intel and AMD to make this possible. Franky, AMD has a much higher chance of achieving this, given they develop CPU and GPU inhouse.

Remember the 8800GT that became the 9800GT that became the GTS240?

And the 9800GTX that became the 9800GTX+ that became the GTS250?

That's what they're doing here but without changing the labels on the rtx3000 GPU's to say rtx40xx 👀

They've come full circle, they used to make massive, power hungry GPU's (GTX200 Series and Fermi) and then dropped that and moved to smaller, more efficient GPU's (GTX600 series) and have slowly worked their way back to massive GPU's again.

Games that are very well optimized for Ampere are not necessarily also optimized for Ada, and at the least I would not expect them to be better optimized for Ada than Ampere.
Games that are well optimized for Ampere won't run into scaling issues on Ada which is more or a less a wider Ampere with some shader execution improvements (mostly visible in RT though I suppose).
If you look at results here the scaling between new cards in titles are all over the place.
RE8 does 0.8/1.2/1.7
ACV does 0.9/1.2/1.5
TD2 does 1.0/1.2/1.6
The only card showing the same scaling between these titles is 4080-16 which doesn't make much sense.

Also 4080-16 is more or less the same as 3080Ti but with higher clocks and a different memory system.
Flops gain on it compared to 3080Ti as at ~45% and all of this is basically from higher clocks.
In these three titles 3080Ti to 4080-16 scaling is at +38%, +29% and +26%. These look weird all things considering.

Last edited:
Whoa the 3090 Ti is faster than the 4080 12GB? That’s a pretty hard fail for the 4080.

Yeah, I was expecting better. And only 3 actual titles, ones they assumedly chose because they make the new cards look good, and that's all the performance they're touting? What's worrying is that they don't mention what resolution these games are running at either.

nVidia claims that the 4090 is 4.28x faster with DLSS 3.0 than the 3090TI with DLSS P in Cyberpunk with the new RT mode. In the comparision videos DLSS 3 delivers ~4.3x more performance over native 4K. So, the 4090 in 4K performs (22 FPS) similiar to the 3090TI in 1080p?!

I really don't mind a smaller leap in raster/fp32 perf where more focus is on RT and other more interesting efficiency optimizations like DLSS. We're seeing it already where high end games use these features and really need them to shine are becoming more commonplace.

The pricing and model naming though is just so Nvidia. Big fuck you to gamers. I hope they sell very few both Ampere and Ada.

Ugh, after skimming some pages on an enthusiast(!) HW forum, it seems gamers will all do an EVGA this round.

Maybe this wasn't Jensen, but actually his twin from a parallel omniverse, where we have cold fusion for unilimited energy, Musk has a house on Mars, and Apple watches provide life extension.
At least it's big enough so they can sell it as Steam Deck cases, if all else fails.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Problem is i'm not so optimistic AMD does better well enough. Slow death of dGPUs confirmed.

New shiny SW features are here. RT lead is sealed. GeForce brand lives on. These will sell plenty.

They will be selling them to a market now that actually wants the bulk of them for gaming, though. There actually are limits to the Geforce brand, as it turns out.

NVIDIA (NASDAQ: NVDA) today announced selected preliminary financial results for the second quarter ended July 31, 2022.

Second quarter revenue is expected to be approximately $6.70 billion, down 19% sequentially and up 3% from the prior year, primarily reflecting weaker than forecasted Gaming revenue. Gaming revenue was $2.04 billion, down 44% sequentially and down 33% from the prior year. Data Center revenue was $3.81 billion, up 1% sequentially and up 61% from the prior year.

Probably 50~% faster when looking at a large game performance summary. Certainly nowhere near the hype that was always pure fantasy. DLSS frame generation really has to live up to the claims because the hardware doesnt seem particularly impressive for gaming.

Probably 50~% faster when looking at a large game performance summary. Certainly nowhere near the hype that was always pure fantasy. DLSS frame generation really has to live up to the claims because the hardware doesnt seem particularly impressive for gaming.
50% is disappointing now? Not impressive for gaming?

Hmm, I should go to bed. :[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back