NVidia Ada Speculation, Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be changed at least 5 times till launch :D
These are apparently TBPs as well so rated TDPs should be ~30W lower? Which would mean that 4080 would be below 3080 in power consumption...

There's also this though:

Which makes me wonder if this one above is the actual 4080 while that 320W GA103 card will end up being 4070.

Anyway, all these reports on Nvidia tests of various configurations are fairly useless.

Last edited:
For a while now, AD103 has only ever been rumored to be 10752 FP32 as a full chip, same as GA102(even from that big Nvidia 'hack' leak). And Kopite himself has been saying 9728 for the 4080 for a while now, so that's not exactly new. It'd certainly leave the door open for a 4080Ti.

Clocks would certainly be much higher than a 3080. Wouldn't be surprised if it was around a 2.7-2.8Ghz actual boost clock.

I'd guess something roughly like 25-30% better than a 3090, in turn being like 40% better than a 3080.

Nice with large performance improvements in pure raster still. Going to be intresting to see RT/ML performance and finally pricings for future gpus.

"Going to be interesting to see RT/ML performance... "
Indeed! Also wondering if the new cache subsystems will add Hopper-like async transfers between (caches, shared.mem) and gpu main mem. If not, bandwidth-limited compute kernels might do better with that full-fat 912.4 GB/s bandwidth of el cheapo 3080/12. Running 4 x 3080/12 at (cpu base clock, +400 on mem)... easy way to get 4 TB/s total bandwidth on a single 1600W PSU.

apparently the reveal will be at GTC next month on September 20
In Gaming, our partners and ecosystem are responding to a sudden slowdown in consumer demand and correcting channel inventory. Still, the fundamentals of gaming are strong. We’ll get through this over the next few months and go into next year with our new architecture. I look forward to telling you more about it at GTC next month.

I look forward to next month’s GTC conference, where we will share new advances of RTX reinventing 3D graphics and gaming.

NVIDIA CEO - Jensen Huang (Q2 2023 Earnings Call)

This wording worries me greatly from a pricing perspective:

And it (Ampere) remains the best GPUs in the world, and it will be very successful for some time. However, we do have exciting new next-generation coming and it’s going to be layered on top of that.

That sounds to me like Ampere will be sticking around and Ada will be priced above it. I hope I'm being overly pessimistic there.

Looks like we'll probably see 4090 limited release Q4 then start releasing more SKUs Q1 2023.

This wording worries me greatly from a pricing perspective:

That sounds to me like Ampere will be sticking around and Ada will be priced above it. I hope I'm being overly pessimistic there.
Yep.. I said as much back in early August.
We'll see. I'm skeptical.

I think they will bump it up and they'll say "You want cheaper GPUs? We've got some for you.. the 30 series.

Anyway I hope you're right.

Samsung's 8nm should be up to 4x cheaper than TSMC's 4nm process. So Ampere will be used for low-end to (lower) mid-range for a while.

Samsung's 8nm should be up to 4x cheaper than TSMC's 4nm process. So Ampere will be used for low-end to (lower) mid-range for a while.
People really should stop talking about nm when talking about processes, they have nothing to do with anything anymore (and while manufacturers still use them, the actual process names don't)
For example, TSMC doesn't have 4 nm process, they have N5, N5P, N4, 4N (nvidia wants own name for their specific config for whatever reason) etc which belong to their "5nm class processes" but not one of them has anything 5nm "sized"

Hm, TSMC claims they have a "4nm" process:
TSMC’s 5nm (N5) Fin Field-Effect Transistor (FinFET) technology successfully entered volume production in the second quarter of 2020 and experienced a strong ramp in the second half of 2020.
[...]
In addition, TSMC plans to launch 4nm (N4) technology, an enhanced version of N5 technology. N4 provides further enhancement in performance, power and density for the next wave of N5 products. The development of N4 technology is on schedule with good progress, and volume production is expected to start in 2022.[/Quot€]

Hm, TSMC claims they have a "4nm" process:
Like I said, they still talk about it, but even process names don't refer to nanometers anymore (it's N5 instead of 5nm etc, Intel 7 instead of 10nm and so on)
The little relation "nanometers" still had with reality was lost for good when we moved to finfets. The nm is supposed to refer to smallest feature size, gate length in transistor. There isn't too detailed information on all processes, but 14nm has enough details for 3 manufacturers. Depending on manufacturer "14nm gate length" is actually 18 to 30 nm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back