Nvidia 2013 tech day ? OptiX sdk

As I said in another thread, it's not like Mantle.

OptiX isn't new and it's a Ray Tracing engine. It's not an API for rasterizers.

Perhaps nVidia is trying to make it pass as a Mantle competitor, but it's not.
(Just a guess, I'm not watching the event)

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said in another thread, it's not like Mantle.

OptiX isn't new and it's a Ray Tracing engine. It's not an API for rasterizers.

Perhaps nVidia is trying to make it pass as a Mantle competitor, but it's not.
(Just a guess, I'm not watching the event)

optix is a part...: Gameworks library: VisualFX SDK, graphics library, PhysX SDK, Core SDK, Game Compute Library. Optix SDK

seem to be more proprietary extensions than API, or not?

optix is a part...: Gameworks library: VisualFX SDK, graphics library, PhysX SDK, Core SDK, Game Compute Library. Optix SDK

seem to be more proprietary extensions than API, or not?

It's proprietary middleware used for game development. They're specialized plugins for game engines to tackle specific problems - physics, volumetric effects, lighting etc. e.g. Unreal uses PhysX.

They're not directly related to graphics APIs or Mantle.

It's proprietary middleware used for game development. They're specialized plugins for game engines to tackle specific problems - physics, volumetric effects, lighting etc. e.g. Unreal uses PhysX.

So its just a compilation, a group of what they have allready as separated sdk, library under a new " name ": Gameworks.. or i miss something. ?

Ok thank you....another thing: the nvidia gpus were not incompatible with the dx11.2?

Our GPUs based on Kepler architecture are ready for DX 11.2 and will immediately support these features.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2013/10/17/windows-8-1-2/

Ok thank you....another thing: the nvidia gpus were not incompatible with the dx11.2?
Not really surprising, as AMD's cards were the same and both manufacturers have supported partially resident textures of one variant or another in OpenGL for a while now. The only remaining question is what level of tiled resources (PRT in DirectX language) they support in 11.2.

Not really surprising, as AMD's cards were the same and both manufacturers have supported partially resident textures of one variant or another in OpenGL for a while now. The only remaining question is what level of tiled resources (PRT in DirectX language) they support in 11.2.

mmm...ok i see, thank you ;)

Sure they support 11.2 with basicly all the optional features (maybe not tiled ressources tier2, we don't know), but only feature level 11.0.
(just like eg. 8800gtx supports 11.2, with less optional features and feature level 10.0 ;)

Anything new announced today? Couldn't find anything skimming the live blogs.

Sure they support 11.2 with the optional features (maybe not tiled ressources tier2, we don't know), but only feature level 11.0.
(just like eg. 8800gtx supports 11.2, with less optional features and feature level 10.0 ;).

No they support tiled resources. The Microsoft demos were running on nVidia hardware.

Yes, but we don't know if it's a level 1 or 2 (or even if the difference means anything in practice)

Yes, but we don't know if it's a level 1 or 2 (or even if the difference means anything in practice)

Right. I'm not quite sure what "levels" mean. DirectX 10+ was supposedly getting rid of cap bits but if we're back to enabling features a la carte then nothing's really changed.

Right. I'm not quite sure what "levels" mean. DirectX 10+ was supposedly getting rid of cap bits but if we're back to enabling features a la carte then nothing's really changed.
It basically boils down to Level 1 = NVIDIA, Level 2 = AMD. Among other differences, reads from non-mapped tiles are undefined under Level 1.

Back