NV45 spotted @ Anand

It's also good to see that someone is finally making a dual-DVI X800 (Asus card shown later in the article). I know quite a few people have been asking for one of these for some time.

As regards the NV45, are we just expecting it to be a PCI Express-native NV40 with higher clocks?

It's also good to see that someone is finally making a dual-DVI X800 (Asus card shown later in the article). I know quite a few people have been asking for one of these for some time.

That PCI-E X800 looks like it has no power connector at all, too.

This will be rather interesting to see what comes of the PCI-E series of cards if the ATI X800 (Pro?) does not need any additional power while the NV6800 (GT?) needs a custom power supply of sorts. 8)

Well perhaps there's been something going on behind the scenes that we're not aware of and BTX PSUs (+ maybe newer ATX PSUs) will come with a dedicated, 3x2 connector for GPUs. Until then I'm sure an adapter will allow use with current units.

Looks like they've replaced the white MM header with on-board contacts too.

Mariner said:
As regards the NV45, are we just expecting it to be a PCI Express-native NV40 with higher clocks?
Pretty much, higher clocks from a general respin and low-k.

Since it seems NV4x (not NV40) are all native PCIE, and it seems the HSI works both ways (AGP->PCIE and PCIE->AGP), are there any technical reasons that would keep a board manufacturer from making AGP versions? I'm wondering mostly about the mainstream cards, since that's what's in my price range.

Lezmaka said:
Since it seems NV4x (not NV40) are all native PCIE, and it seems the HSI works both ways (AGP->PCIE and PCIE->AGP), are there any technical reasons that would keep a board manufacturer from making AGP versions? I'm wondering mostly about the mainstream cards, since that's what's in my price range.
No, there are not. However, I don't think you should expect to see NV4x chipsets that are not the NV40 or NV45 anytime soon.

Mmmm, I would say 450 is probably a bit on the conservative side. It wouldn't surprise me if they hit 500, but I would expect that they would hit the original NV40 target of 475Mhz. Then again, it all kind of depends on yields, doesn't it?

BRiT said:
This will be rather interesting to see what comes of the PCI-E series of cards if the ATI X800 (Pro?) does not need any additional power while the NV6800 (GT?) needs a custom power supply of sorts. 8)

Yep, Especially with all the PCIe/AGP combo boards coming out that won't require a special power supply.

Well, I guess it is made by TSMC.
Note: we've had to blur or cut out various markings on the card itself to protect our sources, nothing else has been modified in these pictures

Back