NPD September 2010

It's not just "some random website"... it's probably Canada's biggest community/forum ever. I wouldn't even be surprised if half of Canada visits that site.

It's so big I never heard of it until now. I'm Canadian.

And like I said, NPD hasn't released numbers for Canada for a while now, but when they did (back when the 360 was consistently outselling the PS3 in the US by a lot) the numbers were much closer. These are the last numbers I could find:

NPD Canada Nov. 2007

NPD US Nov. 2007

I wouldn't exactly call that similar.

And I wouldn't call it ps3 land either, 360 outselling ps3 by 15-20%.

It's not PS3 land but it's not "very similar" to the US as you claimed either. Decent PS3 sales for back in 2007 when the gaming aspect of the PS3 was pretty weak and the price point was still high, I'd say.

:rolleyes:

RFD has over 336,000 members (and probably just as many "visitors"). They have sponsored sales (and sometimes exclusives deals) from some of Canada's biggest online retailers (newegg, NCIX, Dell, Visions, bestbuy/futureshop and more). It's the CDN equivalent to slickdeals in the US (if not even more popular).

I've been a member of RFD since 2004 and I've personally witnessed the PS3's popularity in Canada grow. I never said it's "PS3 land", I simply said Canada is more pro-PS3 than the US, and the numbers clearly indicate that. I'm not saying it's as much as "RFD" indicates, but I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 is outselling the 360 in Canada in the present day (those numbers are from 2007).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, so Canada has approximately 1.5 million residents? ;)

Regards,
SB
:p

Not as many members as I thought, but it's still probably Canada's biggest community/forum and consists of everyone from gamers to grandparents and everyone in-between. After all, it's main purpose is to share deals, and who doesn't want to save money?

And like I said, NPD hasn't released numbers for Canada for a while now, but when they did (back when the 360 was consistently outselling the PS3 in the US by a lot) the numbers were much closer. These are the last numbers I could find: NPD Canada Nov. 2007 NPD US Nov. 2007

I wouldn't exactly call that similar.

For what it's worth, at the end of 2008 the total sales from NPD were:

Wii - 1,488,900
360 - 1,153,800
PS3 - 722,800

As an aside, it took a further 12 months for the Wii to hit the 2 million mark.

I've never heard of redflagdeals.com either. I can walk into just about any electronics or games retailer and the 360 section will be significantly bigger than the PS3 section. I wouldn't put too much faith in estimates based on one online site.

My info/links speak for themselves; they provide enough evidence to backup my claims. I don't expect every canuck to know of redflagdeals, and even if none of you know of it, doesn't make it some random site. Fact is, many Canadians visit RFD with over 330k members and several visitors. They get enough traffic to have sponsored sales by Canada's biggest retailers. Besides, RFD was not my only source of information. You can choose what you want to believe.

My info/links speak for themselves; they provide enough evidence to backup my claims. I don't expect every canuck to know of redflagdeals, and even if none of you know of it, doesn't make it some random site. Fact is, many Canadians visit RFD with over 330k members and several visitors. They get enough traffic to have sponsored sales by Canada's biggest retailers. Besides, RFD was not my only source of information. You can choose what you want to believe.

However many people may visit that place only about 100 of them chose to vote in the polls.

That's probably because it was posted in the video game section. But still, post that same poll question in an American based message board, and I bet the votes will be more like 50/50.

Look, this is all going way too far OT. Your original claim was that sales in Canada are similar to that of the US, and I was simply attempting to prove that they're not. Whether you choose to believe me based on the info I posted is up to you. I have two sources to backup my claims vs your zero.

Why the PS3 is more popular up north is odd, I know. The only explanation I can think of, is that Canada (IMO) is more multicultural and diverse than the US and, to me at least, the PS3 seems to outsell the 360 in most countries outside of the US.

That's probably because it was posted in the video game section. But still, post that same poll question in an American based message board, and I bet the votes will be more like 50/50.

I really don't give a rats ass what some stupid forum poll shows. It's not useful.'

And why would a US forum be 50/50 when the 360 is clearly ahead in sales? Are you saying that a forum wouldn't reflect the actual sales data? Why?

Look, this is all going way too far. Your original claim was that sales in Canada are similar to that of the US, and I was simply attempting to prove that they're not. Whether you choose to believe me based on the info I posted is up to you. I have two sources to backup my claims vs your zero.

No, you really don't. You have one Canadian NPD showing the 360 outselling the ps3 by more than 15%, when the US NPD was ~30% and nothing else. The discussion here really started with zeds suggestion that the ps3 was dominating in the world outside the US/UK. Canada is just one significant region where that clearly isn't happening.

Wow... just wow. I'm not even going to bother. :LOL:

Then why did you? Blinded by something other than reason?

Who the hell actually believes a forum poll with 100 voters (or 3 polls on the same forum) is reflective of a nation of 34 million people?

I'm not going to bother responding to that particular post, because frankly, I don't think I have to.

Why did I bother responding to your false claim that sales in Canada are similar to the US? Why not? This is a public messageboard which I'm a member of, and last time I checked, I have a right to post. The better question is, why are you making such a big stink out of it? Insecure?

Forget I even mentioned RFD. I still have one more source than your NONE.

Look, this is all going way too far OT. Your original claim was that sales in Canada are similar to that of the US, and I was simply attempting to prove that they're not. Whether you choose to believe me based on the info I posted is up to you. I have two sources to backup my claims vs your zero.

Why the PS3 is more popular up north is odd, I know. The only explanation I can think of, is that Canada (IMO) is more multicultural and diverse than the US and, to me at least, the PS3 seems to outsell the 360 in most countries outside of the US.

In no way would I believe the PS3 is more popular in Canada without more data than some random polls responded to by a hundred people on a random website that does not definitively represent the buying public. On top of that, the leap in logic that the PS3 is more popular because of multiculturalism and diversity in population doesn't make any sense.

I can walk into any EB games, futureshop, best buy, Walmart etc, and the 360 section will be bigger in every single one of them. Maybe the 360 is more popular in my city, but I'd say that "data" is just as useful, if not more so, than your random forum polls.

FFS, please read the entire conversion and not the derailed OT BS about RFD.... :rolleyes:

I can't believe how far you guys continue to comment on the RFD polls and ignore my other pieces of information. I say that PS3/360 sales are more even than they are in the US and you guys act like I killed your dog. :LOL:

Again, forget I ever mentioned the RFD polls (god help me, I regret I even mentioned it considering the shit that is put on me right now :LOL: ). NPD November 2007 sales (back when the PS3 was still expensive and was selling poorly in the US) suggest that sales are not "similar" to the US. It's not much, but NPD released a very small amount of sales data in Canada, and it's all the information we have. I would imagine now that the PS3 has dropped to 299 (and from what I've been noticing) that the PS3's popularity is even higher than those Nov. 2007 numbers. Until you guys can prove otherwise, I honestly don't know why this argument has gone the way it has.

edit: found some more NPD Canada numbers.
2007 NPD Canada numbers:
385,000 - 360
265,000 - PS3
360 sold ~45% more

and the US:
4.62m - 360
2.56m - PS3
360 sold ~80% more

2008 sales in Canada (not sure if these percentages are HW sales, or total sales... I'm thinking the latter).
Canadians spent a record $2.09 billion on video-game consoles, games and accessories, and year-over year growth was 23 per cent, NPD said in figures released Friday.

Nintendo Wii dominated the console market, taking 44.1 per cent of sales, with Microsoft Xbox in second at 25.5 per cent and Sony's PlayStation 3 at 21.7 per cent.

Overall, 1.9 million consoles were sold in Canada over the year.
So in Canada:
484,500 - 360
412,300 - PS3
360 sold ~17.5% more

and the US:
4,735,400 - 360
3,544,900 - PS3
360 sold ~33.6% more

Not as dramatic as the Nov. 2007 numbers that I posted (LINK) indicate, but it proves my point nonetheless. That's the last bit of sales data for Canada that I could find. Beyond this is all speculation/opinion. But based on what I've been seeing, the PS3's popularity has grown since the slim launch and seems to be the more popular console here. If you've seen otherwise, that's your opinion.

No, you really don't. You have one Canadian NPD showing the 360 outselling the ps3 by more than 15%, when the US NPD was ~30% and nothing else. The discussion here really started with zeds suggestion that the ps3 was dominating in the world outside the US/UK. Canada is just one significant region where that clearly isn't happening.
true + Ive seen recent NPD canada data for the last few months + also couple of years (which u will have to take my word on cause I cant say, yes the xbox360 is still selling higher than the ps3 there but not as great as the ratio in is the US, i.e. they are more ps3 orientated north of the lakes )
(+ yes alphawolf ps3 is over 1million there, go and find the other ~3 million if you doubt )
The discussion here really started with zeds suggestion that the ps3 was dominating in the world outside the US/UK
well compared to the xbox360 yes it is has actually sold more units (including canada) i.e. choosing one country (out of the 100+) (theres a couple of others as well(*)) where its not happening does not suddenly make the statement false. look at the overall picture! and this aint no holistic crap man! its deep shit

(*)another is here in NZ, AFAIKS this is the sole country on the planet where the xbox is the best selling console, but a single country does not equate to the whole of the planet, which brings me back to my point
NPD != EARTH

FFS, please read the entire conversion and not the derailed OT BS about RFD.... :rolleyes:

I can't believe how far you guys continue to comment on the RFD polls and ignore my other pieces of information. I say that PS3/360 sales are more even than they are in the US and you guys act like I killed your dog. :LOL:

Again, forget I ever mentioned the RFD polls (god help me, I regret I even mentioned it considering the shit that is put on me right now :LOL: ). NPD November 2007 sales (back when the PS3 was still expensive and was selling poorly in the US) suggest that sales are not "similar" to the US. It's not much, but NPD released a very small amount of sales data in Canada, and it's all the information we have. I would imagine now that the PS3 has dropped to 299 (and from what I've been noticing) that the PS3's popularity is even higher than those Nov. 2007 numbers. Until you guys can prove otherwise, I honestly don't know why this argument has gone the way it has.

edit: found some more NPD Canada numbers.
2007 NPD Canada numbers:
385,000 - 360
265,000 - PS3
360 sold ~45% more

and the US:
4.62m - 360
2.56m - PS3
360 sold ~80% more

2008 sales in Canada (not sure if these percentages are HW sales, or total sales... I'm thinking the latter).

So in Canada:
484,500 - 360
412,300 - PS3
360 sold ~17.5% more

and the US:
4,735,400 - 360
3,544,900 - PS3
360 sold ~33.6% more

Not as dramatic as the Nov. 2007 numbers that I posted (LINK) indicate, but it proves my point nonetheless. That's the last bit of sales data for Canada that I could find. Beyond this is all speculation/opinion. But based on what I've been seeing, the PS3's popularity has grown since the slim launch and seems to be the more popular console here. If you've seen otherwise, that's your opinion.

So, your point was that PS3 is relatively more popular in Canada than it is in the USA, but still a good deal less popular than the 360. Or is your point that the PS3 is now the more popular console in Canada? You have some data for the former, but not the latter.

This is why these sales threads suck.

Back