NPD September 2010

AlphaWolf

Specious Misanthrope
Legend
So we only have a couple of real numbers so far, but hopefully we'll get some more info. I'll update this post if anyone finds anymore.

Xbox 360 483989
ps3 ??? (Between 282.5k and 483k) - 312K
wii 254k
DS 403k

wii and ps3 were both reported as less than 360.

Top 10 game titles.
Halo: Reach (Microsoft, Xbox 360) 3.3 million
Madden NFL 11 (Electronic Arts, Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, Wii, PSP)
Dead Rising 2 (Capcom, Xbox 360, PS3, PC) 370k
NHL 11 (EA, Xbox 360, PS3)
FIFA Soccer 11 (EA, Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, PSP, Nintendo DS)
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (Square Enix, PSP) 225k
Mafia II (Take 2 Interactive, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions (Activision Blizzard, PS3, 360, NDS, Wii)
Metroid: Other M (Nintendo, Wii) 173k
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)

Nice to see an NHL game chart.

Last edited by a moderator:
The combined sku's is making it very difficult for people on neogaf.

I keep seeing stuff like "game X charted!!!"

This is not the same Top 10 model. We don't know how well each Sku for the games above charted.

This is not the same Top 10 model. We don't know how well each Sku for the games above charted.

Ya it could easily have been that there were 2 or 3 versions of Madden in the old top 10. Without numbers its really hard to tell.

Yah, pretty much all you can take from this is that X360 came out on top in hardware and Halo: Reach probably obliterated all other's for software.

Regards,
SB

Just as I suspected though, it makes the Wii look significantly worse. Only one Wii in the top ten. Two more titles that are on Wii, but probably sold almost no copies on Wii (Madden and Spiderman).

As far as I can tell from neogaf number wrangling, Zed's PS3>Wii prediction is at least in play based on the following.

PS3 between 283k and 482k

Wii <= 305k

Also, for Halo to sell the same on ~20 million consoles as it did on around 6 million back in November 07 is frankly fairly poor. Halo has lost a lot of clout it would seem. Maybe you could even argue MS parting with Bungie will be a good thing. Maybe it had to do with the Reach subtitle rather than "Halo 4". Maybe ODST and Wars watered down the brand.

Then again, Kingdom Hearts PSP being so high makes me wonder if much of anything sold well. Last month the 5th place game sold around a measly 120k IIRC. I'm beginning to wonder if much of anything besides COD is really selling anymore.

Edit: These were zed's numbers. If I'm not mistaken probably very similar to vgchartz

edit- actually I better wait until 3rd oct before I do the predictive numbers since the xbox has dropped back quite a bit in the last week
// updated numbers after 2oct
wii 221k
xb360 495k
ps3 252k

Some More Info

PS3 up week on week over August. (This would put it over 282.5k)
Overall console hardware and software sales down 8%. (yoy)
Software sales were down 5%. (yoy)
Console software down 6%. (yoy)
PC games sales totaled $41 million for the Month

Considering the huge month from Halo Reach, that really doesn't make things look all that good for the rest of the software.

NPD Group notes that when divided by SKU, New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a Top 10 title for the month of September.

"Interestingly, the average retail price of hardware increased notably this month, driven primarily by the Xbox 360 Halo:Reach bundle and the PS3 Move bundle."

pre-orders for the upcoming Kinect peripheral are "selling out at retailers nationwide," which they see as a "sign of strong consumer demand before launch on November 4."

Some more nuggets from the various news sources reporting on NPD.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130576411

DS 403k, Wii 254k.

It looks like PS3 definitely outsold Wii.

360 almost 2:1 over Wii.

Sony would not disclose how many PlayStations it sold during the month.

Makes me and a few others wonder more if Sony was behind the numbers close off.

Also,

The 360 has passed the Wii year-to-date if the numbers we have are true:

360 - 3.209 million
WII - 3.208 million

Seems at least as big as PS3 surpassing Wii in Japan YTD a bit ago.

OK, serious question here, it's not rhetorical or anything, but I'm just wondering...

Has X360 had a YoY decrease in sales at any point? And if so have they had a large one?

If no to either of those, that would be a fairly remarkable run. But I suspect they've had at least one YoY decrease somewhere. I just can't think of when it might have been.

Also, for Halo to sell the same on ~20 million consoles as it did on around 6 million back in November 07 is frankly fairly poor. Halo has lost a lot of clout it would seem. Maybe you could even argue MS parting with Bungie will be a good thing. Maybe it had to do with the Reach subtitle rather than "Halo 4". Maybe ODST and Wars watered down the brand.

Or a bit more likely explanation is that the user base has gotten large enough now that it is highly unlikely an increase in userbase is going to lead to higher single title sales in any given month. It had to come at some point, perhaps this happens to be it. I'll even go so far as to say that I think it's unlikely any title going forward is going to have a larger single month sales number than Halo 3, COD: MW2, or Halo: Reach.

Install base is getting more and more irrelevant now for single title/single month/single console sales as install bases are getting fairly large.

Hmmm, although if a casual Kinect title hits the public sweet spot, that may have the potential, but I doubt it'll happen.

Regards,
SB

OK, serious question here, it's not rhetorical or anything, but I'm just wondering...

Has X360 had a YoY decrease in sales at any point? And if so have they had a large one?

If no to either of those, that would be a fairly remarkable run. But I suspect they've had at least one YoY decrease somewhere. I just can't think of when it might have been.

Tons. 2007 the summer was all down from 2006 till august. In 2009 oct-dec was all down from 2008. This year however has been all up from 2009. In fact April and September are the only months this year that weren't record months.

I think it's unlikely any title going forward is going to have a larger single month sales number than Halo 3, COD: MW2, or Halo: Reach.
Ild put money on that black op's will easily sell >3.3million in 2 months time.
Preorders are higher than MW2's were at the same time.
It looks like as well as GTA, halo is not the dominant force for the xbox it once was.
Yes perhaps its good that bungie arent doing the next halo game, maybe MS should go after the guys that departed from activision after MW2!

Edit: These were zed's numbers. If I'm not mistaken probably very similar to vgchartz
vgchartz had wii 50k more than ps3 for the month, in fact all 3 of the professionals had wii > ps3.

Next months looking to be a lot different (duh). Though amazon selling the wii @ $175 for a couple of days has thrown a spanner in the works.

EDIT - WRT year to year change
NPDaugB.png

The xbox is up 8 months in a row (9 if u include this month)
the ps3 is up 13months in a row (though that streak ended this month)

Ild put money on that black op's will easily sell >3.3million in 2 months time.
Preorders are higher than MW2's were at the same time.
It looks like as well as GTA, halo is not the dominant force for the xbox it once was.
Yes perhaps its good that bungie arent doing the next halo game, maybe MS should go after the guys that departed from activision after MW2!

vgchartz had wii 50k more than ps3 for the month, in fact all 3 of the professionals had wii > ps3.

Next months looking to be a lot different (duh). Though amazon selling the wii @ $175 for a couple of days has thrown a spanner in the works.

GTA was a dominant force for Xbox??

Anyways, while Reach did less than I expected, 3.3m is still hardly childs play. I also think Reach might have strong legs because it's so good.

But it just speaks to that COD is just becoming a black hole almost, imo. Destroying every other software, and suctioning a lot of their sales.

You might have been right about Wii over PS3, kudos there, but on the other hand I'm guessing your absolute numbers were about as off as vgchartz etc, so dont crow too much. Looks like you were a fair bit off on PS3 and Wii, while fairly close on 360.

Rather low sales for a month with a Halo release IMO.

At 3 releases in, you'd have to figure anyone who was buying a 360 just for Halo would have done it already. In fact, I'd argue anyone who was going to buy a 360 for Halo had already bought in by the time Halo 3 released (The >50% attach rate of that title during it's launch month was ridiculous).

Yeah, no singular games have that much of an impact this late into generation (unless they're really innovative/disruptive) to cause huge spike in console sales. Surely, Reach builds awareness around the system, but it had been doing great regardless, being #1 in July and August.

Reach might have slightly lower dynamics than Halo 3, but it's still doing amazingly well, especially when you consider that the rest of the market is significantly down YOY (Halo ate "only" 1.5M last year). Call of Duty is the real juggernaut this gen, but Halo isn't its direct competitor, games like BF,MOH or Homefront are and it appears MOH will get embarassingly obliterated by Black Ops.

The marketing budget for Reach was lower than Halo 3's so it isn't really surprising to me that Reach had a lower saturation.

First, good job zed.

Second, there are what I believe to be some skewed perceptions. Halo Reach moved 3.3 Million units and this is considered unimpressive because it matches what Halo 3 did...do we have to go through the userbase v. unit sales argument again? Did you look at the total software revenue numbers at see how much of this months $ amount is Reach?

Regarding Halo and 360 sales there seems to be an undercurrent of Halo did not cause a sales spike, if so, then please indicate what you believe caused the 360 to move 484k units given that the 360 S is now months old.

EDIT: PS3 312k

The marketing budget for Reach was lower than Halo 3's so it isn't really surprising to me that Reach had a lower saturation.
I think its mostly a matter being a "less fresh" experience now than what it was back then in the younger days of the 360.

Rarely franchises with out of the ordinary massive sales perform the same o when a sequel is released on the same console when its oldish and mature

The anticipation is usually bigger when a great franchise is released for the first time on the next console

If reach was released on the next XBOX I bet MS would have considered spending more for the marketing as then it can have the biggest impact and they care more about establishing the brand name of their new product

Back