NPD September 2010

Regarding Halo and 360 sales there seems to be an undercurrent of Halo did not cause a sales spike, if so, then please indicate what you believe caused the 360 to move 484k units given that the 360 S is now months old.

EDIT: PS3 312k

I agree it probably had some impact. At this point in time there must be a considerable amount of users also upgrading to the Slim from an existing unit, and with that going on for some time now there are simply not as many more users to sell to as consoles have been sold. Of course this doesn't just hold for the 360 but the PS3 as well to some extent - I'm on my second PS3 now (despite an effort to repair my first, which didn't last for very long).

hmm the ps3 is down year over year. I don't know if thats good news for them going into the holiday.

It was going to be. Last year, it was the first month for slim and price drop. Naturally, they were not going to beat those numbers.

Xbox 484k (Up 37% Year Over Year)
ps3 312K (Down 37% Year Over Year)
wii 254k (Down 23% Year Over Year)

looks like 360 (+Kinect) will be the new wii until the end of the generation

It was going to be. Last year, it was the first month for slim and price drop. Naturally, they were not going to beat those numbers.

This is my side-point about the 360 numbers, that they did this well without a price-drop and a new model suggests to me that Halo certainly had something to do with it.

This is my side-point about the 360 numbers, that they did this well without a price-drop and a new model suggests to me that Halo certainly had something to do with it.

Halo certainly had an effect but people like to downplay Halo left and right so nothing new there.

I was thinking that MS would drop the price after the Slim momentum had worn down a bit but looking at sales since the Slim launched, they have no reason to.

GTA was a dominant force for Xbox??
Not on the xbox but it was the dominant game last generation, halo used to be the dominant shooter on the xbox. both positions now are taken with MW + I assume we'll see in november COD.

Reading this made me hurt inside
Why?
(The ppl behind) Infinity Ward have shown they can deliver a desirable shooter (on time as well I think).
A/ theyve (likely) missed out on a lot of cash from their split with activision
B/ developing a new IP from scratch is risky
C/ going with a proven IP (halo) is gonna guarantee cash, a new company I assume is in need of this.
I can see it as a win-win situation for both sides, just a single game contract

The marketing budget for Reach was lower than Halo 3's so it isn't really surprising to me that Reach had a lower saturation.
Microsoft said it’s planning to back “Halo: Reach” with the largest marketing budget it has spent on a game, though it won’t disclose how much
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...-at-halo-reach-as-game-hits-stores-today.html

If the above numbers are correct then my ps3+wii numbers were quite a bit off.
On average my numbers were 13.65% off. last time IIRC it was only ~5%.
So getting worse :(

Of course it did
I posted this before, but u can see (green is xbox) the spike just before halos release date
amazon.png

No one mentioned there was actually a PSP title in the top10! (ok due to the grouping theres more titles in the top10) but still its a rare event

Why?
(The ppl behind) Infinity Ward have shown they can deliver a desirable shooter (on time as well I think).
A/ theyve (likely) missed out on a lot of cash from their split with activision
B/ developing a new IP from scratch is risky
C/ going with a proven IP (halo) is gonna guarantee cash, a new company I assume is in need of this.
I can see it as a win-win situation for both sides, just a single game contract

They have already formed their new studio (Respawn) and partnered with EA. Further, MGS has been staffing up their own internal Halo team (343 Industries) to handle Halo development going forward.

looks like 360 (+Kinect) will be the new wii until the end of the generation

This had nothing to do with Kinect though. It was normal hardcore strength continuing to overtake the casual market.

That's whats a bit odd about Move and Kinect (especially Kinect, as MS is investing more in it than Sony is Move), MS and Sony are going whole hog for a market just as it appears to be faltering. Of course, it wasn't faltering when they were developing those technologies...

That's why I've always thought MS will have to manage Kinect correctly. That means highly profitable Kinect (and perhaps console) hardware is a must, etc. The normal razors/blades model doesnt work in casual. But if you're raking it in on hardware anyway, as Nintendo did with Wii, it doesn't matter so much.

I was thinking that MS would drop the price after the Slim momentum had worn down a bit but looking at sales since the Slim launched, they have no reason to.

I would still like to see them be aggressive and go to 249/149. Sure doesn't look to happen though, as much as theyre selling anyway. But when you figure many 360's are earing $250 in Live Gold fees over five years on top of the hardware price, plus expensive HDD accessories, you'd certainly think the profitability would be there in spades to enable such a drop.

Oh yeah, I added it up, trying to figure MS's next shipment number which should be revealed in a couple weeks...MS sold 1.284 360's in July-Sep quarter according to NPD. So I'm looking or a shipment of at least 2.2m (because of course Europe sales etc) Still befuddled over Sony's last (two?) number which just wasn't supported by the sales, but they'll probably come back to the pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you'll find shipment numbers will roughly be
xbox360 2.5million
ps3 3.5million
wii 3million

@mrcorbo cheers I didnt know they already signed a deal with EA

So you're expecting PS3 to ship 1 million more than X360, despite being outsold heavily in USA?

Wow, Europe is sure selling 5X as many consoles as anywhere else in the world these days (and conveniently, no hard numbers for that region) :rolleyes:

If Sony doesn't ship less than MS this quarter, I'm through with Sony ship numbers.

USA=900k (known)
Japan=300k? (known)
Europe=2.3m?? (no hard numbers)

Sony ship=3.5m? On top of vastly over shipping versus sales last quarter?

So Europe now selling 2X more than Japan/USA combined? Right.

And Nintendo Europe sales slides dont show this either. Quite the opposite.

AND MS said a few weeks ago (though I cant seemto find a link through google) that after S they were outselling PS3 "across Europe"

Evilore at Neogaf gave out a few more numbers

Not bad for other M, comparatively.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23880663&postcount=1300

Hmm, is evil hinting there's a leak out?

Seems like it.

Sadly those numbers mean that NHL 11 (between 225k and 370k on both platforms) probably didn't sell a whole lot better than NHL 10 (134k to 194k on just the 360).

Games Industry: Total Consumer Spend report soon

and

Move sold 300,000 which is pretty terrible compared to numbers in europe where estimates are 1.5million.

Move sold 300,000 which is pretty terrible compared to numbers in europe where estimates are 1.5million.

1.5 million is Sony's official number whereas 300,000 is Pachter's estimates. You probably can't compare them. 1.5 million Move controller is beyond many's expectation given that it does not come with any bundled game.

We also heard stock out claims in some parts of US. I wonder what is Sony's allocation in US. My GameStop was fine initially until 2 weeks ago, where they ran out of Move also. Same for my Target. Given that Sony did not issue any warning, I supposed their supply chain is working, and this is just an initial spike. It would be more interesting to see how demand pans out over the next few months.

If they were out of stock I can't help but think it was a shipping disaster because there's like 100 of them sitting in walmart, futureshop and bestbuy here.

And about the no bundled game, there is a bundle with a game.

That Sports Champions bundle is for US. EU only comes with a demo disc.

I think there is also an EyePet bundle for US.

EDIT: Your "shipping disaester" might be created by the retailers since individual stores are probably allocated internally by the chains. I don't know if there are 100s of them in one store though.

This had nothing to do with Kinect though. It was normal hardcore strength continuing to overtake the casual market.

That's whats a bit odd about Move and Kinect (especially Kinect, as MS is investing more in it than Sony is Move), MS and Sony are going whole hog for a market just as it appears to be faltering. Of course, it wasn't faltering when they were developing those technologies...

That's why I've always thought MS will have to manage Kinect correctly. That means highly profitable Kinect (and perhaps console) hardware is a must, etc. The normal razors/blades model doesnt work in casual. But if you're raking it in on hardware anyway, as Nintendo did with Wii, it doesn't matter so much.

The wii hasn't had any big hits though. They had a strong wii sports then to wii fitt. I don't see whats big for them this year and as we see the 360 and ps3 start getting close to a wii price point and you can have an xbox 360 + kinect for $300 vs $200 for the wii and alot of people will go with the 360 bundle

I would still like to see them be aggressive and go to 249/149. Sure doesn't look to happen though, as much as theyre selling anyway. But when you figure many 360's are earing $250 in Live Gold fees over five years on top of the hardware price, plus expensive HDD accessories, you'd certainly think the profitability would be there in spades to enable such a drop.
Next year they will be at $100/$200 for just the console and $200/$300 for the bundle.

zed, adding linear regression to graphs make only sense when the graphs represent linear functions. In your graphs they only clutter the graph without adding any information.

Back