NPD October 2002

Johnny Awesome said:
I think you're analysis of MS ambitions in Europe are more than a little erroneous Wazoo. :)

Maybe I wrongly told what I meant. I think that the DC market os a natural base for the xbox (sega fans, techs fans, anti-sony, anti-Nintendo). There was no reason for this community to refuse the xbox.

The question of MS getting a part of the huge massmarket devoted to Sony is completely another problem.

KOF said:
Y'know I'm still hanging on DC. I'm buying all the leftover DC goods I haven't enjoyed previously (like Sakura Taisen) while also playing likes of Ikaruga and King of Fighters 2000. I also picked up GBA instead of another console, because for once, I just wanted to feel nostalgia. I plan on getting all previous-gen consoles before moving onto the present...seeing as I must be the only guy on the block who *still* does not own a PSX. Being in the university, I discovered I play less games than usual. (uh oh, that's not good)

Regarding digital TV tuner, I've already checked Happauge one...but where is the component input? Back in the thread, you said I could capture my Dreamcast outputs in almost VGA. Now that I've found VGA-> component box, I'm looking for the one that can capture it. Also, if I have such thing, would it work with other component supporting consoles like remaining three consoles ...even in HDTV modes like 480P?

I actually played MORE at college than I do now, heh.

KOF, what's you are talking about (capturing progressive-scan video) is prohibitively expensive. What I was talking about was a VGA grabber... we're talking about a piece of professional A/V equipment costing thousands of dollars :D

archie4oz said:
I liked JSR more than JSRF. While JSRF had better graphics, I preferred the gameplay of JSR more. Also JSR seemed more fresh, innovative and novel at the time.

(my old roommate would kill me for such heresy!)

I too thought that Jet Set Radio was better... until I tried to go back and play it again. The smoother control, faster character movement, and better level design in JSRF really put that game over the top.

The whole timed levels thing in the first game was cool at the time, but the exploration-based gameplay of Future was much more enjoyable.

I think everyone needs to relax. The GCN and XB are now one year old..it's too early to start predicting DOOM predictions. It's safe to say as long as GCN is meeting it's worldwide projections that Nintendo is fine (remember they are actually making money on each unit sold).

Having said that, It's safe to say GCN will end up 2nd worldwide and maybe a close 3rd in the US. Which ,if I'm Nintendo, is better than the other way around.

actually BOTH xbox and Gamecube have NOT met their projections. hence the price drops, and MS/Nintendo lowering their projections.

Um, the predecessor to Jet Set Radio Future was called Jet GRIND Radio... makes me wonder how many of you actually PLAYED the game. :\

Tagrineth said:
Um, the predecessor to Jet Set Radio Future was called Jet GRIND Radio... makes me wonder how many of you actually PLAYED the game. :\

The Japanese and Euro versions were called Jet Set Radio.

There was a trademark conflict or something in the US, so they rename it to Jet Grind Radio there.

Apparently for JSRF, there was no conflict, so the original name stayed.

http://spiriel.nu/jetnetradio/info.html

Originally posted by Gahiggidy @ Gaming-Age
USA
XBX 3,100,212¹
GCN 2,495,841¹
PS2 11,819,000¹

Japan
XBX 270,300²
GCN 1,999,653²
PS2 9,792,278²

Europe
XBX 700,000³
GCN 850,000³
PS2 9,000,000³

Total
XBX 4,070,512 (10.17%)
GCN 5,345,494 (13.35%)
PS2 30,611,278 (76.47%)

¹Based on October's TRST data
²Based on Media Create for 2002 data; Famitsu 2000/2001
³Based on THQ conf. call (September 31st)

I'll concede that it's possible that Gamecube is only extremely weak in the UK and still strong in continental Europe, but the UK IS 40% of the European market. France and Germany are both 20% each, with the rest making up the remaining 20%. That's been well-established on this board.

Where?

How exactly is your second figue "at best"? All the reports I've seen have said that Xbox is outselling GC on a weekly basis in the UK and Germany (which make up approx. 65% of Console sales in Europe). Even if Xbox sold a extremely low number of consoles in France and the other European countries, GC could never continue to outsell Xbox 8:5 as you have just stated.

I've seen one report for one week saying that XBox outsold GC in Germany. Also two weekly reports of it outselling GC in the U.K. That was very recently. Given that until now MS has never mentioned outselling GC in Europe, I think we can assume that until now XBox has never outsold GC in Europe.

I don't think one or two weeks in select regions very recently would really help XBox catch up overall. Because obviously since that activision report, until very recently (which is a couple of months), GC has been outselling XBox everywhere in Europe. So it seems extremely likely that the 8:5 ratio mentioned by activision would have only gotten worse by now even with XBox's recent better sales in some regions of Europe for a week or two. That's why I say that at best (for XBox) I think XBox vs GC sales in Europe will still be at a 8/5 ratio, and likely worse for XBox.

I'm not conerned with sales at all. i mean i enjoy following them and the trends but it's not my problem if Nintendo is behind in the US. It's not my problem if XB is dead in Japan. It's not my problem if people keep buying the hype of Grand Theft...er I mean PS2. I've said before there is room for 3 in the global market..and it's apperant that even with the PS2 and GBA mopping up that the "other two" consoles can do well.

Both really need to move about 20 million consoles in total to be successful. And they are both nearly half way there in thier first year of existance (by the end of the year they will).

Nintendo has done just about everything in it's power to be in 3rd place here in the US. They dont have nearly the budget for advertising and thier piss poor ads and commercials have been virtually nonexistant pre SMS. MS and Sony run ads EVERY Sunday in BB and Circuit Shitty. When Nintendo is just now starting to run consistant store promos and paper ads.

When I stand back and look at the whole situation, SHOULD'NT Xbox be in the lead in the US? I mean good gracious alive Ms has done a damn fine job *read spent billions upon billions* of promoting XB. Thier advertising allowance for XB alone is more than some 3rd world countries' total GDP. I really am dumbfounded by looking at the month to month numbers how the GCN has consistantly stayed in the mix. Sure SMs and SFA should show some effect but those games really dont cater to the casual mass buyers. You really need games that appeal to the 'easily impressionable buyer'..you know the ones that Sony has brainwashed.

I would'nt at all be surpised that this time next year we find both consoles in the same exact position. GCn 3rd in the US (but not by much imo). And the XB 3rd globally. MS really has alot riding on XB Live. And GCN really needs to stop being so secretive and needs ramp up marketing with new help. Nintendo needs to stop worrying about "secrets of thier games"..just put out the games. Everyone knows great games alone are'nt what sells consoles..the PS2 has proven that. It's clever marketing, hype and flooding the store with "more games mayun". I mean that's the line the casual buyer will tell you when explaining his PS2 purchase over XB and GCN..albeit the lil prick will probably by 2 or 3 games over this entire generation, but hell "it's about the games mayun". As he buys Stuntman and GTA:VC. If Sony's luck he'll possibly rent a game or two the rest of his life...maybe the obligatory Madden.

OOHH..I digress. The rant of a hardcore gamer that loves games so much that he sees the industry slowly sliding the way that is not neccessarily healthiest for it. Oh the sheep..the sheep. The flocks and thier wallet and thier uninformed buying power..what'll you do?..what'll you do?

1. Those numbers from Gaming-Age are wrong.

2. It's a lot more than Sega fans getting Xbox. JSRF would have sold a ton if Sega fans were the main Xbox draw.

Goldni,

Xbox isn't #1 in the US because its brand new, and the PS2 came out a year prior, alone. GC is still hanging in there because it has Nintendo, Mario, and Zelda's names on it. PS2 is a monster because it looks slick, Sony has very, very clever/stylish marketing, and top notch support (read: Xbox/GC games dont look much better because their port of PS2 games).

Back