NPD February 2011

Ms is setting them-selves to break by a healthy margin their best xbox year ever. I would like to have more informations about how much stand alone and bundled Kinect were moved, the same would be neat to for software.
It could be that Ms may not need that much if any "hardcore exclusives" this year, multi platform sales are terrific and announcing a couple of strong Kinect titles at E3 (form them and third party editors) and wait for a shit ton of money to fall in their pocke't by next christmass could be their best bet.

While Sony was reluctant to hand out the hardware data, Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter passed along the NPD data for the PS3 console: it sold 403,000 units for the month of February. That's up 12% year-over-year but it's still not as good as Xbox 360's 535,000 (27% bump) or Wii's 454,000 (14% rise). Additionally, the PlayStation Move continues to be outsold by Kinect it would seem.

"Under one-fifth of PS3 sales included bundles with Sony’s Move controller, suggesting another modest month (we have chosen not to subscribe to peripheral data). Over 2/3 of Xbox 360 sales included bundles with Microsoft’s Kinect peripheral, as Xbox 360 Kinect console bundles again outsold PS3 Move console bundles by over 5:1," commented Pachter. "We note that the top selling Kinect software titles easily outsold their Move counterparts."

Pachter also reiterated that price cuts are likely forthcoming but that for now 360 and Kinect have the momentum.

"We expect demand for the Xbox 360 to remain stronger than the other consoles due to the popularity of Kinect. We expect Wii and PS3 hardware sales to continue to decline (despite February’s up month for both) in the first part of 2011," he said. "Without further price cuts, we expect hardware sales to be down in 2011, and we think that the console manufacturers will position cuts around the E3 Expo in early June."

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/kinect-bundles-outsold-ps3-move-bundles-51-in-february/

PS3 - 403k

My thoughts:

Was it a 5 week month? Hardware sales seem to be significant across the board. Obviously great news for MS, but also good that all consoles were up on 2010.

Just Dance 2 still pulling in great numbers and it seems that Ubisoft have finally discovered a genre where a 3rd party can do as well as (and occasionally even better than) Nintendo on the Wii.

Number 5 for Dead Space 2 is pleasing, especially considering it's the 2nd month of release and up against some big hitters in the hardcore genre. I'm personally not a huge fan of the game and have kinda got bored with it (not touched it in over a week) but I think I'm in the minority. Indeed, I didn't really enjoy DS1 all that much, but bought it twice (PC and then 360) because even though it's not exactly my kind of game, it's still the kind of game that I believe should be supported.

I feel that the Bulletstorm numbers will be disappointing for Epic and EA. It was only #2 in the UK (Killzone 3 was #1) on release week with just over 50K sales, but only dropped down to #4 in week 2, so maybe it will also do ok in next months NPD. But it's clear that it's not going to be another Gears for Epic.

Killzone 3 numbers are surprising, and not in a good way. Not only is the franchise one of the biggest in the Sony stable, but it's also the first full retail FPS with integrated Move controls. With Sony boasting of shipping over a million move controllers within the first month of release in the US, there should easily be 2.5-3 times that number by now (over 4 months, including the holiday period)) and Move-specific titles haven't really charted that well. The argument has been that the hardcore have been buying Move precisely for hardcore FPS titles with great integrated Move controls... exactly the boxes that Killzone 3 ticks.

It does seem awfully strange to see the top ranked Nintendo title sitting at #10.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of Zumba. My assumption is 90% Wii with the rest split between the 360 and PS3.

February was a four week month. March will be a five week.

EDIT: On a personal note when is our next bowling or table tennis match? :)
EDIT2: For the love of everything...can we please get the Kinect Games thread unlocked...I mean it isn't like there are a lot of 360 threads on the board and even fewer Kinect gamers.

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT2: For the love of everything...can we please get the Kinect Games thread unlocked...I mean it isn't like there are a lot of 360 threads on the board and even fewer Kinect gamers.

That wasn't my call. I had requested it stay open, but got shot down. Maybe if we get enough people requesting it unlocked, they will open it again?

Tommy McClain

And at the same time you have other good shooters like KZ3 and Bulletstorm which end up selling 1/20th(!) of that. The (US) market is really fucked up.

Yeah, everyone on this highway is driving in the wrong direction! They're apparently all insane.
Oh wait... what?

Seriously, when will we stop acting like every customer is stupid and we mighty few are the only people who know what's right? Maybe it'd be more productive to discuss why a shooter about black operations sells that much better than the other two games with sci fi settings and space marines / nazis.

There's a kinect thread? :eek:

Not sure if serious, but just in case, he's talking about this one. Locked because it would theoretically be better for each game to have its own thread. As of yet, most of the games are so simple though, that no one of them really merit that much discussion. OTOH, I could see how a catch-all thread could cause moderation issues.

I would play Kinect with you except you probably want to come on at some ridiculous hour! :(

Cheers :)

EDIT: On a personal note when is our next bowling or table tennis match? :).

Yup, the bowling was fun. Also very, very surprised at the quality of voice chat over Kinect.

Table Tennis sounds like a great idea, though I'm not sure a game like that would survive the lag over 2 continents. Maybe worth a try though.

Yeah, everyone on this highway is driving in the wrong direction! They're apparently all insane.
Oh wait... what?

Seriously, when will we stop acting like every customer is stupid and we mighty few are the only people who know what's right? Maybe it'd be more productive to discuss why a shooter about black operations sells that much better than the other two games with sci fi settings and space marines / nazis.

I never said that anyone is stupid ...
And it's not that it sells only much better than " the other two games with sci fi settings and space marines / nazis.". It sells much better then anything else regardless of scenario, even the shooters in the same scenario (modern warfare) sell much worse. And it can't be explained with arguments regarding the products quality. BO just became a self-runner, the game everyone has to have. And in my opinion it's sad for all the other devolopers out there who managed to make a comparable product and are nowhere their sales.

Oh wait... what?

Agreed, assuming that there's something wrong with a group of consumers because they don't share your tastes when that group represents a majority opinion is either ego-maniacal or delusional.

TBH, I doubt setting has much to do with it. It's some combination of insight into what appeals to your customers, design, execution, marketing, and the success of the prior iterations providing the foundation for even greater success. The proportion that each of those contributed is a matter of opinion.

Really really strong sales for everybody.

Wonder why the spike?

I remember a big spike last February, which I attributed to income tax returns, but this pales even it.

These are PS2 in it's heyday numbers, for all three consoles!

Again I have to wonder why these corporations would look at next gen with such strong sales. I see no real reason. Even Wii seems ok really, except in Japan.

We'll see how much numbers weaken in upcoming spring non tax return months.

Some tidbits.

If the xbox 360 sells within 160k units (It could be 160k less) of the wii in march it will be the first full 12month period where the 360 has been ahead. If the 360 sells 414k or more they will pass 7 million for a one year period for the first time as well.

At its peak the Wii was sold nearly 11 million in a 12 month period, it is currently under 7 million (just ahead of the 360).

Peak 12 month US sales figures
Wii 10.9 million (Feb 09)
360 6.9 million (current)
PS3 4.9 million (through aug 2010)

Really really strong sales for everybody.

Wonder why the spike?

I remember a big spike last February, which I attributed to income tax returns, but this pales even it.

These are PS2 in it's heyday numbers, for all three consoles!

Again I have to wonder why these corporations would look at next gen with such strong sales. I see no real reason. Even Wii seems ok really, except in Japan.

We'll see how much numbers weaken in upcoming spring non tax return months.

I'm not sure this is being emphasized enough to me these are phenomenal hardware sales; no qualifiers needed but when you add recession + the hardware prices it paints an even brighter picture...for hardware. For software, we [the industry] need to do better, with Microsoft in a powerful position in the US I believe some marketing and advertising dollars and maybe some hush money (towards publishers) should be spent on something akin to a "New $49.99 price! (39.99 Kinect)" and eschew a hardware price drop (maybe). I'm not one for awaiting sales stagnation or precipitously decline before making another bold move. If the hit to revenue and/or profit is drastic but hardware price reduction is not then I would want to take the first mover position ahead of any Nintendo or Sony cuts which may seem counter-intuitive given how strong sales are HW and SW but either of those cuts pre-slim YoY and I think Microsoft could have continued YoY growth.

[I'm sure I'm leaving out a lot as this was a serious stream of consciousness post]

That wasn't my call. I had requested it stay open, but got shot down. Maybe if we get enough people requesting it unlocked, they will open it again?

Tommy McClain

Why was it closed? Leave it open and leave the comparisons in the generic motion control thread.

Why was it closed?
Because it makes sense to how one thread for each game so discussion doesn't get messy. We don't have "racing games" and chuck all GT and Forza and NFS talk in there as it'd get muddled. We don't have "sports games" and mix it up. That doesn't make sense. If people want to talk about a game, it makes sense for that game to have its place of discussion. I don't understand why everyone wants to just mix all the discussion into one place, although suggestions are there's so little to talk about at the moment it's just a light topic that's more about the Kinect experience at the moment.

I've reopened it. Go knock yourselves out. :D

yes surprising strong sales, ever by the worse selling ps3. 402k!
With numbers like this theres no need for the 3 companies to come out with next gen consoles for quite a while or even pricecuts just yet.

Back