NPD October 2002

You think that SMS and a memory card 59 for $179 US is better than JSRF/Sega GT for $199 US?? Plus, there was the DVD rebate going on for a month too.

In Canadian dollars, you end up saving close to $175 with the Xbox (at no extra charge), vs close to $100 with the GameCube (with a $50 premium on the bundle).

I can't see how anyone could think that the GC was a better deal.

Yeah. It's especially ridiculous when you consider the fact that JSRF is a better game than SMS anyway. Xbox is by far the better deal.

The long term effect of the bundle = zero. Why? Because people will always buy about the same amount of games over the life of the console. PSX piracy proves the point. Sony didn't care about the piracy as long as people bought the system and bought their 10 games for it, which they did.

The reason why no Xbox exclusives are in the top 10 is simple - userbase. News flash - there are only 2 console exclusives in the top 10 - period. GTA3 and Kingdom Hearts. BLiNX and Shenmue 2 will probably still sell 250,000 copies though, which is good enough for sequels.

Teasy is right about my numbers though, the Xbox is only ahead of the Gamecube by 800k units in the west. The UK is 40% of the European market, so if the Gamecube has sold 230,000 in the UK then it's only at roughly 575k in Europe, so it's possible that the Xbox is ahead by 1 million units in the West.

The long term effect of the bundle = zero.

I wouldn't assume that. Bundles will certainly have a long term impact. When is the biggest buying season for consoles(we all know the answer) and how many people here shop by their budget(I know I sure as hell do)? The value end of the equation is going to help with installed base, no doubt about that. The Box and Cube being a better deal will take potential PS2 sales away. Those dedicated to getting a PS2 still will, those on the fence will pick up the better value which currently is the Box or the Cube depending on gaming tastes and budget(the two games with the Box is certainly the better deal, but Mario is a significantly larger franchise then SGT2K2 and JSRF combined not to mention it is $20 less expensive).

A factor on the software side, expect Mario and SGT2K2(JSRF is already invisible) to completely vanish from all software sales charts and become one of the fastest moving games this holiday season(likely easily eclipsing all the current top ten outside of GTAVC). Mario, SGT2K2 and JSRF will move another ~million units by the end of the year in the bundle deals(WM has apparently dicontinued the non bundle Cubes, and MS is only selling bundles now).

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the numbers for this month(particularly hardware), there was a dock lock out that certainly had an impact on the supply side(every local location near me was sold out for ~a week of everything except PS2s). Next month we will see a x00% spike for all consoles, that(and December) will be where we see the real interesting numbers.

Yeah. It's especially ridiculous when you consider the fact that JSRF is a better game than SMS anyway. Xbox is by far the better deal.

In your opinion maybe, but not many people would agree with you, infact barely anyone would.

Teasy is right about my numbers though, the Xbox is only ahead of the Gamecube by 800k units in the west. The UK is 40% of the European market, so if the Gamecube has sold 230,000 in the UK then it's only at roughly 575k in Europe, so it's possible that the Xbox is ahead by 1 million units in the West.

Lets get this straight now. GameCube sells 400,000 on launch (75,000 of those in the U.K). Then, in the next 6 months, it goes on to sell a futher 155,000 consoles in the U.K and only 25,000 in the entire of the rest of Europe over that 6 months? (400k+155k+20k=575k). Now common, is that likely?

Your guessing on how much of the European market the U.K represents. Where does this 40% number come from?

Also as I already said GameCube sold 75,000 of its 400,000 launch sales in the U.K, which makes the U.K only 19% of GameCube's European market. So 230,000 in the U.K would mean 1.2 million in Europe.

This is backed up by Activisions comments a couple of months back, that in Europe sales looked like this:

GameCube = 800,000
XBox = 500,000

Given that I think at best (for XBox) sales might currently be:

GameCube = 1.2 million
XBox = 750,000

Which would put XBox ahead by 350,000 in the west and GameCube ahead by just over 2 million worldwide.

I'll concede that it's possible that Gamecube is only extremely weak in the UK and still strong in continental Europe, but the UK IS 40% of the European market. France and Germany are both 20% each, with the rest making up the remaining 20%. That's been well-established on this board.

It doesn't change the fact that the Cube is behind in the West and not looking to catch up anytime soon.

Ben, my comments about the bundles were only concerning the free games expectation issue, and the impact of these on lowering software sales. I still don't think it will affect the amount of games these bundle owners buy over the long term. I agree with you that it will hurt PS2 sales, but I'm sure that Sony will do a bundle of their own once the effect of Vice City wears off, which might not be for a while. :)

then Nintendo will simply strike a deal and bundle Sonic Mega Collection and Luigi's Mansion.

Well, Nintendo already has much better bundle, actually. I don't know if it's helping much, though.

You think that SMS and a memory card 59 for $179 US is better than JSRF/Sega GT for $199 US?? Plus, there was the DVD rebate going on for a month too.

As you you can see, I was making a comment about his proposed GC bundle (Sonic Collection and Luigi) vs the existing GC bundle (Mario + MC). I was not comparing the GC vs Xbox bundle.

In Canadian dollars, you end up saving close to $1750
:eek: Awesome is Xbox :eek:

;)

Yeah. It's especially ridiculous when you consider the fact that JSRF is a better game than SMS anyway.
Well, if you say so. Sales and reviews disagree, however. Just to clarify, I also think JSRF is a better game, but it's obvious that we are not in the majority.

Oh, and I wouldn't be putting much faith in dock lockout as being too influental in these numbers. For example, I could get any console any time of this month, in any store where I live, but I don't put much faith in anecdotal evidences like that anyways.

Marc,

My bad, your post was the first on page 2, and thus I couldn't follow the conversation.

Again, I find it funny that MS is somewhat ignoring Scandanavia, considering how frighteningly (broadband) connected they are.

SGT2K2 and JSRF will move another ~million units by the end of the year in the bundle deals
I really don't think games that come free with a console - as in, no extra $ added to the console price - can ever count as having sold 1 million.

Sega GT and JSRF are not being sold, they are being given away for free. so they will stay at whatever they are on now!

I really don't think games that come free with a console - as in, no extra $ added to the console price - can ever count as having sold 1 million.

Sega GT and JSRF are not being sold, they are being given away for free. so they will stay at whatever they are on now!

Pack-ins have always counted as sales in the console industry. How do you think SMB got to 40Million units sold when it was packed in with almost every NES? :)

Edit

Johnny-

I agree with you that it will hurt PS2 sales, but I'm sure that Sony will do a bundle of their own once the effect of Vice City wears off, which might not be for a while.

I meant to mention that and forgot about it. You know how you have been talking about Mario's impact on the Cube's sales? GTA:Vice is out and Sony doesn't even budge a percentage point(matched last months sales). That is clearly the most hyped title of this generation, and it doesn't even register a slight blip(where Mario did)? I bring it up as more of a side note then anything, the big sales push for the major titles will be November and December, whether they be XBox, PS2 or Cube. That is when the major impact of the library(including individual system sellers) of titles will be felt.

There's also a Platinum GCN w/Metroid Prime bundle. I'm not sure about pricing or if it includes a MC59 or not, though..

Ozymandis said:
<-

Here's another person who agrees that JSRF is a better game than Mario Sunshine 8)

<- Me three o_O...but I really want both games...that and RE0..and...

Still, I have some patience left to wait...until Sonic Adventure3 or Shen Mue3 gets announced. :\

How was your gaming life this year so far, Ozy? :D

(OT : Could you give me a link to the digital TV tuner you're talking about a while back?)

KOF said:

Still, I have some patience left to wait...until Sonic Adventure3 or Shen Mue3 gets announced. :\

(OT : Could you give me a link to the digital TV tuner you're talking about a while back?)

This year has been a little up-and-down. PC gaming is pretty much dead for me, with the exceptions of Neverwinter Nights and Warcraft 3, but console gaming has been pretty good. A few disappointments, like Mario Sunshine and Kingdom Hearts (a little bit); and Xbox lineup post-Smilebit, but I have more games to play than I have time to play them :D

Just bought Phantom Crash, Shinobi, and Resident Evil Zero, and now Metroid Prime and possibly even Steel Battalion next week... yeah, it's been great. How about you? What've you been playing?

Digital TV tuner? Hmmm. You mean for HDTV? Hauppauge makes them, you should check their site:

http://www.hauppauge.com/html/products.htm#digital

Ozymandis said:
KOF said:

This year has been a little up-and-down. PC gaming is pretty much dead for me, with the exceptions of Neverwinter Nights and Warcraft 3, but console gaming has been pretty good. A few disappointments, like Mario Sunshine and Kingdom Hearts (a little bit); and Xbox lineup post-Smilebit, but I have more games to play than I have time to play them :D

Just bought Phantom Crash, Shinobi, and Resident Evil Zero, and now Metroid Prime and possibly even Steel Battalion next week... yeah, it's been great. How about you? What've you been playing?

Digital TV tuner? Hmmm. You mean for HDTV? Hauppauge makes them, you should check their site:

http://www.hauppauge.com/html/products.htm#digital

Y'know I'm still hanging on DC. I'm buying all the leftover DC goods I haven't enjoyed previously (like Sakura Taisen) while also playing likes of Ikaruga and King of Fighters 2000. I also picked up GBA instead of another console, because for once, I just wanted to feel nostalgia. I plan on getting all previous-gen consoles before moving onto the present...seeing as I must be the only guy on the block who *still* does not own a PSX. Being in the university, I discovered I play less games than usual. (uh oh, that's not good)

Regarding digital TV tuner, I've already checked Happauge one...but where is the component input? Back in the thread, you said I could capture my Dreamcast outputs in almost VGA. Now that I've found VGA-> component box, I'm looking for the one that can capture it. Also, if I have such thing, would it work with other component supporting consoles like remaining three consoles ...even in HDTV modes like 480P?

Ozymandis said:
<-

Here's another person who agrees that JSRF is a better game than Mario Sunshine 8)

good for you. I can not tell which is the better. I can only compare SMS to JSR on DC, which I did not finished. I heard JSRF was much better graphically than the previous one, but lighter on gameplay and easier with regard to tricks and cops reaction. Based on that I would say that SMS could be better than JSRF unless the changes made JSRF a better game.

I liked JSR more than JSRF. While JSRF had better graphics, I preferred the gameplay of JSR more. Also JSR seemed more fresh, innovative and novel at the time.

(my old roommate would kill me for such heresy!)

JSRF is not as good as JSR, and JSR is not that great to begin with. There is so much you can do with JSR, but JSRF is not the right direction.

Teasy said:
This is backed up by Activisions comments a couple of months back, that in Europe sales looked like this:

GameCube = 800,000
XBox = 500,000

Given that I think at best (for XBox) sales might currently be:

GameCube = 1.2 million
XBox = 750,000

Which would put XBox ahead by 350,000 in the west and GameCube ahead by just over 2 million worldwide.

How exactly is your second figue "at best"? All the reports I've seen have said that Xbox is outselling GC on a weekly basis in the UK and Germany (which make up approx. 65% of Console sales in Europe). Even if Xbox sold a extremely low number of consoles in France and the other European countries, GC could never continue to outsell Xbox 8:5 as you have just stated.

Eminem said:
How exactly is your second figue "at best"? All the reports I've seen have said that Xbox is outselling GC on a weekly basis in the UK and Germany (which make up approx. 65% of Console sales in Europe).

Xbox has sold 3k more consoles in the UK and in germany they are on par. Xbox is selling more at the current time due to the bundles, but "more" does not mean "much more".

Nintendo has just started the GC christmas campaign. We'll see how it turns.

Even if Xbox sold a extremely low number of consoles in France and the other European countries, GC could never continue to outsell Xbox 8:5 as you have just stated.

right. xbox seems to finally reach its market. There is no reason they sell less than the DC; considering they are targeting IMO the same market as the DC tried and Sega sold 1.5M in europe.

Back