NPD November 2005

see colon said:
MSRP for the DS is 129.99 but many retailers are having sales for 99.99. kind of a wierd time to do that

What!? It's christmas season! You know, the holiday that all about shopping and spending money for no apparent reason. ;)

see colon said:
MSRP for the DS is 129.99 but many retailers are having sales for 99.99. kind of a wierd time to do that, since the mario kart bundle and (if they have any left) nintendogs bundle are out as well for 149.99.

Many retailers? Like who? There was a Target Catalog misprint, but none of the other major retailers have dropped their $129.99 price in the USA afaik.

Even in Taiwan it's $130 (a friend is bringing one in for me in the next few days).

see colon said:
not to add fuel to this fire... but my local ElBo told me that corperate is making them push PSPs like mad. they're aggressively pushing units and tracking sales, and having some extra people on this weekend for "super PSP saturday" or something. the xtra people would be there to demo PSPs to customers.

i'm not sure this means anything, but it's kind of strange for hardware that's been out for 8-9months already. and it sold pretty well in my area, too.

Cool ! I always thought PSP should be Sony's main thrust this Christmas since it's well-stocked, relatively new and the flagship PS2 is over-shadowed by talks of PS3.

I would't be surprised if Sony offers reseller rebates if they meet certain sales target.

Last edited by a moderator:
see colon said:
not to add fuel to this fire... but my local ElBo told me that corperate is making them push PSPs like mad. they're aggressively pushing units and tracking sales, and having some extra people on this weekend for "super PSP saturday" or something. the xtra people would be there to demo PSPs to customers.

i'm not sure this means anything, but it's kind of strange for hardware that's been out for 8-9months already. and it sold pretty well in my area, too.

Great. I'm glad to hear companies pushing for sales on the PSP.

Ty said:
Many retailers? Like who? There was a Target Catalog misprint, but none of the other major retailers have dropped their $129.99 price in the USA afaik.

Even in Taiwan it's $130 (a friend is bringing one in for me in the next few days).
Well, if you find a Target catalog you can still get the $99 deal at target till Dec. 12. I printed out a screen capture and got the deal price matched @ Circuit City for $96.99($104 after tax). I hear Best buy is also price matching the target deal.

Japan

DS 176,958
PSP 92,121
PS2 32,042
GBM 7,911
GBASP 6,797
GC 6,494
GBA 386
Xbox 149

North America

Game Boy Advance 892,438
GameCube 278,284
Nintendo DS 381,619
PlayStation 2 546,096
PlayStation Portable 359,772
Xbox 191,320
Xbox 360 332,121

The third pillar dominates Japan, while the second pillar dominates North America. :D The first pillar needs improvement though (the Revolution may fix that). :smile:

BlackNMild2k1 said:
Well, if you find a Target catalog you can still get the $99 deal at target till Dec. 12. I printed out a screen capture and got the deal price matched @ Circuit City for $96.99($104 after tax). I hear Best buy is also price matching the target deal.

Yea but that's not the normal price. The catalog price was a misprint that even Target B&M stores may not honor (I've tried). So really the actual price is still $129.99 unless the others care to tell us where it's going for $99.99.

Ty said:
Yea but that's not the normal price. The catalog price was a misprint that even Target B&M stores may not honor (I've tried). So really the actual price is still $129.99 unless the others care to tell us where it's going for $99.99.
I know that it isn't the normal price, but the Target misprint is the only place I've seen that $99 price.

And supposeddly to have Target honor the misprint, you need an actual copy of the catalog. If the target clerk gives you shit for it it Target has a 1-800 # that you can call that will give them the ok to honor that price.

I'll try and find that # when I get home. I think its on PGC forums somewhere.

DS for $99 @ Target

Image of the catalog showing the DS at $99.99

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/154/ds1ca.png

Target's response and honors it:

Thanks for your e-mail about The Nintenedo Dual Screen in the 2005 Holiday Catalog. The ad is a misprint, as the price in the system should be $129.99. However, Target is honoring the ad price of $99.99 if you are able to bring in a copy of the catalog. If you have any trouble at the store, have them call us at (800) 440-0680 and we will be able to assist you then. Keep in mind the catalog price expires on December 12th, 2005.
We always welcome your questions, so if we can assist you in the future, please contact our Target Guest Relations team at (800) 440-0680. You can also speak with a team member at the Guest Services Desk at your local Target store, or visit us on Target.com. Either way, we’re here to help!
Thanks for shopping with us. I hope we’ll see you again soon at Target.

Hope that helps :)

Yea, thanks for all of this but I've already tried this to no avail. Even others from joystiq meet with limited success.

Readykilowatt said:
Japan

DS 176,958
PSP 92,121
PS2 32,042
GBM 7,911
GBASP 6,797
GC 6,494
GBA 386
Xbox 149

North America

Game Boy Advance 892,438
GameCube 278,284
Nintendo DS 381,619
PlayStation 2 546,096
PlayStation Portable 359,772
Xbox 191,320
Xbox 360 332,121

The third pillar dominates Japan, while the second pillar dominates North America. :D The first pillar needs improvement though (the Revolution may fix that). :smile:

Nice numbers for handhelds if you ask me. Looks like people are waiting for the next-gen systems in Japan.

mckmas8808 said:
Nice numbers for handhelds if you ask me. Looks like people are waiting for the next-gen systems in Japan.

Well handhelds have sold really well in Japan, but consoles are not doing that bad (well actually PS2 is doing fine, and the others haven't done well in a long time), those are weekly numbers if I'm not mistaken.

Dr Evil said:
Well handhelds have sold really well in Japan, but consoles are not doing that bad (well actually PS2 is doing fine, and the others haven't done well in a long time), those are weekly numbers if I'm not mistaken.

Yep that's weekly numbers for you.

LunchBox said:
Have they updated the numbers yet?

The best I came across was:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=1400531

Microsoft sold 62,135 machines over the weekend, or just 39 percent of the 159,000 consoles it is estimated to have shipped to stores, according to data from market researcher Enterbrain Inc.

The figures indicate a slower start than the original Xbox, which failed in Japan. The first Xbox sold about 123,000 units in the first three days of its launch in 2002, according to Tokyo-based Enterbrain

Perhaps I shouldn't have bought so much MS stock.... :(

Edit - whoops, credit goes to Deepak for beating me by a couple of hours!

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=650192&postcount=226

Ty said:
The best I came across was:

Err wrong thread? ;)

We're all about US numbers up here. The NPD numbers are supposed to be re-issued today at the end of trading. It is uncertain however if we will be privvy to them this time. The usual source of NPD information has been pressured from his superiors not to leak information any more. It's a real shame because he's been at it for a long time now without problems. There are potentially others who can supply the information, but we may end up having to rely on *gulp* gaming journalism websites for the information.

Mmmkay said:
Err wrong thread? ;)

We're all about US numbers up here. The NPD numbers are supposed to be re-issued today at the end of trading. It is uncertain however if we will be privvy to them this time. The usual source of NPD information has been pressured from his superiors not to leak information any more. It's a real shame because he's been at it for a long time now without problems. There are potentially others who can supply the information, but we may end up having to rely on *gulp* gaming journalism websites for the information.

I've always wondered about those leaks... I'm surprised they were tolerated for so long honestly. Unfortunately relying on gaming journalism sites is a totally bogus option. Ah well...

Mmmkay said:
Err wrong thread? ;)

We're all about US numbers up here. The NPD numbers are supposed to be re-issued today at the end of trading. It is uncertain however if we will be privvy to them this time.

Sorry about that...someone else posted #s from Japan as well so I thought the thread had moved to simply a general sales slant.

Here are the corrected numbers

Xbox 360 = 326,000
PS2 = 531,000
Xbox = 197,000
GCN = 272,000
GBA = 690,000 (approx)
DS = 370,000 (approx)

Xbox 360 software sales = 1.3 million units, Tie ratio of almost 4:1.

Overall software sales are down 18% over November 2004. Console software sales are down 33%, even with the Xbox 360 sales contribution.

Hardware sales are down 44% over last year.

November Top 25 Software Sales

US Top 25 Videogame Titles
Rank Title Publisher

Rank Title Publisher
1 XBX STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT II LucasArts
2 PS2 STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT II LucasArts
3 360 CALL OF DUTY 2 Activision
4 PS2 MADDEN NFL 06 Electronic Arts
5 PS2 WWE SMACKDOWN VS RAW 2 THQ
6 360 MADDEN NFL 06 Electronic Arts
7 PSP GTA: LIBERTY CITY STORIES Take 2 Interactive
8 PS2 TONY HAWK AMERICAN WASTELAND Activision