Nokia's Present & Future

The design is a little odd. Maybe it'll grow on my, but my initial reaction to the phone design is that it's not very nice. Not quite ugly, but getting there.

This is just a question: Why would any manufacture spend time creating drivers for WP8 when they could put their available resources on Android/Linux drivers?

This thread is getting a bit fan boi-ish... Anyway wp whilst not the finished article, offers a different UI than apple iPhone.. Its also cheaper.
HTC one is a beautifull bit of kit.. Its also expensive and not without its criticism ( blink feed, camera capability in daylight,)
Galaxy s4 is also expensive, cheap looking device which looks near identical to its predecessor, it also suffers in poor lighting conditions compared to its competitors, it also lags it certain scenarios through the UI despite being the most power full phone ever made.

I handled a lumia 920 the other day and liked it apart from the bulk, lumia 925 looks like a competitive product from where I am.

This is just a question: Why would any manufacture spend time creating drivers for WP8 when they could put their available resources on Android/Linux drivers?

All current Windows Phone chipsets have had their drivers written by Microsoft itself (with help from Qualcomm). In other words, no manufacturer has really spend time to create drivers for WP.

One thing though. There shouldn't be too much difference in the drivers for Windows RT and Windows Phone. Something that might help a bit in the future.

On what? With this low sales on WP8 it might be more profitable for them to be faster to market with components that Android/Linux support.

Yea it may be more profitable to go with android, but that doesn't mean it's not worthwhile writing drivers for windows phone.

Yea it may be more profitable to go with android, but that doesn't mean it's not worthwhile writing drivers for windows phone.

If you have infinite resources that is very true. But if the choice is between writing WP8 drivers and being later to market with your Android/Linux offerings it seems like most vendors choose not to make WP8 drivers.

finally i got a hands on with a Windows Phone 8 for a bit long duration. (Lumia 620)

1. I can't make it freeze, crash, or stutter.
2. The animation looks not as smooth as jelly bean android
3. Its hard to navigate the app list (very long)
4. hard to see info in a glance from the home screen (live tiles)
5. the music player are weird. Manually copy-ed music files fails to load the embedded album picture. Works find if synced.

Just chiming in again on Android lag. I recently picked up a Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet (no phone radios version) and it does, indeed, lag a fair bit at times as eastmen indicated with his Note II. Seems Samsung and Google need to take some lessons from the CyanogenMod 10.1 team as CM is miles smoother on the same hardware. Sure hope to see an official CM10 for the Note 8 soon, but, as it's an Exynos CPU, it will likely be a while :(

Sounds as though the issue is with probably down to Samsung's TouchWiz UI? Steve Kondik was less than flattering about it the other month as I recall.

Sounds as though the issue is with probably down to Samsung's TouchWiz UI? Steve Kondik was less than flattering about it the other month as I recall.

TouchWiz features are pretty impressive, lag really is a huge issue now..reminds me of htc sense 3.5 back in the day :)

On a brighter nokia related note (no pun intended ;) )
http://m.gsmarena.com/alleged_photos_of_metalclad_nokia_eos_body_leak_out-news-6222.php

Elop...come round and empty my pockets already...that is once appealing peice of hardware if legit.

yeah, if those EOS are real, and will be released at reasonable price. I think it will attract people that want good phone and camera but dont want to bring both and keep fogetting to bring their DSLR.

at least i will be attracted :D

lumia prices structure in my country, new lumia always have the same price as old lumia when launched 1st time. Every time new lumia released, the old lumia discounted 100 dolla.

Love the lifehacker article on which smartphone to get for non techies... WP for those who just want phone plus email and no apps. Hmmm. Doesn't sell me on it.

Still, I seriously considered an 808 with av dead os so let's see what this new camera can do.

So MS and Nokia were in talks for an acquisition.

MS walked away because it didn't like the asking price or the low market share ...

Well, Elop is still working his magic.

Back