Nokia's Present & Future

They currently have no plans, until they come out with them.

Maybe when they unveil it, they'll actually have product ready to purchase.

Nokia sold...

(drums)

330 000 Lumia phones in the United States.
Three Hundred and Thirty Thousand Units. 0.3% of the U.S.' total marketshare during Q2 2012.

This is not Lumia 900 or Lumia 710, this is all Nokia WP7 smartphones combined.
And this was before the announcement that WP7 devices won't upgrade to WP8.

Yeah, it was totally worth it to go into the U.S. head on, while disregarding pretty much everything else.
Nokia's Q3 2012 numbers are going to be hilarious.

That was with advertising, push by AT&T, all kinds of rebates and viral marketing on the web to build up buzz for WP.

Omfg that's so much worse than even I expected...but don't worry, they practically own the Chinese smartphone market...lol yeah right. Bye bye Elop.

Bye bye Elop.

Elop?
That's not Elop, that's the whole friggin' board.

Forget the board, it's the investors themselves who have allowed this for over a year.
Most of them are either really dumb and/or ignorant, or the fall of Nokia is right now in their best interest.

I find it really hard to believe the investors decided to fall for the idea that this project would work from the start.
Every move from the BoD seems to have been meticulously engineered to burn the company as fast as possible: burning platforms memo, slashing the N9's worldwide availability despite its reviews, killing the N950 despite being in production, alienating all Qt developers, blowing up all the cash in marketing for WP7, etc etc.

There's just no way that an informed and intelligent person would've seen all this as honest measures for trying to improve the company's condition.

So how long do you guys think Nokia can last at this rate? 12 months? 18 months?

It could be, if the decline was linear, which is not. They have already begun selling the company bit by bit, so it's already "not lasting".

They may already be running out of cash to produce and market their Windows Phone 8 devices, which is nothing short of dramatic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nokia sold...

(drums)

330 000 Lumia phones in the United States.
Three Hundred and Thirty Thousand Units. 0.3% of the U.S.' total marketshare during Q2 2012.

This is not Lumia 900 or Lumia 710, this is all Nokia WP7 smartphones combined.
And this was before the announcement that WP7 devices won't upgrade to WP8.

Yeah, it was totally worth it to go into the U.S. head on, while disregarding pretty much everything else.
Nokia's Q3 2012 numbers are going to be hilarious.

Market share in the USA wasn't good to begin with and was on a down ward spiral before they entered the deal with ms . in feb of 2011 it sat at just 4% of the market in the usa.

http://www.investmentu.com/2011/February/future-of-nokia-looks-bleak.html

The sales of the lumia line are not good at all , hoppefully windows phone 8 reverses that trend.

But it doesn't matter, see. Cause WP7 was never meant to be anything but a stopgap measure anyway. This was all planned to go down like this. My local Microsoft Jehovas have all subscribed to this new party line already, haven't yours?

I think even you can agree that your source isn't probably the most reliable? The official line from the Nokia about the sales in United States has been "exceeded expectations in markets including the United States." So either their expectations were really low or the math done by Asymco doesn't match up.

They also made a BS claim to have over taken Apple in China which would have required selling some obscenely impossible number of smartphones. If Nokia had done well they would give numbers as companies that are succeeding always do.

Market share in the USA wasn't good to begin with and was on a down ward spiral before they entered the deal with ms . in feb of 2011 it sat at just 4% of the market in the usa.

http://www.investmentu.com/2011/February/future-of-nokia-looks-bleak.html

The sales of the lumia line are not good at all , hoppefully windows phone 8 reverses that trend.

You mean Symbian's marketshare was 13 times better than the Lumias?
wow...

I think even you can agree that your source isn't probably the most reliable? The official line from the Nokia about the sales in United States has been "exceeded expectations in markets including the United States." So either their expectations were really low or the math done by Asymco doesn't match up.

There's a lawsuit filed by some Nokia investors against Elop and the board, on the grounds that they've been lying about expected and actual results.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/microsoft_news/240002635

Microsoft is explicitly saying they won't be making first-party phones as they've done with tablets. At least that's one less thing Nokia has to worry about.

That could be true. But look what Google did with their Nexus 7 tablet. It is a tablet made by Asus but marketed by Google. Microsoft could choose to pursue that same strategy if it wanted to when building smartphones. After all, it would be quite odd for Microsoft to market a line of tablet computers without marketing any smartphones, considering that they do want to compete against Apple, Google, etc. in these market segments.

That could be true. But look what Google did with their Nexus 7 tablet. It is a tablet made by Asus but marketed by Google. Microsoft could choose to pursue that same strategy if it wanted to when building smartphones. After all, it would be quite odd for Microsoft to market a line of tablet computers without marketing any smartphones, considering that they do want to compete against Apple, Google, etc. in these market segments.

Nokia would be fine for a signiture MS phone . I don't know why MS would strike out on their own. The lumia line wasn't a great line of phones and was highly praised for the hardware.

Windows 8 plus high end dual core phones + pureview cameras would be a good platform this fall.

This is true, but Nokia has a somewhat tarnished reputation right now with respect to smart phones, so I'm not sure that it would be a good idea for Microsoft to leap into the super phone market by marketing a Windows on ARM phone built by Nokia. Microsoft would be better off using Asustek or almost anyone else other than Nokia. The only cellular phone brand that is as tarnished as Nokia is RIM. Just ask anyone else who has invested in either of those two companies over the last three years how that investment has turned out.

This is true, but Nokia has a somewhat tarnished reputation right now with respect to smart phones, so I'm not sure that it would be a good idea for Microsoft to leap into the super phone market by marketing a Windows on ARM phone built by Nokia. Microsoft would be better off using Asustek or almost anyone else other than Nokia. The only cellular phone brand that is as tarnished as Nokia is RIM. Just ask anyone else who has invested in either of those two companies over the last three years how that investment has turned out.

What do you mean with "tarnished"?

Lumia's problems with carriers come from the fact that Microsoft bought Skype and announced that WP7 devices won't upgrade to WP8. People who bought Lumias won't be angry with Nokia because the company has solved all the hardware/software problems pretty well (from a customer point of view).

Anything with a Microsoft O.S. will have to deal with carrier hostility, be it from Nokia, Asus, Samsung or whatever.

Plus, I'm sure Microsoft would rather have a flagship with a Pureview module than anything else.
Heck, even I could be willing to give them a chance for a Pureview WP8 device, if rumours of mass storage mode come true.

Let's wait for Thursday's announcement from Nokia before we go too far in prognosticating their future. I seriously doubt they'll give any hard numbers on unit sales, but the cash burn rate will be interesting...I expect losses well over 1 billion...

Back