Nokia's Present & Future

He last said that publicly in April of 2012. Two months is apparently a long time...long enough to change your mind on multiple cores and long enough to obsolete your flagshit product.

GSMArena just put up their low-light tests of the 808 Pureview.
While it does fall short of larger senser DLSR cameras (as predicted), it's above digicam levels when pixel downsampling is used.
Taking 38MPixel shots, the per-pixel quality seems to be a bit better than the ones from Galaxy S3 @ 8MPixel ("disneyland" iphone-like oversaturation in GS3's notwithstanding).

And look at that video, damn that thing is good with videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gauPbczz4BA&feature=player_embedded

Microsoft had better allow using discrete imaging chips in WP8. No SoC to date seems to cope with +30MPx.

Fantastic quality, really looking forward to the first showings.
Let's hope they can get it into a phone trays not like a brick...9mm is the maximum for me now with a 2000mah battery.

If they can pull that off and do something with those sharp angular corners of that polycarbonate casing then I'm sold :)

Fantastic quality, really looking forward to the first showings.
Let's hope they can get it into a phone trays not like a brick...9mm is the maximum for me now with a 2000mah battery.

If they can pull that off and do something with those sharp angular corners of that polycarbonate casing then I'm sold :)

That's never going to happen. They might be able to slim down the rest of the phone to some degree, but the optics are always going to be a protruding 'hump'.

Well fair enough about the optics, maybe they should have the full version for a camera centric device, but design a lower resolution compact 20 mega pixel variant for slim devices.

Certainly this isn't the era when Nokia could design their phones like that with the bulk....it's all about slinky designs these days, I hope for there sake they realise that.

Apart from a dedicated camera preview device I hope they start making competitive thin devices like HTC...who also rise a polycarbonate unibody and comes at under 9mm..with a decent camera.

Well fair enough about the optics, maybe they should have the full version for a camera centric device, but design a lower resolution compact 20 mega pixel variant for slim devices.

Certainly this isn't the era when Nokia could design their phones like that with the bulk....it's all about slinky designs these days, I hope for there sake they realise that.

Apart from a dedicated camera preview device I hope they start making competitive thin devices like HTC...who also rise a polycarbonate unibody and comes at under 9mm..with a decent camera.

They can design it like the Razer . The non max verison at the top becomes fatter for a little bit and its a pronounced diffrence. IF they add the camera to a portion of the device like that it might work jut fine

I don't think there is any way that they will be able to get those optics down as small as they can on other smartphones - it's a complex, 5-element lens, a big sensor and I'd be surprised if they could take a phone down to much less than 12mm thickness with that camera fitted.

Yea maybe, I like the design currently but would like them to come up with some new ideas and get rid of those sharp corners.

I certainly don't like the way the 808 is designed, its a slab of plastic, I would also like Nokia to bring back the kick stand idea they introduced into the camera bezel on the n96.

They need to produce phones that are thinner and lighter than the brick that is lumia 900, don't get me wrong it's the toughest phone out there no question, but too thick.

I like the idea you put forward for the full camera centric version.

Actually, I take the 12mm figure back. I didn't realise the 808 was actually 18mm thick around the camera unit.

If they could get a phone containing a similar unit down to less than 15mm, I'd be surprised.

Wow that's shocking...Im sorry but I will never buy a phone that's a whopping 18mm thick!

It has the camera ever fitted to a smartphone.
Fair enough, but.they will not ne using that unit in the rest of the lineup.

I'm going to throw it out there and say they are going to redo the n8 camera, with 1080p, and better software.

That would be awesome and slim

photographic quality has a physics limit called etendu (possibly misspelled) which is the non-aberration limited light gathering ability of the lens. Less light or more aberration and the information just simply isn't there and no amount of digital processing can change that.

Short version is like cars - no replacement for displacement.

I think the PureView phone will be of interest to people who are heavily into photography. If it can do the smartphone basics without too many problems, it will probably be good enough for a lot of these folks. The biggest surprise for me is that it still has such a low resolution screen.

Too bulky for me though, I'm afraid.

Well in cars you can at least ch we cheat a little with turbo chargers and super chargers but I get your point :)

Right we know at least one phone will get the preview treatment...but what about the rest of the lineup?

I remember reading something about flexible sensors the other year which might eventually offer the possibility of big improvements in small camera units.

A quick search brings up the following link:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/1/19/curvilinearcamera

Obviously a few years of development away from being suitable for smartphone usage yet (assuming development is ongoing), but it would certainly offer a good way to keep the camera unit size down.

I know adjustable liquid lenses have also been developed for various uses but I'm not sure how suitable these would be for use in a high-quality digicam unit?

Nokia unconcerned about Lumia obsolescence

I think that your typical customer so far had overwhelmingly not signed up for the Windows Phone platform in the first place. The ones being screwed over here are mainly exactly those people who had made a conscious choice to take a chance with your underdog ecosystem.

So, basically, just like Samsung, except the WP7 phones actually get more OS updates than Samsung phones. Damn, Samsung must be hurting from screwing over all their customers. Oh wait, no, they are virtually tied with Apple for smartphone sales.

My girlfriend still has Samsung smartphone that is stuck at Android 2.2. Yay. But she doesn't care. Just like the vast majority of people using smartphones. They just don't care what version of the OS it is using.

And if they do care, they tend to just buy a new smartphone rather than dick around with trying to jailbreak and self install a higher OS version.

Regards,
SB

So, basically, just like Samsung, except the WP7 phones actually get more OS updates than Samsung phones. Damn, Samsung must be hurting from screwing over all their customers. Oh wait, no, they are virtually tied with Apple for smartphone sales.

Well, aside from some glaring flaws in your comparison, such as:
- Android not being an underdog balancing on the cusp of gaining some traction
- Samsung being a healthy company and not a hemorrhaging partner that needs life support instead of a stab in the back
- Samsung phones on older Android revisions still being able to run practically all new apps, as unlike in the case of WP7 vs WP8, neither the kernel nor the programming interfaces were killed overnight
- Samsung phones having actually received major upgrades many months to more than a year after release, like the recent 2.3 to 4 upgrades
- Samsung actually significantly outpacing Apple's smartphone sales

.. you really presented a useful argument there.

That looks a lot like Nokia Belle (Symbian S^4-ish), so I'd say it might be the recently cancelled Nokia Carla. I don't know Harmattan's Swipe UX very well, but it doesn't seem to be related.
It looks like Belle + live widgets, to be more precise.

We might see this UI in the Belle FP2 update for the later Symbian models with 512MB RAM and BCM2763.

Some user in the youtube comments said this goes back to August 2011, so this video is clearly outdated. The sliding screen concept in the smartphone looks nice but the tablet design is almost a knock-off from the Sony Tablet S.
I'd even bet this video was made before the February 11th announcement. where the company was already omitting the name "Symbian" in their smartphones.

Back