No HDMI Cable with PS3

Can we compare things like that ? It seems that people are getting agitated as the launch draws near.

Yeah, pointing out that 2 much cheaper devices come with the cables that the PS3 lacks does seem to get people agitated. Just look at the off-topic rant you went into just because that little fact was pointed out.

Yeah, pointing out that 2 much cheaper devices come with the cables that the PS3 lacks does seem to get people agitated. Just look at the off-topic rant you went into just because that little fact was pointed out.

Hmm... how is it off-topic when I was dissecting the "worth" of bundling an HDMI cable, and exploring the desire for Sony to bundle an optional component ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The premiums come with COMPONENT, not composite cables. And COMPONENT are RGB cables.

Or didn't you know that?

Just for the record, in the UK Premiums shipped with component and composhite leads. NEITHER could produce scart RGB (which is the most common connection over here)...as a result I had to wait nearly 2 mths to get from composhite to RGB (as I don't have a HDTV yet).

Assuming that most HDTV-set out their are equipped with component inputs that even less surprising that Sony doesn't bundle HDMI with PS3. If TV-set has HDMI input it has component, but that isn't the truth in other way. And I'm almost sure that even 499$ version will come with component cable opposite to Xbox Core...

Because in the US, RGB cables are component cables which come in every single 360 premium.

Or were you not aware of how our system works? Hm?
Component isn't RGB though, not even in the US. That's why it's called component, and not RGB. ;)

And COMPONENT are RGB cables.
Component video is some sort of encoded YUV magic (or rather, YPbPr it would seem) with baked-in synch signals into the video and not straight RGB (which has separate synchs). It also has lower color precision than pure RGB as well, from what people say anyway. Not that I personally can tell any difference, others claim otherwise tho by comparing 360 output through component and RGB VGA, but that might be similar to comparing component and DVI/HDMI on certain gear; implementation differences in the display device. Fact seems to be though that component skimps a bit on the quality where humans aren't likely to detect it since we have a lot fewer chroma receptors in our retinas than luma.... I'm getting sidetracked here though.

Or didn't you know that?
How can I know something that isn't real? ;)

http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/~125219~WW~/index.htm

Scroll down to the bottom and tell me what A/V cables are included...

Now that we have just proven you don't have any clue as to what you are talking about, would you like to remove your attitude and be more civil?
Uh dude... I bought an euro premium system, so don't try and be a smartass with me; I know what's in the box. Check your own ego at the door first before trying to lecture me about the tone of my posts, thank you.

And what you confusedly seem to think is a component to scart adaptor is EXACTLY what I said it is; a COMPOSITE to scart adapter. Ie, you take the yellow (composite) plug on the 360 component cable, plug THAT and possibly the stereo audio leads into the scart adapter, and finally plug the adapter into the scart connector of the TV... So tell me again, what exactly was it that you 'proved'? :)

If you like, you can PM me an email address, I'll snap a couple pics of the adapter in question and send 'em over in case you really doubt me THAT much. I assure you most sincerely though; I am right and you are wrong, at least on this point. You can call me ignorant until the cows come home, but I think I know more than you about this considering all you have to go on is a UK website that glosses over these matters in one line of text, while I actually held the adapter IN MY HANDS, personally. Briefly as it was though; because then I put it right back in the box again since I don't need it.

And FYI, my component cables only have 5 plugs, not 6, so once again you clearly don't have a clue. Perhaps instead of guessing you should try actually looking this stuff up. You know, put those Google skills to work. Then you might just find out I do know what I'm talking about.
I'm sorry, but how many plugs do you count on this cable? I believe the correct number WOULD INDEED BE SIX, am I right?

Granted, you might want to argue that the sixth lead has nothing to do with component, since it's a composite lead, but then again, the two audio leads has nothing to do with component VIDEO either, so an actual pure component cable would only have three leads, for the Y, Pb and Pr signals. Then again, we're talking about a specific product here, and I'll wager you won't find any licensed 360 component cable that doesn't have 6 plugs on the end of it. Microsoft's original cable most certainly has 6 plugs, and that's all I care about.

This became a rather longer section than strictly neccessary, but that's what you get, keg, for arguing in the face of reason I'm afraid.

At least I know that Component is just an analog video input with RGB seperation and is in no way directly related to HDTV.
That may indeed be so, but component is the way you typically get HD out of the 360! So seen from that context, what I said is correct.

My SDTV also uses a component connection. Something you seem to be blissfully unaware of.
I am indeed happy to confer to you that I haven't the slightest knowledge about your TV, something I am supremely comfortable with. Nor do I particulary care. Now, was there anything else I can help you with today, or do you feel your skooling is complete? ;)

I dont think you can compare the off the self HDMI cables to the one thats gonna be used on the PS3, This is Sony we are talking about, they love to use propriety cables. To them propriety is profit, from selling there own or licensing its pretty much cutting out the competitors and allowing them to raise the prices for more profits. (look at psp and there duo-stick or any other Playstation, none have ever had a standard source end.

Im almost assured that Sony will use a propreity source end HDMI cable.

So many times ive tried to stick my kodak or cannon camera cables into my girl firends sony camera to find out they dont work and just my luck she dosnt have the cable

but componant is fine most people at the highest will have a 1080i which componants are just fine for.

I dont think you can compare the off the self HDMI cables to the one thats gonna be used on the PS3, This is Sony we are talking about, they love to use propriety cables. To them propriety is profit, from selling there own or licensing its pretty much cutting out the competitors and allowing them to raise the prices for more profits. (look at psp and there duo-stick or any other Playstation, none have ever had a standard source end.
:rolleyes:
And which other console has ?
Consoles have their propietary multi-out connectors for a simple reason: space-efficiency. just imagine you had a scart-plug & VGA-out on a PStwo. In fact the PS2 was one of the first consoles that uses a few standard ports like USB/Firewire.
You can use a bog-standard mini-usb cable for a PSP too.

That doesn't preclude them from having custom pin-out/wireing to those jacks. ;)
Haha, well I guess you can't ever be too careful! :D Seriously tho, standard socket but custom pinout would be a recipe for disaster, not even infinum labs would do such a thing and particulary not sony. They really wouldn't want to have tens of thousands of their own customers blowing their uber expensive consoles and/or HDTVs by sticking a standard HDMI cable into that custom jobbie. It would just get very expensive for everybody involved.

That doesn't preclude them from having custom pin-out/wireing to those jacks. ;)
That would be the dumbest thing I've ever heard in consumer electronics, I can't believe you guys are serious even thinking it's possible (even if "it's Sony" :rolleyes: )
That's fantasy, and 100% not going to happen :D
...the lengths some are ready to go.. unbelievable!

Thanks Guden for the clarification.

I checked the official PS3 site again. It doesn't say what kind of TV cable comes with PS3 so I'll have to wait. In the mean time... HDMI cable does not concern me. I'll be mad if they include HDMI cable only. I'll also be disappointed if it does not come with any TV cable :)

EDIT: typo

Last edited by a moderator:
I care how much Sony loses? The answer isn't yes.......

If you're going to force blu ray+ down my throat, how about giving me the means to actually use it properly out of the box?

This would be the equivalent of the 360 shipping with composite cables. Some of you need to quit signing up for the "Sony defense force" and get a clue.......

I think it's a shame that it's not included but uhh, no one is forcing BR down your throat. Just don't buy it. It's really that easy.

Really people, let's look at this objectively.

If Sony includes

1) HDMI cable
Pro: Cool, they can claim to be HD friendly bullshit...
Con: Majority of users will not have have TV with HDMI, and will end up buying a composite/component cable

2) Component/Composite cable
Pro: Majority of people can plug and play out of the box, regardless of the the TV...even most HD TV well support component.
Con: Much discussion on missing HDMI cable that really doesn't benefit majority of the users.

3) HDMI + Component/Composite cable
Pro: Everyone is happy
Con: Okay, not everyone is happy, someone will bitch about the missing RF cable

As you can see, it's in the majority best interest that Sony doesn't include HDMI cable.

edit: typos

Forget about HDMI... I'm still wondering why those pesky optical cables for audio aren't included in DVD players or consoles that support them. Those are obviously cheaper to make and has a higher percentage of being used by the average Joe then the HDMI cable.

Sony should also pay for routine Eye and Ear checkups so that the gamer can enjoy every small pixel and every little sound effect.:LOL:

Back