No HDMI Cable with PS3

I mentioned this earlier in a different thread. I dont see it as any surprise, other than it's a testament as to how little Sony thinks HDMI support really matters.

But with over 80% of the population in the US, and even more in Europe and Japan unable to use HDMI at all it shouldn't come as a shock that they aren't including cables for it.

Well my feeling is that people who dont need or want HDMI are buying the 499 version. Clearly people buying the 599 version are buying it, at least partially (and maybe mostly), for the HDMI port. So to make the HDMI port a clear incentive to spend the extra $100 and then not include the cable for it...not good imo.

Well my feeling is that people who dont need or want HDMI are buying the 499 version. Clearly people buying the 599 version are buying it, at least partially (and maybe mostly), for the HDMI port. So to make the HDMI port a clear incentive to spend the extra $100 and then not include the cable for it...not good imo.
yeah, but the hard drive is also a big motivating factor.

Really no surprise as Consoles arent even shipped with a damn RGB-Cable now.

@expletive: even if HDMI is a big motivation factor for the more expansive model, it doesnt mean buyers will actually connect it to a HDMI-TV. Its rather that the cheaper SKU is lacking options which might be valuable in the future.
A HDMI-Cable is useless expense for people using regular TVs, and its also useless expense for people which actualy use the Port, but need an DVI-Port at the other end. Do you really want to have 5 different cables bundled, and paying - direct or indirect - for them?

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the PS3 could be user-upgraded with off the shelf hard drives?
I remember there were some other things the premium version had. If you had a TV with HDMI wouldn't any HDMI cables you have around work? Of course they only sell 50 ft $80 Monster Cables in stores...

I've already got extra HDMI cables laying around from peripherals, plus lots of DVI cables that will work with an adapter. A non-issue, and $30 is way too much for an HDMI cable, unless you're buying a brand name (e.g. Monstrously Overpriced) or a very long cable. 3foot and 6foot cables are cheap.

I've already got extra HDMI cables laying around from peripherals, plus lots of DVI cables that will work with an adapter. A non-issue, and $30 is way too much for an HDMI cable, unless you're buying a brand name (e.g. Monstrously Overpriced) or a very long cable. 3foot and 6foot cables are cheap.

Honestly it's even more than $30. Last time I was in Best Buy looking for one, the cheapest they got was $49. And 3ft cable is way too short. I can barely reach the TV with a 6ft one.

Honestly it's even more than $30. Last time I was in Best Buy looking for one, the cheapest they got was $49. And 3ft cable is way too short. I can barely reach the TV with a 6ft one.
You can't find any cheap ones in stores because the margins are too low.

Don't buy ANY cables from Best Buy. Even S-Video cables are ludicriously expensive. Component cables are a rip off too.

And stay away from name-brand cables like Monster and Mad Catz like the plague, a recipe for rip off.

I order all my cables from online providers like RAM Electronics after being disgusted with absolutely crazy prices for optical cables and component at BB. (at one time, $80 for a optical cable)

The Cable business is a ripoff.

I believe Monster cables are a bit more than $30, i'm just talking about a quality HDMI cable from someplace like www.ramelectronics.net.

I really don't think you need a "high quality" cable unless you plan to run more than 6ft. And if you're going more than 15ft, I suggest Cat5e cable instead with HDMI adapters on each side from Geffen.

I bought the most expensive 30ft HDMI cable that money could buy, and it has tons of drop out errors. I returned it for another, same problem. I replaced it with Cat5e, run it over 50ft, and no errors.

Back