Nintendo revolutionizes portable 3D gaming! Announcing 2DS

You're kidding, right? nGage and Gizmondo and a host of others push Vita well off the top-spot for biggest handheld failure.

I meant it on this gen. Historically, there are some heavy weights in there for sure. Even nintendo joined the fight with virtual boy... and gbmicro to some extent.
Making a successful dedicated gaming handheld was hard enough before smartphones came to the yard, you have to be nearly lunatic to attempt it now.

Since there is no way you can get anything that comes close to Super Mario Brothers quality on smudge gaming devices, i would say 40 times better doesn't cover it :)

I am a parent, i am very well aware of what we load on our childrens gaming devices*. Educational games and apps are sometimes fun, for a short time, but kids tends to prefer pure games instead.

*Of course there is some parents that doesn't care about their kids and let them play violent games clearly marked out of their age group. My kids and their friends play nintendo when it comes to portable gaming, there is the odd one out that may have a smartphone and plays on that. But apart from those cases, it's Nintendo DSi 3DS and XL versions.

I am myself quite surprised with how bad the gaming offerings are on the phone/tablet market, no matter your OS/platform. Especially when it comes to the younger ones. Another thing i find strange is that the games that are there, for the bit older crowd don't really fit the platform. Strange that there are not more adventure/RPGs/strategy games, where the touch interface makes sense, but you mostly have FPS/action games with some crappy virtual stick, that sucks and you cover a third of your screen with your thumbs. I'm not saying ditch those games, but I really though that due to the interface we might see some good old adventure games making a come back...

I believe some PC favorites in genres like strategy have been ported for iPad.

iOS 7 is supporting controllers so we'll see if it changes the kind of games that are released.

I guess adventure games are not the best fit for the on-the-go nature of mobile gameplay. People grab mobile games for some quick, intant gratification gameplay, and adventure games can be quite frustrating if you come to them with those expectations. But they could still be a good fit as an airplane/train/spaceship type game, but the mobile game market just hasn't matured enough yet to incorporate those types of experiences that need highish production value and yet are a little bit more niche.

Back