Nintendo revolutionizes portable 3D gaming! Announcing 2DS

Will they release a "righ analog add-on" for that product?
I'm already wondering about how it could look... lol

---------------------->[]

The form-factor more than anything perplexes me. How is one supposed to transport this thing? Manbag? Isn't the whole reason for the existence of the dual screen to support a clamshell and enable more screen space the still fit in the pocket?

It's designed for kids younger than 7 years, no hinges could be a feature.

It's form-factor is close to a small a tablet, so I don't understand the shock.

I'll wait for the 2DS Lite in a clamshell form factor.

That likely wont happen since they switched to 1 LCD screen to cut costs. They mask over large portions of the LCD screen to make it seem like 2 LCDs. :LOL:

is the screen on 2DS are actually wiiutablet screen just turned 90 degree?

if its the same, then its a nice cut cost for Nintendo. One screen to rule them all.

This is the stupidest product I have seen in a long time. A large tablet screen with plastic over the top to restrict it to two smaller screens. A 2D variation of a 3D handheld. That's like an Occulus Rift with a plastic insert into one eyepiece to block it out! It's not even foldable to fit in one's pocket. It's 127 x 144 mm!

It's pretty stupid but I guess it makes a little sense as aimed at very young kids (with a price to match). Nintendo even said it's for 2-6 year olds I think (which is also why no 3D, developing eyes and all that)

It's almost a Fisher Price toy.

I'll wait for the 2DS Lite in a clamshell form factor.
Probably not gonna happen - two screens are more expensive than one and it seems that 2DS was designed (mostly*) to cut BOM.

* getting rid of the "3D can kill your eyes" label on every console and game was probably another reason

It's designed for kids younger than 7 years, no hinges could be a feature.
Ahh, I didn't know that. My source, EG, quoted, "Today we're making those unique Nintendo experiences more accessible and affordable. However you play and whatever you play, Nintendo has you covered," suggesting it was just a cheaper 3DS and not for a different demographic. As a toy for the under 7s it makes some sense.

Edit: Googling suggests Nintendo didn't tell anyone who their target demographic was until some 24 hours after reveal, so it's entirely their own fault. (What the hell is wrong with console PR at the moment?! Why is it so incompetent at communicating??)

It's form-factor is close to a small a tablet, so I don't understand the shock.
It's a toy, not a small tablet. Small tablets go in manbags and shoulderbags. DS, and all Nintendo's portables, have been designed to go in pockets. This is a break that makes no sense for Nintendo's portables (until you factor in it's for the very young and hinges are a physical vulnerability, and they have no need to transport it in pockets as they'll only use it around the house and on car journeys).

Cost of games is massively higher than on a cheap android tablet though, while the cost of the device is about the same. I would have thought that will offset the appeal of the Nintendo branding somewhat.

Do very young children these days really care about Nintendo branding these days? I guess the parents probably would, but how much is that worth to them when kids are tearing though $40 games?

So did they release this because sales of 3DS had dwindled, after some boost from the price drop and high-profile games being released for it?

Looks like they're determined to make their own hardware no matter what. Sell in Japan and among some loyal fans outside of Japan but perhaps passing up a chance to broaden their user base by releasing on iOS and Android.

Supposedly it's lower resolution and pixel density than the WiiU Tablet, so no it's not the same.
Also, weird things can happen to LCD displays when you rotate them 90 degrees from the direction it was originally intended to display at - especially if you tilt it at the same time. Depending on what tech is used to manufacture this thing - and cheap usually means TN - so randomly twisting it could make the display entirely unwatchable. Just picking an existing panel is therefore not really advisable...

Ahh, I didn't know that. My source, EG, quoted, "Today we're making those unique Nintendo experiences more accessible and affordable. However you play and whatever you play, Nintendo has you covered," suggesting it was just a cheaper 3DS and not for a different demographic. As a toy for the under 7s it makes some sense.

Edit: Googling suggests Nintendo didn't tell anyone who their target demographic was until some 24 hours after reveal, so it's entirely their own fault. (What the hell is wrong with console PR at the moment?! Why is it so incompetent at communicating??)

It's a toy, not a small tablet. Small tablets go in manbags and shoulderbags. DS, and all Nintendo's portables, have been designed to go in pockets. This is a break that makes no sense for Nintendo's portables (until you factor in it's for the very young and hinges are a physical vulnerability, and they have no need to transport it in pockets as they'll only use it around the house and on car journeys).

“We’re always thinking about what we can do that’s new, unique, different, and brings more people into this category that we love,” Fils-Aime said. “And so with the Nintendo 3DS, we were clear to parents that, ‘hey, we recommend that your children be seven and older to utilize this device.’ So clearly that creates an opportunity for five-year-olds, six-year-olds, that first-time handheld gaming consumer."

"We’ve always been thinking about, 'how do we approach that as one target?'" he continued. "And that certainly helped spur the idea of the Nintendo 2DS. Let’s have the consumer have access to all of these great games – Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing – but do it in a 2D capability with a device that has a dramatically lower price point. That’s just an example of how we’re always thinking about, ‘how do we get more people playing games? How do we get more people playing Nintendo games?’”

AFAIK Reggie said that in an IGN interview in the announcement day.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/nintendo-announces-2ds

http://kotaku.com/introducing-the-nintendo-2ds-no-thats-not-a-typo-1214807721

About size, if you get the original gameboy and put it sideways the 2DS will have a slightly narrower width and it's height will be only 3.7cm bigger, the gameboy Color is only slightly smaller. Yes, today is today and the good'ol'days are the good'ol'days , but it isn't so worrisome as some think it is, nor it's unheard of, portable game system weren't as portable as they are today. And as you said yourself the target demographic is kids, they don't put those in pockets, but on schoolbags.

But I don't see why a "toy" can't be designed to be carried on a bag while we have no problem with a tablet's design. Anyway, it's a non-issue.

So the maker of low-cost consoles has announced a cheap-ass version of their low-cost handheld console.

Kind of like the Wii Mini?

AFAIK Reggie said that in an IGN interview in the announcement day.
Okay, maybe it was misreporting by the media then.

But I don't see why a "toy" can't be designed to be carried on a bag...
Because a very large proportion of people don't carry bags around for their electronics. If you device requires a bag to be portable, you are excluding a lot of potential customers. That's why Nintendo went with the clamshell in the first place, surely, and one of the major gripes of the PSP which could still just about squeeze into a guy's pocket. If it doesn't fit in a pocket, it's not 'portable' in the traditional sense due to lack on convenience.

Actually, I just watched a hand-on of the device and the more I think about it the more I see it as a good product.
If anything the thing that bothers me is the price, 130 euros/dollars, I think Nintendo wants to make money on it, I wonder if they could have get the price @99$ because at that price it could have been a massive success, for kids and casual (like my wife) that still play its DS every once in while more often than not at home (not really mobile use) to kill some time.
She is unwilling to buy the 3DS, I think that @ 130 E it could prove a tough sale as you can almost buy good 7/8" tablet at that price, that comes with plenty of casual games (not Nintendo games, not as good quite often though the device serves other uses, web media consumption).

So once again I think Nintendo willingness to do money on hardware could prove counter productive, especially in its age where cheap tablets are getting a more and more viable alternative for casual games while offering a lot more than toy.

To make it short for me the price is not OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
People can load apps and games for their kids on their phones or tablets and let them play or they can buy a dedicated device with smaller set of more expensive games for their 5-7 year olds?

More and more kids may grow up without playing Nintendo games, the longer they try to make their own hardware. They may think the games are strong enough that people will buy their devices and the higher prices for games.

Or kids grow up with other games available on what are now ubiquitous devices.

It's kind of like the dilemma Microsoft has. They may try to withhold Office on iOS and Android tablets so that people would have to buy Surface and W8 tablets instead. But they may just be training people to do without Office on tablets.

People can load apps and games for their kids on their phones or tablets and let them play or they can buy a dedicated device with smaller set of more expensive games for their 5-7 year olds?

More and more kids may grow up without playing Nintendo games, the longer they try to make their own hardware. They may think the games are strong enough that people will buy their devices and the higher prices for games.

Or kids grow up with other games available on what are now ubiquitous devices.

It's kind of like the dilemma Microsoft has. They may try to withhold Office on iOS and Android tablets so that people would have to buy Surface and W8 tablets instead. But they may just be training people to do without Office on tablets.
They are definitely doing that, I shifted from 7 which came with some form of Office to Windows 8 (went for a clean instal), I did not know that there was no Office at all with Windows8.
I'm searching for a job and I do need to do some light Office work, I first tried MSFT cloud services and did not like them, then I move to Google offering, better but still not there, and I ended downloading "libreOffice" which do the job easily.

Anyway I think that Nintendo should have gone for the super catchy 99$ price tag, I think they could have sold wagon for Christmas, at 130$ it might sale decently but it won't have the same impact imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back