Nintendo revolutionizes portable 3D gaming! Announcing 2DS

I don't understand what happened to Nintendo. They made that huge pile of money from the Wii and they may as well be burning it. I really thought with the rejuvenation of the name, and all of that money, they'd be attracting talent and make some good moves to put themselves back in a competitive position against Microsoft and Sony. So far it's all misses.

Actually, I just watched a hand-on of the device and the more I think about it the more I see it as a good product.
If anything the thing that bothers me is the price, 130 euros/dollars, I think Nintendo wants to make money on it, I wonder if they could have get the price @99$ because at that price it could have been a massive success, for kids and casual (like my wife) that still play its DS every once in while more often than not at home (not really mobile use) to kill some time.
She is unwilling to buy the 3DS, I think that @ 130 E it could prove a tough sale as you can almost buy good 7/8" tablet at that price, that comes with plenty of casual games (not Nintendo games, not as good quite often though the device serves other uses, web media consumption).

So once again I think Nintendo willingness to do money on hardware could prove counter productive, especially in its age where cheap tablets are getting a more and more viable alternative for casual games while offering a lot more than toy.

To make it short for me the price is not OK.

I would bet that 2DS costs 130$ because DS is still selling at 99$.

Cost of games is massively higher than on a cheap android tablet though, while the cost of the device is about the same. I would have thought that will offset the appeal of the Nintendo branding somewhat.

Do very young children these days really care about Nintendo branding these days? I guess the parents probably would, but how much is that worth to them when kids are tearing though $40 games?

The games on Android Tablets may be cheaper but they are not in the same league as the DS2D3DiXL games. You have the complete Lego series, Mario in every form seen to man and. On the Android tablets you have smudge games a plenty and nothing else.

Yes i have kids, tablets, consoles, PC's etc..

The games on Android Tablets may be cheaper but they are not in the same league as the DS2D3DiXL games. You have the complete Lego series, Mario in every form seen to man and. On the Android tablets you have smudge games a plenty and nothing else.

Yes i have kids, tablets, consoles, PC's etc..

And the 2D is interesting :)

Games may be better but are they up to 40X better?

More and more parents are loading educational apps. and cheap games for their children -- sometimes toddlers before they even can read -- on mobile devices.

2DS is basically designed to sell Pokemon, innit? ;) Will probably be fairly successful.

And yes, many of Nintendo games are 40x better. But of course not all. There are some nice exceptions and there are definitely great educational apps (Nintendo has download titles too of course, but a very, very bad storefront/account system).

It's clear though that tablets are winning, but despite us having plenty of iPad going about the house, I'd dread my kid to grow up with endless runners. I see kids get actively dumber playing those, and have delighted quite a few of (slightly older) friends of my son by handing them Rayman Origins on Vita.

Games may be better but are they up to 40X better?

More and more parents are loading educational apps. and cheap games for their children -- sometimes toddlers before they even can read -- on mobile devices.

Since there is no way you can get anything that comes close to Super Mario Brothers quality on smudge gaming devices, i would say 40 times better doesn't cover it :)

I am a parent, i am very well aware of what we load on our childrens gaming devices*. Educational games and apps are sometimes fun, for a short time, but kids tends to prefer pure games instead.

*Of course there is some parents that doesn't care about their kids and let them play violent games clearly marked out of their age group. My kids and their friends play nintendo when it comes to portable gaming, there is the odd one out that may have a smartphone and plays on that. But apart from those cases, it's Nintendo DSi 3DS and XL versions.

I don't understand what happened to Nintendo. They made that huge pile of money from the Wii and they may as well be burning it. I really thought with the rejuvenation of the name, and all of that money, they'd be attracting talent and make some good moves to put themselves back in a competitive position against Microsoft and Sony. So far it's all misses.
Iwata is the main culprit, imho, but a 2DS console doesn't seem like a bad move at all. I am more interested in this new handheld console to be my first handheld ever than I was before --compared to the actual 3DS. But I find the Vita more interesting than the 2DS and 3DS combined, regardless of the fact that oddly enough I've never been into Sony's consoles in the past, except playing a lot of games at some friends' home.

Hmm, what are the odds that Microsoft will try to make a handheld console in time to be competitive too?

Hmm, what are the odds that Microsoft will try to make a handheld console in time to be competitive too?
~0%. Handhelds are notoriously hard to be successful at. More likely they'll have a phone/tablet with a gaming cradle option.

Well MS designed their own Surface tablets and they just bought Nokia's smartphone business so they shouldn't have a problem making a very nice handheld...

What happened to Nintendo is they are either big scaredy cats when it comes to Sony and MS or they are way too arrogant from the success of Wii and think anything they touch will turn to gold. I think it's a mix of both. They clearly have shitty executive management at the moment, failing to see where the market is headed. They thought the market was going towards tablets and decided to make a home console that incorporates a tablet controller in one package. That is clearly a recipe for ultimate failure looking at WiiU's abysmal sales. The company intentionally designed the WiiU to be a weakling in terms of power in terms of processing and electricity. They have clearly lost touch with reality and this 2DS thing seems like a desperate attempt to recoup some of their investment.

The smart thing they could have done would have been to release a next generation system and a next generation handheld. The tablet would replace 3DS as their handheld and WiiU would be an actual upgrade from PS360. They could have sold millions units of each for a profit and receive 3rd party support at the same time. But their failure to do this is resulting in the company being reduced to irrelevancy.

That would mean some serious competition for sony's vita as biggest handheld failure.
You're kidding, right? nGage and Gizmondo and a host of others push Vita well off the top-spot for biggest handheld failure.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're kidding, right? nGage and Gizmondo and a host of others push Vita well off the top-spot for biggest handheld failure.
It is true though they were not coming from the company that used to be the leading force in the game entertainment business.

Anyway I think there is a market for handheld but it is getting more and more centered toward pretty low end hardware with a matching price.

I still think that the PSV is too powerful too pricey, now will it get better with the PS4 launch, I don't know. I expect it to sell a tad better but not enough to make a massive difference in the number of publishers interested in the platform when the gaming mobile market already generates more revenues than the handheld one.

WRT to MSFT launching a handheld in some form, I think they won't, if they were to do it I think they would fail, not because the market is too tiny, supposedly owned by Nintendo, etc. I think they would fail because the product would not be properly positioned, for me the golden price in its age of cheap tablets and omnipresent smart phone might be 99$, you could go further that but I think that it would discard the product as an impulse present for kids for lots of parents (or casuals).
Now costumers are likely to have another device they can play with even if the experience is of lesser quality.

If tomorrow MSFT launch a 99$ handheld, running some form of winphone8, runs the same games, allow cross platform gaming on social games, and follow up with quality games, I'm not sure it would fail, especially if it can interact in some way with the XB1 in some ways (streaming from the XB1 or cross platform gaming on casual games).
Now if they try to sell an "Apple like product", what SOny tried with the PSV, they will fail.

Anyway I don't think they will (or in a reactive manner if some form of Android handhelds were to gain traction, actually following that line of thinking I wonder if they would be better off trying to be pro active on that front).

Last edited by a moderator:
Nintendo generating operating losses quarter after quarter means 3DS is much more of a failure than hardware numbers show. Huge software sales decline over DS and margins arent anywhere near to GBA/DS.

Its selling about as much in USA as PSP was in 2008-2009. 3rd parties all but lost to mobile market. Dosent look good like a good trend for the next device..

Nintendo put a gimmick on the screen that didnt sell.. it only killed any good profit margins. This failure was only topped by the inclusion of Gamepad to Wii U.

Nintendo generating operating losses quarter after quarter means 3DS is much more of a failure than hardware numbers show. Huge software sales decline over DS and margins arent anywhere near to GBA/DS.

Its selling about as much in USA as PSP was in 2008-2009. 3rd parties all but lost to mobile market. Dosent look good like a good trend for the next device..

Nintendo put a gimmick on the screen that didnt sell.. it only killed any good profit margins. This failure was only topped by the inclusion of Gamepad to Wii U.

For me the question is if Nintendo can regroup and live as a smaller company. The DS was a mindblowing succes, repeating that would be incredible. The WII story is the same. Imho they just need to adjust so that they aren't bleeding money to fast to handle and then keep on doing what they do best, shock and awe :)

And the WII U still needs to hit the soft spot on price, plenty are waiting (raises hand) for that to happen, and it still needs some more Nintendo software.

Back