nintendo DS is AMAZING!!!

BTW Natoma how can you possibly compare the sheer ugliness of Virtual Boy with DS?:

e32004-nintendods_2.jpg

Natoma said:
Teasy said:
Now if only someone with an eye for design had made the DS, I might actually be slightly interested atm

Do you plan to wear your next handheld as a necklace? :LOL:

I don't see what the laughter or uproar over caring about the design of something you're going to spend hundreds of dollars on is about.

For example, why did I choose an Apple IPOD over a Creative Zen Jukebox, even though the Jukebox is cheaper and had more storage? The IPOD looks fantastic. People care about looks and design. And in that department, what came out of E3 from Nintendo looks like a cheap piece of plastic. You're telling me they couldn't have made it look better than that?

These are the same people that came up with the GB SP for crying out loud. Design is a legitimate factor in deciding whether or not to purchase a handheld for me. And in that regard, the PSP wins hands down.

But both server thier purpose well.

If the ipod got 20% of the battery life of the jukebox would u care about its looks ?

The ds is sleak. It folds up to protect its screens which makes it more durable . It can easily fit in your pocket and can take a few hits .

Can you say all this about your psp ?

The psp is a nice design. But its not as pratical for what it needs to do .

Teasy said:
I wasn't really laughing at you. The laughing smillie is just to say that what I'm saying is a joke. Of course there was a serious point in there. Which was that this is a gaming device not a fashion accessary.

Those lines have been steadily blurring Teasy.

Teasy said:
On the IPOD vs JukeBox comment. Well that's where you and I differ. Frankly I'd cringe if someone I know paid more for an inferior product simply because they like the way it looks. That's just the way I am, I'd have gone for the JukeBox (funny I've been thinking of getting one actually).

It helps that the IPOD interface is superior and the screen is larger. But a big decider was the fact that the IPOD is far sleeker and "sexier" than the Jukebox, as well as smaller.

Teasy said:
My view on DS's look is that I think it looks ok but it could look quite a bit better and I hope that it ends up looking as good as the GBA-SP. But either way it won't stop me from buying it if its features and games interest me.

Well we have a difference of opinion is all. :p

jvd said:
If the ipod got 20% of the battery life of the jukebox would u care about its looks ?

But it doesn't. And I've stated in other threads that the PSP's battery life is a big issue for me. But the design of the DS is frankly awful imo. I think the PSP wins hands down, but that doesn't mean I'd get a PSP.

jvd said:
The ds is sleak. It folds up to protect its screens which makes it more durable . It can easily fit in your pocket and can take a few hits .

Can you say all this about your psp ?

The DS looks like the foldover plastic case of my screwdriver set imo. Fugly.

As for the psp, I wasn't aware that it's "mine" considering I don't have one. :p

jvd said:
The psp is a nice design. But its not as pratical for what it needs to do .

I agree. I don't like the battery length of the psp, and I don't like the fugliness of the DS design.

Just because something is "practical" doesn't mean it has to look like a piece of crap. But that's just me.

But it doesn't. And I've stated in other threads that the PSP's battery life is a big issue for me. But the design of the DS is frankly awful imo. I think the PSP wins hands down, but that doesn't mean I'd get a PSP.

Then why bring up something that doesn't fit the current situation .

The current situation is looks vs practicality (sp?) . The ds is more practical at playing games as it has a longer battery life while playing games and its design protects it while traveling .

The psp Has a very short battery life and its design doesn't make it very portable .

So find a comparison like that and see if its still looks over function .

The DS looks like the foldover plastic case of my screwdriver set imo. Fugly.
Ds looks like the gba but longer. Its a very nice durable design. Sure it wont get you the cool geek award of the year. But then again its designed for a younger crowd who don't need a pretty toy. They just want to play games on it .

As for the psp, I wasn't aware that it's "mine" considering I don't have one.
Thats right and u will never own it as your to chicken to go get one .

agree. I don't like the battery length of the psp, and I don't like the fugliness of the DS design.

Just because something is "practical" doesn't mean it has to look like a piece of crap. But that's just me.

So how would u make the ds better looking while keeping it practical ? I.e durable and protected as this is targeted mainly at a younger audiance.

How will you protect the screens if it didn't fold like a clam shell. Wouldn't last long with a kid throwing it in his back pack would it ?

Teasy said:
I wasn't really laughing at you. The laughing smillie is just to say that what I'm saying is a joke. Of course there was a serious point in there. Which was that this is a gaming device not a fashion accessary.

On the IPOD vs JukeBox comment. Well that's where you and I differ. Frankly I'd cringe if someone I know paid more for an inferior product simply because they like the way it looks. That's just the way I am, I'd have gone for the JukeBox (funny I've been thinking of getting one actually).

My view on DS's look is that I think it looks ok but it could look quite a bit better and I hope that it ends up looking as good as the GBA-SP. But either way it won't stop me from buying it if its features and games interest me.

Yeah, it was a bit of a disappointment seeing the ds, after the SP I expected all handhelds to look like that. However, now I want the look of the sp, but I can't buy it because it doesn't have the functionality of the ds, yet there will probably be an sp version of that a year or two after its release....but that means I have to miss out on the first 2 years of its life or pay twice! Ah! At least this time its backlit....

BTW, my next door neighbor appears to be the type that cares what the outside looks like(and many others). Besides the whole looking at a gamecube and saying "it looks kiddy so it must be weak", I have two pcs, he doesn't know the specs of either(and probably wouldn't understand), but the one with the mildly cool case(it's black and a bit of silver, that's about it) he described as like a super powerful computer, but the one in the plain jane giant baise case he described as a sucky old computer, without even knowing the hardware inside. And unfortunately, too many people are like that, I know people who would buy a more expensive and inferior alienware computer just for the case.(or go for a good looking case with a crappy power supply over a normal looking case with a good power supply)

Oh, and I thought virtual boy looked cool....it was excused of its appearance and functionality because it did something that wasn't done before and hasn't been done since.(and it was farther out there than the ds is, though the touch screen is nice, if the ds didn't have it I'd be much less interested since it would be the same way of playing games but with better graphics..please, I have consoles for that)

The original GBA looked great. And the SP was a step up from that. I don't believe that the DS is simply looks vs practicality.

If Nintendo could achieve that balance with the GBA and SP variant, they could definitely do so with the DS. But hey this is probably a moot "argument" anyway because looks is all about individual taste and nothing more. :)

Natoma said:
The original GBA looked great. And the SP was a step up from that. I don't believe that the DS is simply looks vs practicality.

If Nintendo could achieve that balance with the GBA and SP variant, they could definitely do so with the DS. But hey this is probably a moot "argument" anyway because looks is all about individual taste and nothing more. :)

But the ds is just a bigger gba . When it folds it looks just like two gbas next to each other. The inside looks nice to. Its very simple .

Don't see what your complaining about. If you liked the gba sp then you should like this longer gba sp

Some people liked the Virtual Boy. It did sell you know.

Didn't say nobody liked it, just said its ugly and when you use it you tend to look really silly, that's all. But then people didn't buy it because it looked nice.

I have to say if you think DS looks anything like Virtual Boy in the ugliness stakes then frankly I'm speechless.... :)

Natoma said:

Isn't the DS a combination of GBA and SP? It's got the large size of the original gba, and the x2 body section of the SP!

I don't think the DS looks any worse than the GBA, but considering the PSP has significantly more advanced hardware and is smaller than the DS, you think they could have slimmed the DS down some.(can't see why not, chips don't take up that much space, the empty space would either be due to heatsinks or to give the system a bit more durability)

Fox5

The DS is smaller then the PSP when its folded up. I agree that it certainly could be slimmer though AFAICS (given the hardware inside).

The DS looks like a cigarette case(for those who have never seen them many upperclass people would buy a slim metal case to hold thier cigarettes in, they were more stylish and sexy than putting a pack in your pocket.

I think it looks slick, not PSP slick but slick, granted it has been stressed it was only a prototype and the final product will not look like that.

You can't "look" using the tiny PSP analog and simultaneously use the small dpad. You would have to lose control over the analog (there by centering your viewpoint) and then use the dpad. Sounds incredibily clumsy.
Guden already explained it to you. Have you ever played MDK2 on Dreamcast? You would use face buttons (X, O, [], /\) to move forward, backwards, strafe left & right, use analog pad to look/aim, and use triggers to shoot/jump. It works very nice, actually.

At least Nintendo had working Nintendo DS prototypes.
Are you really sure about that? From what I've seen and heard, DS prototypes were bolted to the stations as well, and there were no working prototypes that you could carry around. So there really is no proof that they weren't 'cheating' as well.

The DS looks like a cigarette case(for those who have never seen them many upperclass people would buy a slim metal case to hold thier cigarettes in, they were more stylish and sexy than putting a pack in your pocket.
Yeah, but those cases, are usually made of high quality materials, not of cheap plastic like DS :)

jvd said:
The ds is more practical at playing games as it has a longer battery life while playing games...

should have ;)

jvd said:
The psp Has a very short battery life and its design doesn't make it very portable .

Appears to have

There's no real indication of the real world lifetime of the PSP's batteries, there's no even a full working propotype as far as we know.

Teasy said:
Fox5

The DS is smaller then the PSP when its folded up. I agree that it certainly could be slimmer though AFAICS (given the hardware inside).

Really? From the way it looks, ds looks bigger than the gba(bottom half looks gba sized + some, and top half looks like half a gba + some), whereas the dimensions of psp are smaller than the original gba is everyway except length.(so overall it's bigger)

BTW, as for an fps where you move with the buttons and aim with the joystick......well besides every pc fps has digital movement and uses a mouse(some early ones used joysticks though, but full sized ones not thumbsticks), how about the turok games, you use the c buttons to move and the control stick to aim.

"Are you really sure about that? From what I've seen and heard, DS prototypes were bolted to the stations as well, and there were no working prototypes that you could carry around. So there really is no proof that they weren't 'cheating' as well. "

Well, the only things actually shown to be running on the PSP had graphics nowhere near what sony said it was capable of, the DS stuff wasn't all that spectacular though and seemed like a much more realistic expectation. Besides, what about the touch screen? That'd be a bit hard to make work if they were cheating, wouldn't it?

Appears to have

There's no real indication of the real world lifetime of the PSP's batteries, there's no even a full working propotype as far as we know.

Sony said what.....2.5 hours to 10 hours, with 2.5 meaning games and 10 meaning music. Well, going by how like every pervious console has always misled on battery life by a bit, it's probably more like 1 and a half to 2 hours of actual battery life.[/quote]

The psp Has a very short battery life and its design doesn't make it very portable
I think you are in for an unpleasant surprise when you get your hands on DS if you think it's very small and portable. That thing looks like a brick when it's closed. Certainly, PSP is not the most portable handheld that has ever existed euther, but at least it has that big screen which justifies the size. DS has so much empty negative space on it (another thing that makes it look like a cheap toy, btw.) that you have to wonder if they could engineer it better.

marconelly! said:
The psp Has a very short battery life and its design doesn't make it very portable
I think you are in for an unpleasant surprise when you get your hands on DS if you think it's very small and portable. That thing looks like a brick when it's closed. Certainly, PSP is not the most portable handheld that has ever existed euther, but at least it has that big screen which justifies the size. DS has so much empty negative space on it (another thing that makes it look like a cheap toy, btw.) that you have to wonder if they couldn't engineer it better.

You think ?

I know though :)

Remember though I'm 6'4 so whats small in my hands might not be small in yours .

1. DS is about as wide as two GBA SPs side by side however it seems slightly taller. The screen is thinner than the base just like GBA SP. If you download those videos I linked to, you'll see that it looks quite nice, fairly small (kids were using it) and not cheap at all.

2. Natoma likes the look of the iPOD. I think it looks fugly.

3. The DS will probably be made of the same plastic as GBA SP which is a good thing.

4. The folding design is very practical and attractive. It looks like one of the cigar holders Lisa mentioned. I won't be too worried if I accidently dropped it.

Back