First real Nintendo DS pic?

jvd said:
doesn't look much bigger than 2 gba sps next to each other or a little bit more than 1 gba across.

It also folds making it more compact

It is little more bigger that GBA across. However it seems to be very thick, if you have a close look. I thought Nintendo would go for a more compact design, so maybe I am a bit disappointed.

How exactly can you look at s still picture of something and suddenly know whether it is or isn't a "gaming revolution"?.. you can't, stop jumping the gun.

Jeez, stop being so defensive man. you don't need a picturte to tell if something is innovative when you know what it's use is. I said the same things to some guys I'm working with, if the second screen is used mainly as a map, or stats, screen then that simply isn't a very innovative use for it.

if that's the real thing I'm not impressed so far but I'll reserve judgment until I see more high-res pictures and videos of the thing. So far it looks a little too retro for me. :?

Jeez, stop being so defensive man. you don't need a picturte to tell if something is innovative when you know what it's use is. I said the same things to some guys I'm working with, if the second screen is used mainly as a map, or stats, screen then that simply isn't a very innovative use for it.

I'm not being defensive at all, just stating a fact. Nobody here knows the full scope of DS's use until they see all the games running. All I'm pointing out is that nobody can judge how innovative the DS is by looking at a still picture of it running a single game.

Or am I missing the point? Was he just saying that the idea seen in the Mario Kart image is not innovative?

Or am I missing the point? Was he just saying that the idea seen in the Mario Kart image is not innovative?

That's what I beleive he was saying. if it's only used for stuff like that, then you can't call it innovative.

McFly said:
I still think it's a bad idea. I still heard not one example where you not just could push a button (on the PSP) to see what would be on a second screen (on the DS) for a short amount of time, the same short amount of time your eye would need to move to the second screen, focus, get back to the first screen and focus again.

But man, that's exactly my point! With two screens we can have NEW ideas rather than the old crap we're used to now of press start, blah-blah-blah. Don't pretend there's no new ideas we could come up with, remember that US patent director in the 1800s who said all that could be invented had been? :LOL:

When new opportunities present themselves, so will new ideas! That your imagination stretches no further than a map permanently displayed on the second screen speaks more about YOU than it does of the Nintendo DS! :LOL:

Guden Oden said:
McFly said:
I still think it's a bad idea. I still heard not one example where you not just could push a button (on the PSP) to see what would be on a second screen (on the DS) for a short amount of time, the same short amount of time your eye would need to move to the second screen, focus, get back to the first screen and focus again.

But man, that's exactly my point! With two screens we can have NEW ideas rather than the old crap we're used to now of press start, blah-blah-blah. Don't pretend there's no new ideas we could come up with, remember that US patent director in the 1800s who said all that could be invented had been? :LOL:

When new opportunities present themselves, so will new ideas! That your imagination stretches no further than a map permanently displayed on the second screen speaks more about YOU than it does of the Nintendo DS! :LOL:

Then why don't u come up with something... Go on, a way to REALLY exploit this "unbelievable freedom" u r talking about. Nothing that could be done at the touch of a button just like McFly said.

Vysez said:
:D Thanks Guden i know what it "supposed" to be used for, but i still think it's "useless", since you can't guess when an opponent is gonna throw you a carapace (or whatever), and more of all the AI in Mario Kart cheats

You're just DETERMINED to bash the DS no matter what, aren't you?

You haven't even PLAYED the game and you already know the AI cheats? That's just amazing man! Any more divine insight learned from your crystal ball or whatever it is you use to spy on the future? :p

Like I said in another post, that YOU can't think of any ideas for a double-screen setup....... ;) Stop being such a negative bore, try to see opportunities instead of difficulties.

As for the thing's size, it doesn't look particulary big to me, the height is likely not much more than the GBA SP, and the width only proportionally larger since buttons are on the sides of the screen now rather than below; likely comparable to the original GBA. Still a neat package.

london-boy said:
Then why don't u come up with something... Go on, a way to REALLY exploit this "unbelievable freedom" u r talking about. Nothing that could be done at the touch of a button just like McFly said.

I really think RTS games could be pretty interesting on the DS, especially if the bottom screen is a touch screen. You could manipulate a map on the bottom to zoom in/out on an area just by touching that part of the screen. You could use the touch screen on the bottom to manage resources while using the top screen to move around units and engage in combat. With the exception of a lack of mouse, I think playing RTS games like that COULD in most ways be superior to playing on a PC, (especially a 3D RTS like Battlezone). Just a thought.

Clashman said:
london-boy said:

I really think RTS games could be pretty interesting on the DS, especially if the bottom screen is a touch screen. You could manipulate a map on the bottom to zoom in/out on an area just by touching that part of the screen. You could use the touch screen on the bottom to manage resources while using the top screen to move around units and engage in combat. With the exception of a lack of mouse, I think playing RTS games like that COULD in most ways be superior to playing on a PC, (especially a 3D RTS like Battlezone). Just a thought.

Well, if it IS touchscreen, then i can even come up with hundreds of nice ideas, how about if it's not? When will we finally know what DS really is?

Guden Oden said:

Trust me, my imagination stretches far beyond a map on the second screen, but it's a physical fact that if you move your eyes to a second screen (those screens are to far away and not side by side, so you can't really look on both at the same time), you could just hold a button and the software does the screen switching immediatly, without losing focus. (I wait for the first PSP game that when switching to a map prints "Switching to a second screen now" for some miliseconds) :LOL:

Fredi

Guden Oden said:
You're just DETERMINED to bash the DS no matter what, aren't you?

Whut?? :?

Guden Oden said:
You haven't even PLAYED the game and you already know the AI cheats? That's just amazing man! Any more divine insight learned from your crystal ball or whatever it is you use to spy on the future? :p

I wasn't talking about THIS Mario Kart, your loosing the point here Guden, we were talking about the usefulness of a map in a racer, and i took the MK example, since YOU talk about the usefulness of its Map, usefulness that i discussed... I didn't talked about Mario Kart DS AI.

BTW ALL Mario Karts and even Mario Kart likes (say Crash Team Racing, Wacky race, Looney tunes space race, Muppet RaceMania, Diddy Kong racing, etc...) Did all have Cheating AI...

So one could predict easily that the Mario Kart DS AI will cheat (i didn't talked about that, but since you bring that up) don't need any superpowers (i'm not saying that i didn't have any btw :p ) for that, cheating AI belongs to the genre, and tweaking a good AI for those game is quite hard, for example in Wacky races/Looney tunes Space Races the cheats were too obvious, and 5 sec before the end you could be downgrade from the 1st place to the last. Mario Kart AI always "balanced" the "Gifts" for example, the first of the race will rarely end up findind boost or the "shrinker" , the last OTOH will, Mario Karts have the Best AI of the Genre, that's a fact.

Like I said in another post, that YOU can't think of any ideas for a double-screen setup....... Stop being such a negative bore, try to see opportunities instead of difficulties.

Like I said in previous Topic, I can't come with a good idea (i'm not even talking about revolutionnary) for a double screen setup for anything else but puzzles games... So what?
You also can't, obviously... :p
And i didn't looked for any difficulties, i just said that put a map on screen 2 wasn't really "mind blowing"... that's all, you're reading too much in my humble statements.
I'm seriously looking forward to what Nintendo can bring. Honest to god. :p

I also clearly stated that i was waiting Nintendo to show me what they can do with thoses 2 screens, and only then i could judge the usefulness of such setup. I mean my engrish is bad but , i think i made myself clear on the others posts. :devilish:

it's a physical fact that if you move your eyes to a second screen, you could just hold a button and the software does the screen switching immediatly, without losing focus.

There's a big difference between a single screen handheld (especially one which isn't touch sensative) being able to support some dual screen type games and a handheld that is designed for dual screen games. DS will force developers to bring innovative concepts in dual screen games, that will never happen with GBA or PSP. So it can bring new concepts from developers into the games industry that we would never see without it. Also there are plenty of idea's that just wouldn't be possible on PSP.

With all that screen real estate at the top, you would think they would make the top screen bigger. At least to beat the PSP.

Speng.

Teasy said:
DS will force developers to bring innovative concepts in dual screen games, that will never happen with GBA or PSP. So it can bring new concepts from developers into the games industry that we would never see without it.

Read one of my earlyer posts in this thread, I did not mention anything else.

Fredi

It's not a fake... I've seen only until now (video going on) 2 Games Mario 64 and Metroid , they looked good... One screen is the game, the other screen is map.

At least graphics looks goods, and it has vocal recognition.

How would you rate the graphics of DS so far Vysez? I supposed the Metroid game is a 2d Metroid yes?

Do you think DS looks better then N64?

Oh and voice recognition?.. is this for real and for definate? That could be interesting, and certainly adds some interesting possibilities.

Vysez said:
BTW ALL Mario Karts and even Mario Kart likes (say Crash Team Racing, Wacky race, Looney tunes space race, Muppet RaceMania, Diddy Kong racing, etc...) Did all have Cheating AI...

So one could predict easily that the Mario Kart DS AI will cheat (i didn't talked about that, but since you bring that up) don't need any superpowers (i'm not saying that i didn't have any btw :p ) for that, cheating AI belongs to the genre, and tweaking a good AI for those game is quite hard, for example in Wacky races/Looney tunes Space Races the cheats were too obvious, and 5 sec before the end you could be downgrade from the 1st place to the last. Mario Kart AI always "balanced" the "Gifts" for example, the first of the race will rarely end up findind boost or the "shrinker" , the last OTOH will, Mario Karts have the Best AI of the Genre, that's a fact.

Thou art incorrect. Super Mario Kart had no such cheating AI. I've actually managed to overlap lap 2nd place two or three times, by some careful trick driving.

Double Dash doesn't SEEM to have a cheat AI, either. I can pull a hell of a huge lead in many races, mainly on the lower settings.

Tagrineth said:
Thou art incorrect. Super Mario Kart had no such cheating AI. I've actually managed to overlap lap 2nd place two or three times, by some careful trick driving.

Double Dash doesn't SEEM to have a cheat AI, either. I can pull a hell of a huge lead in many races, mainly on the lower settings.
I agree with the fact that Super mario kart isn't a "good" (or maybe at all) a cheater, for obivious reasons i think.
Double Dash "cheats" , it's just that it's fined tweaked... but it cheats, sure about it.

Teasy said:
How would you rate the graphics of DS so far Vysez? I supposed the Metroid game is a 2d Metroid yes?

Do you think DS looks better then N64?

Oh and voice recognition?.. is this for real and for definate? That could be interesting, and certainly adds some interesting possibilities.

Metroid (with a distance OC) looked exactly like Metroid Prime... Yep. :D
Sure it has simplier environments (almost like boxes), but sure it looked good. 3D + 2D (only lines) Map.

Mario looked liked Mario64 on N64 + they added Wario flying around with mario. 3D + 2D( or maybe simplified 3D from the above) Map.

The voice recognition was not directly related to thoses games actually.

The DS is pretty BIG (a video showed kids/teenagers playing around with it and it wasn't pocket friendly)

Yeah I didn't think you meant those games had voice recognition. I just meant does DS definitely have voice recognition.

BTW, have you seen, or heard of a Zelda game being demonstrated on DS?

Back