Nintendo DS redesign is here: DS Lite

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Megadrive1988, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Megadrive1988

Veteran

[​IMG]

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/news/060126.html

http://ds.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=3230

#1 Megadrive1988, Jan 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2006
  2. Hardknock

Veteran

Looks great! :)

3. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

Yeah, it does. I wish tho they'd gone and done the full replaceable shell thingy like with GBA micro, but this has an even stronger resemblance to the good ol' Game & Watch Dual Screen games. Damn, I loved those when I was a kid... :)

4. tema

Banned

Looks good but early Nintendo handheld adoptors are screwed. as always. :roll:

5. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

:shock:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=14271
    That was like yesterday. And today there's a new DS. Either executive officials in companies don't know anything, or the whole world's full of liars!

6. Hardknock

Veteran

How in the world are we screwed!? We've had the system for over a year now! I'm happy we're getting a new design. And Nintendo is still going to sell the regular DS, just at a cheaper price. Win win for everybody.

7. -tkf-

Legend

I just got mine, this looks way cooler, but also smaller = bad for big hands, so all in all i'm happy, would have liked better screens though :)

8. Hardknock

Veteran

[​IMG]

Here's some retarded photoshop that got a chuckle out of me. Heh.

9. Nicked

Regular

It looks great (although I can't seem to get that perfect photoshop shadowing at home :(), I just wish they had've waited longer until they could make it *much* smaller than the DS.

10. Evil_Cloud

Veteran

Tempted to get one... Looks great. =)

The ABXY and D-pad looks a lot like the buttons on the Revolution controller.

11. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

How could it get any smaller? The bottom side of the DS is only the size of the screen+ the buttons. A GBA/SP design probably wouldn't work as it'd be less supportive of the touchscreen and ergonomic in one-hand control.

12. Nicked

Regular

Smaller screen (like GB Micro). I don't know how this would affect ease-of-use for the touch-screen control, but neither the original nor this are ergonomically optimal anyway.

I mean, the difference between this and the pure white NDS isn't very great at all.

13. Blade

Veteran

True. In fact, this one might be more difficult to hold than the original.

14. Branduil

Newcomer

Make the screen much smaller and games like Meteos would be hell to play.

This looks good though. I wonder how the new D-Pad feels.

15. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

:shock: What size screen do you want? I think the DS's current screen is too small (having been spoilt by PSPs screen size!).

16. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

I agree. A smaller screen size is about the last thing I'd want in a portable console. As a general principle, I'd even prefer to sacrifice some battery to get a bigger screen.

17. Nicked

Regular

[​IMG]
    Somewhere between what we're getting and what GB Micro is delivering :/

18. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

:roll:

You should never buy anything, because there will be a better version of it coming out in the future. Hide all your money in your mattress and just wait until the instant before you die to buy anything, that way you won't ever be disappointed.

19. Goragoth

Regular

Heh, Nintendo did a pretty good job keeping a lid on this. Rumours were running wild but I'm pretty sure most people didn't expect a redesign to be announced until E3 at the earliest. I just got my DS a couple of weeks ago but I will be picking one these up, maybe import it since it will no doubt take months before arriving here (NZ). No problem though, my brothers and sisters have been fighting over time on my DS anyway, it won't go unused that's for sure.

As for the size, I find the current DS is already pretty much small enough (fits in my pockets fine) and with the new model looking a bit slimmer I don't really see a problem. They already have the micro if you need ultra portability and making the screen smaller isn't an option as it would make the touchscreen impossible to use in many games. If anything the a bigger screen would be nice but I'll settle for brighter (in anything but perfect (indoor) lighting conditions it very quickly becomes impossible to see anything on the current DS screen).

Anyway, great news. I had already given up hope after the announcement promised by Lik-Sang to happen on the 16th never happened.

20. Goragoth

Regular

I've just been reading up on it and it looks like it will have a glossy finish. I know this is all the rage these days but I really wish they had stayed with the matte finish like the current version. Sure glossy looks nice when you first buy the thing but it quickly start to look ugly with scratches and fingerprints/smudges all over it (I know from experience with my iPod).