Nintendo confirms low price and no Hi Def for Revolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guden Oden said:
Yeah, because we all know graphics is more important than anything else...

I know It's not. BUT. We have 640 X 480 since what... 1995 ? Ever heard a word called "progress" ?

I just can't stand that low of a resolution anymore. It's plain ugly. No game can really stand out graphically at 640 X 480. And it looks even worse on HDTVs.

Point is, with High-Def, Ninentendo could have played in the fields of X360 and PS3.

dopefishzzz said:
I know It's not. BUT. We have 640 X 480 since what... 1995 ? Ever heard a word called "progress" ?

I just can't stand that low of a resolution anymore. It's plain ugly. No game can really stand out graphically at 640 X 480. And it looks even worse on HDTVs.

Point is, with High-Def, Ninentendo could have played in the fields of X360 and PS3.

I don't think there was a 640x480i game released till 1998...
Then 640x480p wasn't around till 1999(and dreamcast's 640x480p looked much better than current consoles, if rev has perfect IQ at 640x480 that wouldn't be so bad).
Then we took a step back with ps2 and went to 640x240.
then back up to 640x480p with gamecube and xbox.

Well I've already seen reviews that state playing a Xbox 360 game in HD makes a big difference than playing it in SD so what does this mean?

Cornman said:
for the final time the REV controller IS NOT a lightgun. Nintendo said it tracks in 360 degrees and can even detect twists.

stop trolling the thread.

I didn't say it was a lightgun twit. I simply said that it has a limit on how quickly you can turn.

PC-Engine said:
Yep I remember reading MP allows you to turn 180 degrees with the Revolution controller without having to turn around like an idiot.

I remember that it allowed you to circle strafe, but I can do that in Halo using a gamepad.

If you read something that says it will let you do a 360 spin as fast as a mouse let me know.

pc999 said:
But if you can use the controller like a mouse (once it does have total 3D control and 3D rotations too, you could simple ignore (in the software) one of the dimensions and the rotation and you get a mouse, or add more things) I dont see why not will it be good (it is said to be at least as precisse as a mouse too), plus the thumbstick is better for walk/run/step to the side... (at least IMO), so it can be as good as a mouse, unless I got something wrong if I did, please, explain me.

For you, I'll explain.

There are sensor bars placed on the top and side of your TV for the Revolution controller. The controller acts like a mouse as long as it's pointed somewhere within the confines of those sensors.

Once the controller it pointed outside of the sensor box (Beyond the edge of the TV screen) the game takes over and controls rotational speed.

If it didn't, 2 things would happen.

#1. In order to turn 180 degrees you would physically have to turn around and face away from the TV screen.

#2. There would be a single point forward. In otherwords, if forward was north in your game and you turned to the left, you (Or at least your hand) would have to stay turned. The only way you could point the controller at the TV again is if you turned back north in the game.

Resolution is largely irrelevant to graphics quality. I can watch a 320 x 240 movie on my little 3" LCD on my PDA and it looks incredibly good. Even a movie at 320 x 240 from a crappy VCR tape on a 36" TV looks better than any current game. No game on earth has even come close to reproducing a virtual reality indestinguishable from a movie even in plain old NTSC resolution.

I realize there are other issues in generating computer based graphics that higher resolutions help with (AA for example) but raw resolution is a small facet of the final image quality for movies and games in motion.

Powderkeg said:
If you read something that says it will let you do a 360 spin as fast as a mouse let me know.
Ummm, how's about instead of a 360 degree spin you just keep facing the way you are? :p

It'd be easy enough to have a quick turn button that when you hold down and flick your wrist left or right the character turns a 180 in that direction.

Berak said:
Resolution is largely irrelevant to graphics quality. I can watch a 320 x 240 movie on my little 3" LCD on my PDA and it looks incredibly good. Even a movie at 320 x 240 from a crappy VCR tape on a 36" TV looks better than any current game. No game on earth has even come close to reproducing a virtual reality indestinguishable from a movie even in plain old NTSC resolution.

I realize there are other issues in generating computer based graphics that higher resolutions help with (AA for example) but raw resolution is a small facet of the final image quality for movies and games in motion.

Bah, you can't compare real life to a digital image. You could say real life has an infinite resolution, and just the output res is 320x240, if current games were rendered internally at 2048x2048 and output at 640x480, they would look significantly better as well. The Silent Hill games on PC I believe have an option to set the backbuffer up to 2048x2048, it kills performance but it does look much better.

Powderkeg said:
For you, I'll explain.

There are sensor bars placed on the top and side of your TV for the Revolution controller. The controller acts like a mouse as long as it's pointed somewhere within the confines of those sensors.

Once the controller it pointed outside of the sensor box (Beyond the edge of the TV screen) the game takes over and controls rotational speed.

Why do you need to point to your TV? If it is needed then you couldnt play those sword fighting/fishing/tennis/... games like they show in the video , unless I am making a major error in my knowledge about the Rev control, I never heard that is need to point to the TV (it not even make sence considering the video) unless you use it like a light gun.

Powderkeg, your knowledge of the Revolution controller is absolutely terrible. Sorry but if your going to bad mouth the thing at every opportunity then surely its only right to try to find something out about the controller. All it takes is for you to read a hands on article...

The Revolution will have the same rotation speed limitations that a thumbstick has. There is a limit on how far you can move the controller while still keeping it pointed at the TV, just like there is a limit on how far a thumbstick can move. Anything beyond that point is speed limited by the game.

As people have pointed out to you a thousand times it is not a pointer. The speed of movement in game does not have to work linearly with the movement of the controller. The controller can be made to cover the entire screen with only very small subtle movements, or it can be made to work linearly like a pointer, its down to the developer/user to configure it how they want it (just like a mouse which you can configure to move very slowly or very quickly).

Last edited by a moderator:
dopefishzzz said:

Yeah, I always thought that Metroid Prime and Rebel Strike were indistinguishable from high-res N64 games like Duke Nukem 3D right and Rogue Leader, graphically speaking. Must have been the low resolution.

pc999 said:
Why do you need to point to your TV? If it is needed then you couldnt play those sword fighting/fishing/tennis/... games like they show in the video , unless I am making a major error in my knowledge about the Rev control, I never heard that is need to point to the TV (it not even make sence considering the video) unless you use it like a light gun.

We are talking about First person shooters specifically, in which case you would need to point it at the screen like a lightgun.

Teasy said:
Powderkeg, your knowledge of the Revolution controller is absolutely terrible. Sorry but if your going to bad mouth the thing at every opportunity then surely its only right to try to find something out about the controller. All it takes is for you to read a hands on article...

As people have pointed out to you a thousand times it is not a pointer. The speed of movement in game does not have to work linearly with the movement of the controller. The controller can be made to cover the entire screen with only very small subtle movements, or it can be made to work linearly like a pointer, its down to the developer/user to configure it how they want it (just like a mouse which you can configure to move very slowly or very quickly).

Wow, you really don't get it, do you?

Here, let me make an example for you.

Pretend your finger is the Revolution controller. Point your finger at the center of your monitor screen.

Now, let's say you are playing an FPS. You are walking forward. Someone attacks you from 90 degrees to the right.

Now, to turn you have to point the controller 90 degrees to the right. Once you've found your target you must leave the controller aimed 90 degrees to the right and try to aim. If the target moves another 90 degrees to the right you must point the controller directly away from the TV and try to aim.

Now, is that how you think it's going to work? Do you think any developer in his right mind would make a FPS where you had to face away from the TV to fight enemies behind you?

The only other alternative is you place a limit on how far left/right/up/down the controller needs to be moved and allow the game to take over the rotation once that limit has been exceeded.

For example. You point the controller to the right edge of the screen and it rotates until you see your target and then you stop rotating and aim by pointing at your target.

Now, which of those two ways of control do you think sounds more intuative?

I get it and its not an issue, in fact its the same 'issue' that faces you when you use a mouse every time you play a FPS. Just instead of lifting the mouse from the mat to stop movement while you quickly recenter your holding a button on the controller to stop movement while you quickly recenter. Also once again the on screen movement does not have to be effected linearly by the movement of the controller. So no a 90 degree movement on screen does not neccesarily require a 90 degree movement of the controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Powderkeg said:
The only other alternative is you place a limit on how far left/right/up/down the controller needs to be moved and allow the game to take over the rotation once that limit has been exceeded.

I've been thinking that they will do some other scheme whereby rotation is mapped to a different input (say a thumbstick for the left hand) and the gun is merely used for mouse-looking up to the edge of the screen.

There are many control schemes that could be mapped to the freestyle controller. One is a direct 1:1 method, which I'm 100% sure would never be used in an FPS.

How about this? Inside a 90 degree cone in front of you the aiming reticle is slaved to your movements, but your character turns 4 degrees for every 1 degree you turn (now you can aim behind you by turning your wrist only 45 degrees). Outside of this range your character will turn continuously even if you keep the controller in the same place, and faster the further you are from the cone. To execute a quick 180, jerk the controller to the left, outside the cone, then back in to aim at your target. Then, you can also make use of the much lauded light gun feature by pushing the controller forward. This frees your view from your hand movement and just your gun will track the controller position, so you can shoot something in the corner of the screen quickly without having to center your vision on it.

Sounds to me like a much more prolific input scheme for an FPS than a gamepad or mouse/keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back