Nintendo confirms low price and no Hi Def for Revolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you suggesting that many people will wait for Revolution and have that as their only system?

Maybe he's suggesting exactly what he said, that you can't take a poll like that as any kind of fact. Also just because you wouldn't consider having Revolution as your primary system doesn't mean other people wouldn't. Even according to the poll you set to much stock in 8-9 million people would :D. And that's before Revolution has really been revealed properly (no video's shown, no third party game announcements ect).

fearsomepirate said:
You must have missed Fils-Aime's long speech where he explained how the industry can't survive by targeting boys/young men between the age of 14 and 22. Sure, there'll be cool games for guys like us, but you need to stop thinking of us as Nintendo's "target demographic." Their target demographic is people who aren't playing video games or are getting tired of video games, and they're figuring that a higher screen resolution isn't going to be what entices them, kind of like how girls and adults prefer Nintendogs and Brain Training over Wipeout Pure and GTA: LCS. Nintendo's going through a paradigm shift, and part of that shift means that they're not focusing on people who get excited about SLI'd 7800 GTX's.

While I dearly respect that a lot, Nintendo also has had a foot hold in the handheld space for over 15 years. With no true competition for 15 years you can make a paradigm shift and succeed easily. Give the PSP 2 to 4 more years and then when can return to your point.

It will be a lot harder to sell people brain training type game (aka non-games) to people in the console space. It's not impossible, it's just going to be a little harder.

P.S. Also don't forget that the PSP has already caught up to the DS in overall software sales in NA even though it had no holiday season and came out 4 months later.

Well PS2 must have about that, if there's apparently 7000 PS2 titles for PS3 to be BC with.

PS2 has 1350 third party titles either released or in development in the US. No way does PS2 have 5650 unique (not released in the US) third party titles released/in development in Japan/Europe. No doubt the 7000 titles said by Sony counts every version of each game, for instance a game that's released in the US, Japan and Europe will be counted three times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teasy said:
PS2 has 1350 third party titles either released or in development in the US. No way does PS2 have 5650 unique (not released in the US) third party titles released/in development in Japan. No doubt the 7000 titles said by Sony counts every version of each game, for instance a game that's released in the US, Japan and Europe will be counted three times.

YES.

Nintendo's strategy is needed, but so is more power. You want to be able to immerse people in believable environments - this opens up new genres and new experiences. People, not just the target 18-35 demographic, want to see better graphics, better physics, and better animation. It's just like the movies - people want to see better FX.

Absolutely better graphics, physics and AI are needed. But remember that Nintendo's stratergy includes all those things. Even if Revolution isn't as powerful as its competition it will still be a generation ahead PS2/GC/XBox.

jvd said:
the n64 came out what almost 2 years after and was at 200$ which i believe is what the psone and saturn were at .

THe psone and saturn kept droping in price. However the n64 did have the graphical edge. But the cost of games were alot due to the carts.

I really think if the n64 was cd based it would have taken a much bigger share of the market. Mabye around 50m units instead of the 30ish it was able to do. The cost of the games(70ish usd) kept me away from it as i was only in highschool and that was alot to drop on a game .

1st party (and usually 2nd party) games stayed around $50...3rd party games went up to $60 and $70 though (but most sucked), and games didn't really drop in price like on the PSX. PSX's player's choice series, combined with the general fall of prices, led to some very cheap older games, whereas most N64 games did not enter player's choice and when they did they only dropped to like $40.

Was the Mario in Sunshine that much more detailed than the Mario in Mario 64? Maybe the lack of visual difference accounted partly for Sunshine not seeming to sell as well as Mario 64 did.

It was a huge difference, Mario in Mario 64 was flat shaded with no textures.
However, the Mario in Super Smash Bros Melee was much better, with extremely detailed textures. In fact, pretty much every character model looked better in melee than in its actual games, in both fluidity of motion and texture quality. I know some people who don't like Melee's look, and say it has too much of an 'edge' or that it tries to make the characters look too realistic.(bowser got a lot of complaints)

BTW, I also know a few people who are fed up with current gaming that want a Rev, mostly for the old school games though, that and its position as the cheapest next gen console. The only people I know interested in Rev for the actual new stuff it will bring are hardcore Nintendo fans.

Ty said:
In other words, you can't (relative to your competitors) magically have:

Cheap
Powerful
Close launch dates
Small

All in one tidy package.

I dont need to be as powerfull as the others, in fact they can be much less powerfull (till 1/3) the only place they need to be equal (or almost) is the CPU, because for most people (more if they get new gamers) will not see difference between HD games and no HD.

avaya said:
Nintendo's strategy is needed, but so is more power.

They will have more power, just not as much more as their competitors. DS is a lot more powerful than GBA, remember? Gamecube was basically a DX7-equivalent machine with a little bit of extra elven magic. Expect Revolution to be a DX9-equivalent machine.

[quote mckmas8808]With no true competition for 15 years you can make a paradigm shift and succeed easily[/quote]

And if you're getting your ass handed to you in a market, if you don't shift your paradigm, you will die. You also need a profitable paradigm, and they've decided that blowing billions to buy the most pixel shaders and pay off the most 3rd parties for exclusives is just way, way too risky. You'll see elsewhere in the speech, Reggie pointed out that the victor in the next race to grab the usual demographic with the most powerful technology isn't guaranteed to make any money.

DS had very few compelling titles in the US until Nintendogs hit, and now it's hitting its stride with a steady stream of must-have titles. Let's see how the two handhelds finish out the year...and let's see which company manages to make a profit.

This rumor, or is it a promise, sounds a bit too good to be true, but if Nintendo come through with that I think they will be facing a race to buy their console. I figure most of those older games are rather small in size too, so it won't be a day long download to acquire them. Sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

Its most definitely not just a rumour, its a 100% guarenteed feature of the console, I'm also looking forward to it BTW! :)

pc999 said:
most people (more if they get new gamers) will not see difference between HD games and no HD.

I doubt that most people are that blind, the difference is bigger than you make it sound. I know that some people have difficulties spotting differences between RGB vs composite, but the difference between 720p and 480p is bigger.

There's no evidence that whatever GPU the Revolution ends up using will be capable of the same kind of shading performance or support other things like AA or HDR at a level comparable to the Xenos and RSX. So just because it won't support HD resolutions doesn't necessarily mean it has the power to do these other effects.

In fact, has Nintendo shown any demos of Revolution-native games? Considering that the Revolution may launch around the same time as the PS3, it's overdue, isn't it?

Nintendo will probably feature the controller and new gameplay aspects then graphics of the Revolution games it features. If playing back the legacy games becomes a big part of whatever success the Revolution has, then it won't need great GPU performance.

fearsomepirate said:
And if you're getting your ass handed to you in a market, if you don't shift your paradigm, you will die. You also need a profitable paradigm, and they've decided that blowing billions to buy the most pixel shaders and pay off the most 3rd parties for exclusives is just way, way too risky. You'll see elsewhere in the speech, Reggie pointed out that the victor in the next race to grab the usual demographic with the most powerful technology isn't guaranteed to make any money.

This I agree with.

wco81 said:
If playing back the legacy games becomes a big part of whatever success the Revolution has, then it won't need great GPU performance.

If playing back the legacy games is that important to the Revolution buyers then Nintendo will die a horrible console death. Old games are great, but Nintendo shouldn't put too much weight behind it.

Dr Evil said:
I doubt that most people are that blind, the difference is bigger than you make it sound. I know that some people have difficulties spotting differences between RGB vs composite, but the difference between 720p and 480p is bigger.

Because most people dont have, or will have anytime soon, HDTVs, we are talking about all the potential consumers not only tech heads people with money to buy HDTVs...

wco81 said:
There's no evidence that whatever GPU the Revolution ends up using will be capable of the same kind of shading performance or support other things like AA or HDR at a level comparable to the Xenos and RSX. So just because it won't support HD resolutions doesn't necessarily mean it has the power to do these other effects.

They said something like it will be very similar when you see them in normal TVs, if one as (eg) HDR and the others does not then it is not comparable IMO.

In fact, has Nintendo shown any demos of Revolution-native games? Considering that the Revolution may launch around the same time as the PS3, it's overdue, isn't it?

We still dont know the PS3 lauch date, and we dont know nothing about Rev date (I supossse we can belive that is only after E3 once they need to show it at full hype) still I think it would be better point for Q3/Q406 there is very good reason to that here

I doubt that most people are that blind, the difference is bigger than you make it sound.

Most of my friends will sit there and play Doom 3 at 640x480 on a Radeon 9800 and I say "look you can turn up the resolution" and they'll say "So it doesn't look any different, and its slower..". I can't understand it but there it is.

There is no evidence to the contrary either. Also once again, if its rendering at one third the resolution then it doesn't need shading performance of the same level to complete. At one third the resolution even one third of the pixel shading performance would do.

pc999 said:
Because most people dont have, or will have anytime soon, HDTVs, we are talking about all the potential consumers not only tech heads people with money to buy HDTVs...

The fact that most people don't have HDTV's today shouldn't stop a company from using it in a product that will last for 5+ years. In 2008 most people in America will have a HDTV. This could possibly hurt Nintendo in the long run.

Teasy said:
Incidentally I honestly doubt that this generation will last much longer then 4 years.

Respectfully speaking I think it is absouletly no way next-gen will last 4 years. There has to be only like a 1% chance of that happening. Wouldn't the game publishers be mad if all 3 companies folded around the year 2010? And Sony has already stated that they want the PS3 to last ten years so...
fragend013.gif

mckmas8808 said:
The fact that most people don't have HDTV's today shouldn't stop a company from using it in a product that will last for 5+ years. In 2008 most people in America will have a HDTV. This could possibly hurt Nintendo in the long run.

I am not american so I dont see why unless most of normal TV get damage and HDTVs are at the same price of no HDTVs ones or everyone get a lot of money to spend and it starts a epidemic hurge to buy HDTVs, I doubt any of those or something exotic like those, but in Europe at least it should take a lot longer anyway.

The fact that most people don't have HDTV's today shouldn't stop a company from using it in a product that will last for 5+ years.

But it can start one from selling at lower price with equal results for 5+ years, it just a different prespective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back