Nintendo announce: Nintendo NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo and latest and greatest technology parts do not mix.

New rumours?

Ain't nobody got time to read gaf's endless threads, so I just read wccftech's quotes and I'll try to put my own wrap-up here.
This goes from higher number of independent sources to lower:

3 Sources:
- Controller has a screen and a very basic SoC that will run a simple O.S. and stream games from the main console. NintenRemote Playdo.
- Enhanced Streaming Tech where my take would be using H265 video encoding, 2-stream MIMO WiFi and maybe support for 5GHz. Speculation from the poster is that the Supplementary Computing Devices in the patents may be just WiFi range extenders.

2 Sources:
- Luigi's Mansion 3 in development for the NX

1 Source:
- Nintendo using a custom AMD APU with an iGPU carrying the same featureset as Polaris, plus Nintendo-specific customizations. Quotes are: marginably better than the PS4 and theoretically could be 2X the power of a PS4 GPU. By this last sentence I assume the GPU has a larger CU count than Liverpool (20-24 CUs) and architectural improvements could bring higher performance. Primitive Discard Accelerator was mentioned.
- Nintendo wants to use Vulkan and teh primary API for the NX. However, Vulkan isn't ready yet so for now they're using an adapted version of the PS4 API called GMNX.
- Lots of games being developed for the platform right now, it'll be a much better launch than the Wii U in that respect.

Ain't nobody got time to read gaf's endless threads, so I just read wccftech's quotes and I'll try to put my own wrap-up here.
This goes from higher number of independent sources to lower:

3 Sources:
- Controller has a screen and a very basic SoC that will run a simple O.S. and stream games from the main console. NintenRemote Playdo.
- Enhanced Streaming Tech where my take would be using H265 video encoding, 2-stream MIMO WiFi and maybe support for 5GHz. Speculation from the poster is that the Supplementary Computing Devices in the patents may be just WiFi range extenders.

2 Sources:
- Luigi's Mansion 3 in development for the NX

1 Source:
- Nintendo using a custom AMD APU with an iGPU carrying the same featureset as Polaris, plus Nintendo-specific customizations. Quotes are: marginably better than the PS4 and theoretically could be 2X the power of a PS4 GPU. By this last sentence I assume the GPU has a larger CU count than Liverpool (20-24 CUs) and architectural improvements could bring higher performance. Primitive Discard Accelerator was mentioned.
- Nintendo wants to use Vulkan and teh primary API for the NX. However, Vulkan isn't ready yet so for now they're using an adapted version of the PS4 API called GMNX.
- Lots of games being developed for the platform right now, it'll be a much better launch than the Wii U in that respect.
Not the first time we have the controller/screen allowing to stream games in a NX leak...

GNMX on NX is really odd. I thought GNMX was a Sony API only available to PS4 devs.

At least a few bits from the sources in that article were wrong (like ffxv being unlikely due to Sony paying for some of the development, missing the fact that it's coming to xbone).

It does make you wonder how good those sources really are. Beyond generally assuming it's probably not true. [emoji4]

Still, a Polaris based device is what I'd like to see. I don't want my kids first console to substandard!

At least a few bits from the sources in that article were wrong (like ffxv being unlikely due to Sony paying for some of the development, missing the fact that it's coming to xbone).

That was referring to Final Fantasy VII Remake, not FFXV:

Final Fantasy XV on NX. My single source on this said he’s heard more of his sources mention it’s coming to NX. No idea when. I pressed for FFVIIR but nobody has heard about it. Gaf’s very own mod Kagari hinted that Sony may have co-funded it and it may never get released outside of PS4 and PC (like Street Fighter V).

Sounds like bullshit to me. Without having major western third party support already lined up, I don't think Nintendo has a chance of selling a premium console. If they had that support, there would be plenty of leaks already. But even if they had the support, I think a mid-gen launch's timing is awful for many to seriously switch.

I think Nintendo has to dug themselves into a hole where they either have to live with being a second console or a console that sells to non-traditional console gamers. It's gotta cheap for either group, and for the later, I think nowadays, there are too few people.

The next could have be 14nm, it could have a more powerful CPU (that wouldn't be hard), but it won't be a powerful system overall. I'm still sticking with a prediction of a console that's around $249 and pull less than 50W at the wall.

That's quite ridiculous.
I doubt there is any chance Sony would permit this.
On other hand API for Wii was called GX, GX2 for Wii U and was made with AMD support. GX3 for NX or GNX would be a good abbreviation for a new API.

The GNMX rumour just puts all the other sources on the rumour in a bad position.
GNM and GNMX are sony property, and not available to third party, much less a competitor.
So, I really doubt that person even knows what it is talking about.

I want more rumors damned! It is not even funny. I really eager to learn about Nintendo choices especially in the face of likely yet to unveiled 4TFLOPS Monster Sony is about to unleash on the market.
I always advocate for reasonable pretty low end devices but in the face of Sony's move I think there is no room for an average or bad design. The NX will face mature XB1 and PS4, as well as a revamped version of the later. The odd for a gimmick to make up for a bad gimped design are at there lowest in a good while ..

I would think even though they are competitors, they might be very well aware of each other SDK and hardware...
It's not difficult to copy & paste files these days you know...

(Not that it gives any weight to the rumor.)

I would think even though they are competitors, they might be very well aware of each other SDK and hardware...
It's not difficult to copy & paste files these days you know...

(Not that it gives any weight to the rumor.)
Yet they released the WiiU which according to their internal projections should have "kept up" (speak about a damned lie lol).
I believe that there is a risk that Sony and MSFT are disconnecting themselves from the market if they both release hardware significantly different just after 3 years. There is an opportunity for an actor to reborn console which were always living in a parallel universe to computers. Console was always lagging PC (punching above their weght but still) now they are eating more and more into the PC market, and they are no longer as cheap as they used to and it is not like the economy is so forgiving for the average Joe, quite the contrary. I think that it would be reasonable bet at this point to release a cheap but good system, and may be make compromise of the some forms, like going with download only and a pricing more akin to PC games.
It is really not something I see Nintendo do though it would not surprise me if within a couple a year the bet may look even more reasonable ( whether or not NIntendo choices or new comers move toward that market).

Last edited:
2017? Whoever would have expected!

Too be fair I wouldn't have been surprised if it slipped to 2018. But I was sure it wasn't coming in 16.

Videogames are almost always delayed, doubly Nintendo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back