Nintendo 3DS hardware thread

For a technological dummy like me, how does this compare to the likes of GC/Xbox/Wii? It sounds way more powerful than PSP from those numbers.

:LOL:

Programmer art eh, can't beat it! :smile:

For a technological dummy like me, how does this compare to the likes of GC/Xbox/Wii? It sounds way more powerful than PSP from those numbers.

All we really know at this point is the featureset and architecture used, we have no idea of the raw throughput of the derivative that Nintendo is using yet. There could be an order of magnitude worth of variation depending on which version Nintendo has chosen and how fast they've clocked it.

Have they added more vertex shader units to the 2008 model? The first slide from 2006 claims 15.3m tri's per second at 200Mhz. The second from 2008 claims 40m tri's per second at 100Mhz.

Have they added more vertex shader units to the 2008 model? The first slide from 2006 claims 15.3m tri's per second at 200Mhz. The second from 2008 claims 40m tri's per second at 100Mhz.

Holy poop on a stick! Really? 15.3m is already beyond GC by a little bit!

Holy poop on a stick! Really? 15.3m is already beyond GC by a little bit!

The two spec sheets are above, the blue one is from 2006 and the one posted afterwards is from 2008. They both point to very different levels of geometry performance. I'm only speculating on why/how. Surely the most likely answer would be more vertex shader units in the newer model?

Last edited by a moderator:
The two spec sheets are above, the blue one is from 2006 and the one posted afterwards is from 2008. They both point to very different levels of geometry performance. I'm only speculating on why/how. Surely the most likely answer would be more vertex shader units in the newer model?

Yeah, I saw. I mean, if it was that amazing back in 2006, just imagine it now. I bet they can achieve similar results at the 2006 chip at around 60Mhz... provided it scales linearly of course. It's very exciting for battery life + graphical performance whore that I am. I've pretty much been an exclusive handheld guy for the last 4 - 5 years.

Remember that the 3DS basically needs to be able to do 800x240 at least at 60fps for 3D. It needs more rendering power, comparatively.

Remember that the 3DS basically needs to be able to do 800x240 at least at 60fps for 3D. It needs more rendering power, comparatively.

More like it needs to do 400x240 * 2N to target a frame rate rate of N. The geometry processing load doubles too, not just the pixel/texel rates.

Speaking of which, since we're looking at fixed-point, does anyone have any idea as to what the TMU count/texel rate is like for this thing, and how many texels it supports per pixel regardless of overhead?

Also why would it need at least 60fps?

i think i read somewhere that 60fps is needed because it will give 400x240@30fps for each eyes
to make things still look smooth not choppy on 3D mode.

sorry my bad english

Yeah, my mistake. Should be either the 800 minimum or the 30 fps for each eye, not both (though would be nice of course ;) )

i think i read somewhere that 60fps is needed because it will give 400x240@30fps for each eyes
to make things still look smooth not choppy on 3D mode.

sorry my bad english

The effect is achieved by rendering at 800x240 and splitting the horizontal resolution between the right and left eye for a 3D resolution of 400x240. So no fixed framerate is required and 30fps will still be 30fps.

Back