Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by AlBran, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

I agree. I just meant statements such as this will become fodder.

2. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

I would have agreed with you years ago. However, with triple-A gaming budgets becoming more massive/expensive towards assets creations and engine development, including all the laboring hours and monies behind developing a forefront game... reducing bottlenecks at the hardware level ensures a certain amount of cost towards development goes down. That's why I'm a big believer in ray-tracing succeeding..., so that developers aren't wasting countless hours/monies on developing baked lighting/shadowing/reflections or any other suitable task for RT hardware. Let them spend more time towards developing more enjoyable play-mechanics and finding better ways of managing patching/updating games.

3. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

On the other hand, they'll have a bit of a balancing act for PCs.

4. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

"I saw a public Sony demo that used extreme amounts of texture and other content in a dense city."

Um, if it wasn't Spider-Man (which I would believe he would have mentioned), what particular demo was he privy to? I remember reading a rumor on Reddit about a similar demo that wasn't Spider-Man related, but something possibly related to an in-house game.

5. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

Guerilla is rumored to be working on a MP shooter in addition to Horizon 2.

Shortbread likes this.
  6. DavidGraham

Veteran

I believe he just described the Spider Man demo.

Globalisateur, Shortbread and OCASM like this.
  7. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Not that I disagree, but you would have thought "I seen the PS5 Spider-Man demo" would have been sufficient enough or rather obvious on mentioning.

8. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

given the date.. hmm.. it probably was the spiderman video- perhaps around the time of the investor one

Shortbread likes this.
  9. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

I should have looked at the date... thought it was something posted today.

Edit: I see anexanhume is trying to verify it as such.

10. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

I sell video games for a living. PS1, PS2, Gamecube and Xbox have seen the largest growth so far this year. NES, SNES and Genesis have seen a large drop off. N64 has stayed about the same, unit wise, but there's been a bit of an uptick in dollars because we've been selling more of the higher end stuff.

People still play old games, except really old stuff like Atari and Intellivision. The drop off in 8 and 16bit games corresponded with the release of the micro consoles (NES Classic, ect) and raspberry pi system becoming easy enough to set up, along with people who grew up with those games aging out of the market. I don't think they stopped playing, it's just that at this point, if you are in your late 30s or 40s and grew up with a NES or SNES, you've probably got every game you want by now. But the people who grew up with a PS1, PS2, or something from those generations, they are aging into the "retro" market, and buying games they played as kids.

11. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

I'm pretty sure Sony isn't tracking PS5 rumors, or the vast majority of them anyhow. But I'm wondering if the supposed PS5 leak from last year has more merit than all the rest. Can someone link that November or December leak again? Just curious about something...

12. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Equally, once you have a raytraced lighting engine, it's not so simple to have very dark areas near very bright areas because that's not how photons work. You're swapping one technical problem for, perhaps a more traditional problem, usually solved by a good lighting director. Lighting directors who know how to fake, mute and diffuse lighting using invisible lighting filters. It'll be interesting to see if this is a net win or lose in the long term.

RT is inevitable at this point, though.

Silent_Buddha likes this.
  13. turkey

Regular Newcomer

This one?
    https://pastebin.com/PY9vaTsR

I'm a third party small developer from EU,for the last 8 months i've been helping a well known company in a AAA game development that is set to release in 2020 as a lunch game for PS5........

Shortbread likes this.
  14. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

Overcooked 3 with raytraced pans confirmed?

Cuthalu, Malo, London-boy and 2 others like this.
  15. jlippo

Veteran Regular

Some do.

If the loading times and image quality problems would be fixed some of the games would be amazing to play. (Sub-pixel precision, general texturemapping quality, AA etc.)

London-boy likes this.
  16. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

That's addressed by dynamic tone-mapping. Mark areas as higher contrast, lower brightness, higher saturation. Or even include fields that affect rays by reducing the energy as they pass through. Or add shadow-casters; anti-lights. Camera-invisible objects that shine a negative brightness. Or add illumination data in the shader, sampling not just the surface's alebdo times light, but also scaling it by a brightness factor -basically enable negative emission values. Once people are up to speed implementing RT, creating tools and best practice for artistry should be pretty straight-forward.

#2576 Shifty Geezer, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    OCASM, DavidGraham and Shortbread like this.
  17. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Yes, that's one. I have the feeling this is the more likely candidate that got noticed. Well, reportedly PSVR 2 isn't coming 2020, so the doc is wrong there for sure.

18. goonergaz

Veteran

Ace Combat maybe?

19. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Why is there some type of weird consensus among some gamers that Sony is only aiming for a $399 next-gen box, while Microsoft the sky is the limit with Anaconda? I’m pretty sure PS5/Ana aren’t going over $499 ($549 tops).

20. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

We think we are very smart.
    It’s pretty much all that is.

There is a reason why staticians love Niave Bayes, removes all biases.

Shortbread likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.