Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by AlBran, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

Could be as simple as a NEON unit in an Arm CPU.

2. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

ARM has SVE and SVE2 as well.

3. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

https://www.cnet.com/news/sonys-pla...ss-transition-to-its-next-generation-console/
    Default version? Meaning there is more than one PS5 sku? Even if he wasn't implying that, I still can see Sony offering two models (1TB and 2TB SSD) at launch.

4. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

It probably means that the minimum denominator is SSD. There will be no PS5 model ever without an SSD. If they then decide to have a Pro, or other configurations of the base model, they will all come with the same SSD speeds, which I think is the main take away point. Games will be built with that speed in mind.

milk and Shortbread like this.
  5. RDGoodla

Regular Newcomer

AMD has designed various GPUs with different architecture and faces all kinds of backward compatibility problems. Is their experience helpful to solve compatibility of PS4?

6. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

On PC where the hardware is abstracted through the APIs. Very different kettle of fish.

Shortbread, BRiT, temesgen and 3 others like this.
  7. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Anyone betting on PS1, PS2 and PS3 BC being a thing with PS5? I can see Microsoft hammering home the message (during E3) that Xbox-Next is BC with all prior Xbox systems.

8. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

I imagine they’ll move to PS3 eventually. Definitely preferable to having PS3 racks for PSNow. They already emulate PS1/PS2, and i would be surprised if they added disc support.

#2548 anexanhume, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  9. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Maybe the CELL God's will bless us with their presence once again. :mrgreen::runaway:

10. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

https://www.cnet.com/news/sonys-pla...ss-transition-to-its-next-generation-console/
    "Whether it's backwards compatibility or the possibility of cross generational play, we'll be able to transition that community to next-gen," he said. "It won't be a binary choice about whether you have to be ether on PlayStation 4 or next-gen to continue your friendship."

Long interview, wasn't sure where to put it. and wanted to share, but need to go back to work:
    "
    In his conversation with CNET, Ryan said an SSD storage drive Sony custom-designed for the console will be offered as part of the default version. He also added that the device will offer ultra-high definition 4K visuals at 120Hz, which is twice the screen refresh rate of most TVs.

Ryan declined to discuss the company's plans for the PSVR, other than to say the company's pleased with its success so far."

egoless, OCASM and Shortbread like this.
  11. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

AMD's hardware on computers is abstracted by drivers and APIs, in PlayStation 4 it is not. It's not insurmountable to have a specially engineered PS4 environment for PS5 where even thin low-level API calls to changed/deprecated hardware is handled but it lacks the elegance of Microsoft's approach - which isn't without its drawbacks either. But legacy support isn't one of them.

AlBran, anexanhume and BRiT like this.
  12. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

With all due respect, but who still plays PS1 games? Even PS2 games? Is this a thing?

egoless likes this.
  13. dogen

Regular Newcomer

i do
    why not if they're good?

goonergaz likes this.
  14. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

I've been playing Champions of Norrath with friends local coop the past couple months on a PC emulator at 1080p (framerate sometimes slowing tanking sadly :(). Every similar dungeon crawler since is inferior in the coop experience. Even the hugely more popular Diablo 3 is a dumb button masher that's all about the numbers. This week we tried the newly released Warhammer Chaosbane on PS4, and it's pretty weak, like almost all dungeon crawlers.

There are a fair number of games that haven't had sequels, or the sequels changed the formula.

Shortbread likes this.
  15. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

Have you played Dungeon Siege 3?

16. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Yes. I've played everything! The major strength CON has over all these others is the block mechanic. Playing level one characters in hardest difficulty requires us to take turns blocking holding off the enemy while the others chip away at their health. Otherwise, all these games end up not cooperating but co-existing, three or four players independently killing mobs at the same time.

XMen Legends 2 is a game I'd play again if PS5 has disc-based BC.

Shortbread, Silent_Buddha and AlBran like this.
  17. metacore

Newcomer

Wonder if this some hint in light of rumors/patents of custom SSD. Certainly looks like someone in the know. On higher level I agree, as 8-16 x scaling in memory beetween generations are thing of past, carefull cacheing of assets with help of these new nand tool will be especialy important.

18. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

Begun, the platform wars have.

#2558 anexanhume, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  19. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

From a certain point of view.

It's the bottlenecks that force creativity & create a necessity for efficiency and optimization.

20. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Richard seems to be making a general statement here. I don't think he's had the chance to see either console in person, a bit like us.
    His commentary is useful to keep in mind for next gen though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.